SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Glass swinging door in a bungalow?

artemis78
13 years ago

We're about to start a kitchen remodel, and I happened to find a great door for our space at our local salvage yard. However, we have two doors to replace: our patio door, which is currently a 12-lite glass wooden door that leaks like crazy, and our swinging door, which was cut down by a previous owner to clear kitchen flooring that we're taking out.

The new door is a 9-lite Craftsman-style door, full glass. The glass is tempered but not double-paned, which was what we'd originally planned to get for the exterior door. The door itself is fir. Our door jambs are all exactly the same size, so it would fit either doorway. No holes are drilled in it at all right now. (It's a new, never installed door.)

So, my question....clearly we could use it for the exterior door, but would it work equally well for the swinging door? I'd love to have glass there in order to see through, but just can't tell how safe/smart that is. It will be open 90% of the time, and is only closed on rare occasions when we are closing the kitchen space off, so I also like the idea of having a door that will be less imposing in the space. Will tempered glass be enough to make this work, and can you drill a standard door to be a swinging door? (We have all of the hardware on the current door, so we're in good shape there.) Has anyone seen a swinging door that's full glass? (I know there are some with little windows, but this guy is floor-to-ceiling glass.)

FWIW, the house is a 1915 California bungalow and the current doors in both spaces are original to the house.

Would love thoughts on whether this would work and which space this door is a better candidate for---thanks!

Comments (6)