SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petra_il

My turn to ask the what-for-backsplash question :)

petra_il
16 years ago

My countertops went in yesterday so now I am at "what do I do for backsplash" stage ... ok, I know it will be glazed tile, most likely on diagonal, without any special designs or anything. I picked up some samples yesterday and now I keep looking at them. I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND!

My cabinets are light maple, though the overall tone is more toward medium, light floors, light countertop, light paint - I don't want to end up with everything light blah. I wanted to have a kitchen that's light and warm and so far everything works well together but the backsplash is throwing me off.

I love the chocolate tile but when I put it against the wall, it darkens even more. There is enough wall area above the corner sink that backsplash would probably overwhelm everything and would be the only thing anyone would see. Also, I don't like combining different color tiles in the same backsplash, just doesn't do it for me, so keeping some lighter and some darker tiles wouldn't work.

So, question to all you wonderful ladies and gentlemen, what do I do? Anyone has done dark backsplash with light everything? Care to post pictures? I did search our wonderful galleries and didn't find enough to get a feel for what it would look like.

Or any other recommendations? I do need to think about resale so nothing crazy (read artistic), and nothing too modern (this is a small midwestern town with more traditional kitchens). Please help! I'm stuck ... I wish the tile I picked originally was still available, I loved it, but, it was discontinued and I didn't find anything similar.

(it's the one below the wood & countertop samples)

Oh, and I'm still not posting my final or 99% final pictures because sink and faucet are still not hooked up. That should (!) happen today though, it's exciting.

Here is a link that might be useful: VivR's kitchen

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!