SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Buying 3 yr old home--questions

loves2read
15 years ago

We have contract on 3 yr old home that was custom built by owners but there were some features they did not add--like radiant barrier decking under-roof...

they used fiberglass in walls I am sure because there is blown fiberglass in attic...although they could have beefed it up since the inspector says that it is heavier than code...

I think it would be smart to get energy raters/retrofiting type company to assess the house before we move in and get stuff up in the attic --- our energy use may differ from the owners--we are just empty nesters and won't use the uptairs much at all--they had college age girls and a mother living with them----so from usage standpoint theirs would be higher anyway...

my husband did not want to do energy assessment during the option period--he says the house is better built that the one we are moving from and he knew that the owner was not going to pay for any upgrades...

some features of design show that they did things to lower energy use--like not having large windows on west side of house...but then again they did not use the radiant barrier decking--and it is compositin roof so taking those panels off when it is reroofed is just too expensive...

I know we need to get water heater blankets for the two gas water heaters--they are in the attic--

and I know it needs some weather stipping on the outside doors...

would it be smart to have the audit done on such a new home before we move in or wait and see what the bills will be?

What to look for in choosing someone to do the energy audit and any upgrades?

Comments (3)