2/3 cup milk

5 egg yolks

1/4 cup sugar

1/8 tsp salt

1 cups hazelnuts, toasted

1 tbsp Frangelico

1-1/4 cups whipping cream

Directions:

Place a bowl and beaters in the freezer for the whipping cream, to be used later.

Soak the gelatin in the cold water in a small container.

Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler.

Measure the milk in a pyrex liquid measuring cup, and microwave it 45 seconds on high, or until it is scalded. Add to the chocolate and stir to blend.

Combine the egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl and beat until blended. Add the milk & chocolate mixture slowly, stirring constantly, so that the eggs do not cook. Return the mixture to the double boiler and cook until it begins to thicken, stirring constantly. This will take a few minutes, probably about 10-12.

Stir in the gelatin and mix until dissolved.

Coarsely chop the hazelnuts, combine them with the chocolate mixture, and add the Frangelico.

Chill the entire mixture until about to set, which should take about 30-40 minutes or so, depending on your refrigerator. You do not want it to be too stiff, and so you should check it often, if it appears to start to cool. If it gets too stiff, you will have to warm it slightly by returning it to the double boiler with hot (but not boiling) water in the bottom, or you can float the bowl in a larger bowl of warm to hot water and stir until it is a good consistency.

Remove the bowl and beater from the freezer, and add the whipping cream to the bowl. Whip the cream until stiff, and fold into the slightly chilled chocolate mixture. Pour the combined mixture into an 8" pie pan with cookie (or graham cracker) crust and one dessert cup. Chill thoroughly (at least 12 hours) before serving.

Yield: one 8" pie and one dessert cup, or one 9" pie. I like to have a little bit of the pudding without the pie crust.

At holidays, I double the recipe. If you do not want to use Frangelico, you can use 1/2 tsp vanilla instead. You can also add extra whipped cream on top.

Lars

Comments (18)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES