SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amt782

Help identifying house style!

amt782
11 years ago

I know that not all houses are going to neatly fit into a specific style category but I would at least like to narrow down the options! I just bought a house that was built in 1904 and designed by an architect (not out of sears catalog). It was poorly remodeled many times prior to my acquiring it and therefore lacks many original "clues" on how to proceed with specific style elements. I live in a historic district so all houses are old but are styled quite differently than my own (more elaborate and almost definitely victorian). The building itself has not been altered and consists of 3 floors not including basement. 1000 square feet on the first and second floors and 850 on the third floor. Its solid brick with 8 over 8 double hung wood windows (storm windows on the front of house make it look like two seperate 4 over 4 but they are coming down soon). The only other elements we know to be original are the front door, sidelights, windows, main staircase and interior doors which are oak 5 panel. We need to replace the exterior shutters and add missing interior and exterior door trim and I want to make sure our choices are appropriate. We also have 3 fireplaces with were stripped of original mantels. Ideas, input, suggestions?

From Stairs

From Stairs

Comments (9)