SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donk4kyv

Drywall question

AMRadiohead3885
11 years ago

I recently put up drywall directly over plywood sheathing in a large room. See my follow-up in http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/oldhouse/msg0502410625081.html?11
I taped the joints using fibreglass mesh, and have completed the first coat of mud over the joints. I used a setting type compound, 90-minute Durabond that comes in the brown bags. Got sidetracked with other events, and it has been a couple of weeks since I put down the first layer of compound. The joints came out pretty well, but I have just noticed hair-line cracking in the cured compound along some of the joints.

I can't see how the drywall panels could have shifted to cause this, since they are firmly screwed down to the back-up sheathing as well as glued withconstruction adhesive, so the cracks must be due to shrinkage of the joint compound. The compound I used is supposed to be "minimally" shrinking.

I am debating whether or not to re-tape over the cracks, maybe with paper tape this time, or if I can expect the next layers of mud to satisfactorily cover the cracks without additional taping. I plan to use regular pre-mixed non-setting compound for the finishing coats.

Don in TN

This post was edited by donk4kyv on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 3:16

Comments (10)