SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahandbray_gw

Take out old radiator in kitchen remodel?

sarahandbray
18 years ago

My husband and I are at odds about taking out the old coil radiator in the kitchen of our late 19th century house. Our tenant moves out of that portion of the house July 1st, and total kitchen demo starts July 2nd (by yours truly!)!!!! Bottom line is, I want to remove it since the kitchen is not large to begin with and one whole wall w/the radiator is deemed useless because of it. (see pic below....radiator is under the kitchen table our tenant has on the whole right wall). Our poor cabinet designer has been scratching his head like crazy trying to make everything fit without taking it out, but it's just not working.

I am adament about keeping the radiators in the whole rest of the house because they work wonderfully and add to the charm of this old house, but we really NEED that wall to be utilized fully in this kitchen (as you can see, there isn't even room for a refrigerator in the kitchen--it's home is in the hall). I figured I would get some strong opinions one way or another on this board, so bring it on!!

Other heating options I've been researching have been toe-kick electric heaters or an always-on Aga stove. Again, opinions or anecdotes welcome!

Thanks so much!

Sarah

Comments (22)