SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_r_ct

Kitchenaid/Kenmore/etc. DW fires

lynn_r_ct
12 years ago

Local (CT) NBC station reported on the Kitchaid DW's that have been smoking and/or catching on fire due to the melting of the computer board. Apparently hundreds have reported this across the country. They interviewed local people in tiny CT, (so this is not an isolated issue) who also had the same problem.

The general concensus is that Kitchaid/Kenmoore/Maytag/etc. said they would not be responsible for any of the fires as the warranty period had expired, even though many of these were fairly new (like mine). Customers and reporters also asked the Consumer Protection Agency if they were involved in the issue. It was reported that the while the CPA admitted they had received complaints, they COULD NOT admit if there was any ongoing reviews of the problem. (And where are my tax dollars going???)

When I "googled" the info, I find that there is an attorney who is trying to have people join a class action suit. I don't know about anyone else, but every time I have done that for one reason or another - the only one that makes money is the legal firm and I got nothing, so I have no intention of doing that. I still want something done though.

The information shows that it is not just one model # but many. It also indicates that Kitchaid knew of this problem for some time but did nothing and continued to use the same control panel in their machines.

There are requests for videos that show this problem i.e. smoking/fires. I start my dishwasher before I go to sleep. Do I, or anyone else, have to wait until something disasterous happens before they can have this issue resolved? Any what is proper compensation? New dishwasher? New computer board? Opinions and advise please.

Xpost on appliance board.

Comments (12)