SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honorbiltkit

Can I make this Sears kit house porch look more level?

honorbiltkit
13 years ago

I am renovating a 1922 Sears kit house with a front porch that runs across its full width, anchored by three piers. Although the porch is solid and without cracks, visually it slopes from the leftmost to the center pier. The first step down slopes in the other direction and has a higher riser than the other steps.

We know from working on the piers that the structure of the porch is concrete over terra cotta block. I really do not want to cut into it, and so am hoping that I can do something with the first step down that would both raise the step itself vis a vis the porch floor and make the slope of the porch itself less obvious.

{{gwi:2001135}}

Please note that the problem is not primarily a functional one. I would just like to make the steps/porch look less askew if I can do so without cutting into the terra cotta.

Is it possible to somehow rough up the second step down and apply a layer of concrete that thickens enough right to left to even them up? Would the new concrete adhere well enough to wear a few years once the entire structure is painted? Would some special mix be needed?

I adore this small house and am trying to give it the work it deserves without investing a whole lot more than is could ever conceivably be worth in the marketplace.

I will grateful for any answers or suggestions for alternative approaches. Thanks.

Thanks.

Comments (12)