SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joulesr4me

storing hurricane *necessities*

joulesR4me
18 years ago

Though I'm not a *regular* on this board (I should be), I'm hoping you all might have some time to give me some advice/suggestions ....

I live in the central FL area and have dealt with the routine of hurricane evacuations since I was a kid. What I learned over the years is that waiting for the storm to develop (and impending strike) is not the time to start preparing. My organization skills are usually limited to creating list, but rarely using them. Sigh. However, six or seven years ago I took my first baby step ... preparing a hurricane evacuation kit. The Kit has grown like a weed. I actually bought a larger vehicle to enable me to tote The Kit in case of evacuation. (This is one thing that I would not advise --- purchase of a huge, unnecessary SUV --- but that's another story.) Anyway ... my kit now includes the typical stuff like water, food & first aid stuff and also camping equipment (in case there's nothin' left) and repair items (in case some is left). I used to store the small stuff in milk crates and the tent/sleeping bag/other large stuff in the guest room closet. But, I'm getting a room-mate and need to relocate The Kit. Do you all have any ideas for storing this stuff??? The milk crates are pretty handy for the food items, but I have nothing to *corral* the larger things together or the odd shaped stuff (flashlights, candles, small tools, bleach, paper plates, etc). Some of this stuff could be stored in the garage --- that is, if I had a garage (NOT). Thanks for any suggestions you might have - just preparing The Kit is enough stress. Time to replenish the food items. Though it's a little costly to purchase enough non-perishibles for the suggested two weeks, it's worth the peace of mind. Last year I was on travel when Hurricane Frances came our way. Took the red-eye home, stopped at Walmart for some bread (with 100 other people) and fruit, slapped up the plywood at 3:00 am, loaded the truck with The Kit and The Dogs and headed north. Hit Jacksonville by midnight. What an ordeal - returned home needing only a bit of maintenance and w/o power for about a week. It was weeks before there was gas or food in the stores, so I was thankful for The Kit!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations