SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

Song you danced to at your wedding?

susan_on
15 years ago

Mine was Colour My World by Chicago. My wedding was in 1980. We just heard it last night, so I've been thinking about it today. I still think it's a beautiful song.

What song did you have for your wedding dance?

Comments (47)

• glenda_al
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No dancing! Reception held at the church.

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

Queen, "Another One Bites the Dust"

Not really, we had a simple no-frills wedding between two Sunday services.

If I would have had a dancing sort of reception (We took our six guests out to a nice local restaurant and ordered off the menu.) I would have worked that song in somewhere.

I figure, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

• Related Discussions

Wedding Dance and another shot at Basuto. Still no dice.

Q

Comments (13)
    UFO!!!! I graduated HS the same year Jodi. While I loved Rock, I eventually turned into a real disco boy. Grew up where they filmed Saturday Night Fever, Danced at Studio 54 (did way more than dance, but the kids are reading this post...LOL)I was also one of those New Wave nuts for a while, you know, green / blue pony tail, ala Duran Duran hair...scary, but damn those were some great times in NYC. Larissa, that Basuto is beautiful even if you don't think you're getting the color correct. And Wedding Dance is gorgeous, have you tried a Ludwigs Dazzler yet? The little H. Larissa I have has not grown any leaves yet but the bulb seems to have grown quite a bit in size, can't wait for the sunroom to warm a bit more at night, that's when the growth will start. Lar, the Papillio babies are holding their own, and I think we may have talked about an aphroditie? they are recovering nicely from the bulbfly surgery and seem to be enlarging. I find the aphrodite to be evergreen, the forced dormancy last fall 07, was not appreciated by the bulbs. They are also repeat bloomers for me, 3-4 stalks a year. Spring and summer from surprisingly small bulbs for the amount of bloom. Now, you're starting to sound like Jodi with her soil, back away from the Basuto... Gotta get me a Basuto, Black Pearl, or even a Red Lion. Can't believe I have no solid red here! Zombie is showing signs of a stalk, Piccolo, and Jungle Bells (thanks for the JB Mariava)are as well. I've got a vittatum from Jane_artist that is also putting out roots and the bulb is enlarging but no leaf growth yet. Here is a link that might be useful: For Jodi
    ...See More

Doing a Dance and Song!!

Q

Comments (7)
    Lovely shots of the garden and the red tulip closeup. But were is the picture of you dancing in the garden? You would think Bowie would lend his support to such a joyous ocasion but I don't see a picture of him dancing either :-)) Congrats on you daylily winnings. Isn't it nice to win something that you want? Squeeze those daylilies in somewhere.
    ...See More

What was your wedding song?

Q

Comments (14)
    Ours was "True Love Ways" by Buddy Holly. I'm more of an old country listener(but I do like the oldies too) and DH likes the oldies. I looked for months and asked him a few times if he had any songs he wanted he just keep saying any song you want is fine with me, he did not want much to do with the planning of the wedding. Then one day we herd it on the radio and he said hey we should have this song, I liked it, so we did.
    ...See More

Great song for first dance

Q

Comments (2)
    my DH and I thought that the first dance should really spring from our own relationship somehow. We didn't have an "our song," so I asked DH to pick one that he liked, that meant something to him somehow. he picked Bruce Springsteen's, "All the Heaven Will Allow." It made me cry. Then the band his dad hired (good for Yugoslavian ballroom dancing, lousy lousy for all the rock 'n' roll type stuff) BUTCHERED it! It was awful to dance to. I was so MAD! Then, we saw the video someone had taken, a few weeks later, and I laughed SO hard I literally fell out of my chair onto the floor. My stomach was cramping up so hard with laughing, I couldn't straighten up.
    ...See More
  • susan_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Caroline, that cracked me up!!

• kurmudgeon
    15 years ago

Here you go

Here is a link that might be useful: Here

• samkaren
    15 years ago

We had the song "You and I" by Dolenz, Jones, Boyce and Hart. It was 1987 before CD's were invented. Our DJ borrowed my album to play that song.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

No dancing here either. We were married in DH's Grandparents backyard, they owned the whole half block full of trees and gardens. Then the 2 atttendants and DH and I went out for steaks on us.
    The next evening was a reception/supper put on by our parents. In the backyard again. A few hours and that was it.
    2005 DH and I did it again, in a park in Deadwood SD! LOL No family at all. I wish we could throw a big anniversary celebration and have dancing and food but its too spendy now.

• deemarie5500
    15 years ago

We had 2!

We got married in 2000, but danced to "Only You" by the Platters. Later in the evening, they played "Still of the Night" by the 5 Satins (I think?). We loved the words to those oldie songs.

• declansmom
    15 years ago

We got married in 1982 and our song was "For Once In My Life".

• JoanMN
    15 years ago

Look At Us, by Vince Gill. 1992.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look at us

• lynn_d
    15 years ago

Anne Murray, You and Me Against the World and Carole King's You've gotta Friend.

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

I can't remember. Our reception was a champagne brunch at the in-laws (his bro & SIL) beautiful home and we played "oldies" tapes for dancing. Everyone had a great time.

• taigen_gw
    15 years ago

"We've only just begun" the Carpenters

• matti5
    15 years ago

Married in 1981. Ours was "Just the two of us", then we switched into "Celebration" by Kool and the gang.

• jel48
    15 years ago

We didn't dance. We were married by a judge at the county courthouse with 10 friends and family members to share the occasion with. Then we took everyone to dinner at a Chinese buffet. Then the two of us went driving around and spent the remainder of the afternoon at a state park with a beautiful white sand beach (lake superior). It was a beautiful day.

When we talked about what kind of a wedding we wanted, we talked about a 'first dance' song and we agreed that if we had a dance it would be 'Color My World'. Funny coincidence, isn't it? Since Susan started this thread and she and her DH danced to 'Color My World'. We decided to go simple though as this was a third wedding for each of us (third and last.... we agree!).

No dance at either of my earlier weddings either. The first was followed by a cake and coffee reception in the church basement, and the second was a back yard wedding.

• susan_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What year did you get married, Jel?

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Alanah Myles "A Song Instead of a Kiss".

Here is a link that might be useful: Song Instead of a Kiss

• foggyj
    15 years ago

More- by Bobby Darin

• jannie
    15 years ago

You Can Ring My Bell. I don't remember the singer, a girl.

• missindia2020
    15 years ago

No dancing allowed at our reception.

• jel48
    15 years ago

Susan... 2008 - Gary and I are newlyweds married June 25th.
    Or if you mean the other times, 2003 (big big mistake and didn't last long) and previously 1973 to my children's dad, who (despite our divorce) is one of the nicest people I've ever met.

• susan_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was just wondering when you got married because the song is older now. But it seems so beautiful and timeless.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

We were married in 1981. Our song was "I love you just the way you are" by Billy Joel. Still is one of our favorites. NancyLouise

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

Hmmm my wedding was without dancing. I was new in this country, and had no idea of the wedding traditions. Also my English sucked MAJOR!

My inlaws didn't drink or dance. I feel, like I had a lovely wedding. My mother in law planned it all for me. Did a SUPER job. She was a joy to have as a MIL.

So, no song.

Moni

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

1985 - Mickey Gilley "Stand By Me"

• susanjf_gw
    15 years ago

none. it was at my parents home in vegas...

• barbara3
    15 years ago

Rod Stewart's "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?" Our first real date was a Rod Stewart concert so it was appropriate. Our dance before leaving was "I Swear" by John Michael Montgomery.

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

I can't recall - sorry.

It was 50 years ago this coming October ... and it took us three days to get married, so you'd have thought that it would have stuck ... well it did - for eleven years plus a bit!

When my colleague married a British nurse during my first term, it took place at the British embassy, as they had extra-territorial privileges. Both Wilf and I showed up at the embassy that morning in our white reversed clerical collars ... and when the young clerk who was to officate went to leave the room, he was so discombobulated by the sight of those collars (we figured) that he reached for the door handle three times before he connected with it!

I met and was impressed with Sue while taking a one-year course at Cornell, while she, having transferred from Iowa State after second year, was finishing her third year of a four-year course in hospital food service. There was some discussion of our being married before my return to Korea, with Sue abandoning her four-year course in hospital food service after three years, but I said that she'd better stay and graduate, as my Mom had become ill when I was about six and died a few years later, and I'd seen massive disruption of families in Korea while working among refugees ... suppose Sue had to become family bread-winner several years into our marriage: three years into a four-year course would be of about as much use as nothing, so she finished her degree.(1)

Shortly after Sue's graduation, following her arrival in Korea in the fall of the following year, we visited the U.S. Embassy to set up arrangements for our marriage (no Canadian Embassy in Korea at the time). As they'd been established in Korea later, they weren't allowed extra-territorial privileges, so we had to fill out papers and take them to the Seoul City Hall for registration ... which we did on a Thursday.

On Friday we picked up the papers at Seoul City Hall and took them back to the U.S. Embassy to have them registered. I don't recall what declarations, promises and pledges that we had to make at either (or both) of them ... but I figure that we were officially married as of Friday.

Then on Saturday we went for our wedding service to the chapel of a Presbyterian Seminary which our church had supported for several years, largely due it's having been established by a professor who originated from the north-east area of Korea, where our mission had worked prior to World War II (and where we weren't able to go, after that war was over) ... and we had no quarrel with his theological stance.

As the eastern end of Russia borders on the north-east area of Korea, the Russians were mightily unwilling to have the U.S. influence sitting on any portion of their border ... and the U.S. was seriously disturbed with the idea of having the Russians sitting on the south end of Korea, only a few miles across the straits from their new vassal state of Japan ... so they decided to run a line across the centre of Korea, with each having a sphere of influence on either side. Can you imagine the uproar if some agency (U.N. or other) started telling the U.S. that they were going to divide their country down along the Mississippi?? Actually ... that it had already been decided upon, without their having had any voice in the matter.

In the beginning, it wasn't expected that such a line would become impermeable ... but that's the way that it turned out. Imagine - no buses, trains, cars or planes going over the Mississippi ... or phone calls, letters, newspapers, etc.

Nothing. For over 60 years, currently. No news of families or loved ones during all of those years.

The original Presbyterian Seminary, long closed, had been in Pyongyang: the father of the medical doctor who was my best man had taught there. When, on entering the U.S., they asked Ian where he'd been born ... sometimes things would get a bit sticky for a while.

The large Presbyterian Church in Korea, much more conservative than their major supporter, the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. (perhaps somewhat less so than their secondary supporting agency, the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.) established a seminary in Seoul later: though the leader of the earlier seminary was a gentle, mild-mannered man ... he questioned Moses claimed authourship of the first five books of the Bible, the Pentateuch, including the account of his own death ... which was an article of faith of the more right-wing major church. So, claiming that he was a heretic, they established their own seminary.

After our wedding, we had a dinner and party at our major mission house in Seoul, with games and other fun, as I recall, but I don't think that dancing was part of it.

Can't check with the major lady involved, as we parted over 35 years ago and, unfortunately, scarcely spoke during those years ... and she died something over four years ago.

The officiating clergyman died several years ago (having suffered dementia for a few years) and his wife, who was matron of honour with Sue, moved to Calgary (to be near her resident daughter - the other lives in Malaysia). Best man died a couple of years ago.

So - can't tell you what was the memorable song to which we danced at our reception.

I hope that you all have a lovely week.

ole joyful

1. Some people sure do prattle on ... imagine - most of this paragraph is one sentence! Sure hope you didn't lose your way, half way through.

o j

• ronm80
    15 years ago

Don't remember We got married in 1965. I love deemarie5500 post.
    We had 2!

We got married in 2000, but danced to "Only You" by the Platters. Later in the evening, they played "Still of the Night" by the 5 Satins (I think?). We loved the words to those oldie songs.

• sandy_in_ia
    15 years ago

1982...Endless Love by Diana Ross & Lionel Richie. My SIL (she was 8.5 months preggers!) and family friend sang it at our wedding. Reception in the church basement then a hog roast at my brothers farm for the party...and there wasn't really much dancing...BUT lots of drinking! LOL Dean's nephew is a DJ and whenever we are at a family wedding he will always play that song for us. So we have danced to it many times.

• evatx
    15 years ago

No dancing at my wedding. The reception was the cake, punch & coffee kind in the church hall in 1962.

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

No dancing or reception. We were married by a JP at the court house in January of 1966. We got married that day because the weather was cold and nasty and Jody couldn't work.
    He always worked every day he could...so everything was situated around that. Fine by me. I never wanted a wedding. I was much happier taking a little money and buying our first piece of property a few months later.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

Shoot! I meant to ask DH before he went to bed. It was a Heart song I think, something that he really liked. We didn't have a large wedding or reception, but it was very memorable. My Mom was so mad at my Dad, who got a bit 'tipsy' (not like him at all)... he had such a fun time though.

• susan_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Barracuda? LOL!

Just teasing. That's the Heart song that always comes to mind :)

• danihoney
    15 years ago

We had two. It was 1997, our first was "Cross my Heart" by George Strait and the second was "Two of a
    Kind, Workin on a Full House" By Garth Brooks. Then the party started...

• donna37
    15 years ago

No song here, got married in DH's sister's back yard with her DH doing the deed, he was a Baptist minister. Had cake and punch in the yard, meanwhile SIL's little boy about 3 years old and DH's daughter almost 2, were busy unrolling the roll of film that SIL had taken of us.

SIL had an app't for her family to have a family portrait made that same day, so gave us the app't so we at least have the one picture.

• mtnwomanbc
    15 years ago

Wedding was October 19888. I don't remember a specific song we danced to, but our processional song was "Songbird" by Kenny G, but played by my soon-to-be SIL and BIL on flute and piano (prof. musicians both). I think we may have had our first dance to that as well.

We had a hard time selecting what kind of music to have at our reception since DH's family is full of musicians -- I didn't want a DJ, DH didn't want generic wedding-style instrumental jazz or standard band. At my company picnic a couple of months before the big event, we noted a band of four strolling Dixie-land style musicians -- music was great, and as DH's family originating from Louisiana and Alabama, it was the obvious choice. They worked out wonderfully at the wedding reception -- uptempo Dixie jazz plus some standards. We didn't want any family members to play at the reception itself so they could also enjoy the festivities.

• girlsingardens
    15 years ago

When Dan and I got married, we were just out of college, he was starting a new job, I didn't have a job and we moved 120 miles away the day after our honeymoon. Ouf song was "Living on Love" by Alan Jackson. Believe me that there have been more than a few times in this life that money was tight but love got us through.

Stacie

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

October 28, 1989 ~ Our song was "Crazy" by Kenny Rogers. It fits ;o)

• margad
    15 years ago

It was 58 years ago and I don't remember.

• czech_chick
    15 years ago

Married by a judge at the courthouse then went out for lunch with the family and the small wedding party.

If we had a wedding reception, the first dance would have been to "Here, There and Everywhere" by the Beatles.

Carol

• trishaw
    15 years ago

We were married by a judge in my dad's yard, so no dancing really. But my dad played a very nice cd of some sort in the backround. Our "song" is Garth Brooks, Two of a Kind, Workin' on A Full House. Gives me grins everytime I hear it!

Trish

• bearcat_va
    15 years ago

Al Green's "Let's Stay Together". :) DH used to sing it to me in the car when we were dating.

• firemanswife
    15 years ago

We were married in 1993 and danced to John Michael Montgomery's "I Love The Way You Love Me". DH surprised me and had the band play "Look At You Girl" and I danced with my dad.

• momrox4
    15 years ago

Anne Murray's "May I Have This Dance (for the Rest of My Life)".

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

No dancing at either of my 2 weddings. But I sang at a few of them. My first (my cousin's wedding, I was 15) was "We've only just begun". My funniest (unintentionally) was my first husband's cousin's wedding. I sang a song I had written a few years earlier. I was 8 months pregnant, but failed to catch the hilarity until a few days later: "My love for you each day grows stronger. I cannot hide it any longer".

• lilliepad
    15 years ago

No dance at our wedding Feb.23,1960.We married at my aunt's house with cake and punch reception.If we'd had a song to dance to it would have been "Only You" by the Platters.The words expressed how we both felt (and still feel 49 years later) about each other.
    Marilyn-DH worked all the time too,didn't get paid unless he worked.We tried to plan the day for a Friday so we would have the weekend for the "honeymoon",such as it would be because we had no money to go anywhere.LOL We married on his parent's 25th. anniversary and it didn't work out to be on a Friday.I can't remember what day of the week it was but after the wedding we went and ate at a steak house,42 miles away,then went back home.We lived in the country,17 miles from where he worked and 27 miles from there to the town where my parents lived.Next morning we woke up to 6 in. of snow on the ground! I dressed up in my "going away" suit,heels and SIL's fur jacket she had loaned me. I took him to work then drove to my mom's and spent most of the day with her.She had a fit because I drove that 27 miles with snow on the ground!LOL I went to the grocery store,then picked him up after work and went back home to the country!

• susan_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I loved reading about everyone's wedding stories. The wedding dance songs, for those who had them, were beautiful picks. I want to thank everyone who shared memories from their day.