SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanim_gw

Dealing with emotional clutter over 'things'

jeanim
16 years ago

I've been reading the thread on being "liberated" from things and realized there's quite a bit left that I could get rid off but haven't......because of memories or guilt or whatever. I'm sure this topic has been addressed before in these forums, just haven't found it yet!

The background is my husband passed away a little over 3 yrs. ago, then my mother 2 weeks later, then 9 months after that Katrina destroyed my home and almost everything I owned. Fast forward to now.....I rebuilt my home, moved back in and then got remarried 4 months ago.

These are my issues:

Most everything I have was given/ donated to me to replace my furnishings lost in the storm. I'm beginning to replace that with new items and don't have a problem re-donating most of it to be used by someone else in need. I really began to enjoy living with just a few things and realized that most "things" are replaceable and don't matter in the long run. SO....why do I feel guilty about getting rid of some of the items given to me?

Second, there's all the stuff that did survive the storm. Christmas things that were in storage....my late husband loved Christmas and I have about 8 large boxes of decorations and ornaments plus a huge village collection complete with ice skating rink and train! I have downsized my home so much that I don't have room to use all this stuff. The village hasn't been put out in several years because it got too big! I hate to get rid of the things he loved, I guess maybe I feel guilty because I don't have that much left of his things.....and I'm remarried....

Then, all the knick knacks that survived the storm! I dug through the mud and muck to rescue everything that could possibly be saved, then spent days cleaning and packing it up, put it in storage until I moved back in my house...and now what? It survived Katrina, it was important to me because it was all I had left and now I don't need or want most of it anymore. GUILT!!!!!

I realize I have some issues! LOL Writing this out has helped me a lot, I think and if you've read this far...Thank you for listening! Any words of wisdom out there?

Comments (23)