SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

any of you suffer from allodynia?

16 years ago

In case you do have it, but just don't know the medical name, allodynia is when an area of skin on your body is extremely sensitive, for no apparent reason, meaning you aren't sick at the time and have not been injured in any way. It's a surface pain of extremely sensitive skin, not involving any deep tissue muscular pain, and there is no rash, discoloration or change in texture of the affected skin.

In the past I occasionally suffered from allodynia for a few days, where the skin on one side of my face would be extremely sensitive to touch, or my scalp would hurt even to gently brush my hair. My DD occasionally gets an area of skin on her upper arm that gets overly sensitive. But just after Halloween, I started experiencing allodynia on the skin of my left thigh, roughly the circumference of a baseball. Although it's not my entire thigh, it happens to be in the upper outer area where the buttocks meets the thigh. I've never been a touch sensitive person, so clothing seams or tags have never bothered me, but it's just downright cruel IMO, that the area where I have allodynia is right where I always have contact from the outer seam of my pants and the elastic leg of my underwear! I hoped this would disappear quickly, as any past episodes I had were limited to a few days. But it's now been almost 4 months and doesn't appear to be in any hurry to fade away. The area burns or stings exactly like a really bad sunburn that you don't want anything touching, except it never gets better. Over the counter pain meds like Tylenol etc. don't relieve it, but I don't think it's quite bad enough to get into perscription pain meds which can be highly addictive for something that may be long term.

I have been found to be completely healthy and don't suffer from any autoimmune disease, stress or depression, so there's no real clue for my doctor. She said the body sometimes comes up with weird symptoms that won't actually harm us, but their goal seems to be just to make us miserable, lol! They say misery loves company, anyone else dealing with this on a daily basis?

Comments (5)