SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babycakes85

Apple Bread Recipes Wanted

babycakes85
15 years ago

Apple picking is soon approaching and I am looking for an apple bread recipe of some sort and I can't find any....or maybe even some apple muffin recipes....I would greatly appreciate any input! Thanks!

Comments (25)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A fall favorite that can be made in regular loaf pans as well. Will take longer to bake of course.

Pumpkin Apple Bread
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 t. salt
    2 t. baking soda
    1 1/2 t. cinnamon
    1 t. ground or fresh grated nutmeg
    1 t. ground cloves
    1/4 t. ground allspice
    1 16 oz. can pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 1/4 cups sugar
    4 large eggs, beaten
    2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped small (about 2 cups)

Topping:

1 TB flour
    5 TB sugar
    1 t. cinnamon
    1 TB unsalted butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350F and grease 6 mini loaf pans (3" by 5 1/2" in size).

Into a large bowl sift flour, salt, soda, and spices. In another bowl, whisk to blend pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture until well combined. Fold in apples; divide batter between pans. Make a slight hollow in the center of the loaves. Blend topping ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle topping on each loaf.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Test in the center of a loaf with a toothpick. Cool in pans on a rack for 45 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. Will keep chilled and wrapped for one week. Will keep frozen, well wrapped for one month.

I like this recipe for gift giving during the holidays and to add to gift bags of homemade goodies.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Not sure what the difference between bread and cake is....but here's one that can be baked in a loaf pan or in a 7 1/2 by 11 dish....or even in a muffin cup.

Apple cake

4 cups chopped apples
    1 cups sugar ( can use ½ splenda)
    ½ cup raisins ( I use chopped other fruit like dried peaches or apricots or craisins)
    Mix and let sit for about an hour ( less is OK)
    2 cups flour
    1 ½ tsps baking soda ( I like ¾ tsps soda and ¾ tsps BP)
    ¾ tsps salt
    1T cinnamon ¼ tsp nutmeg
    Mix dry ingredients
    2 eggs
    ¾ cups veggie oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    beat together
    1 cup chopped pecans if desired.
    Add the oil and eggs to the apples and sugar and dried fruit. Stir in the dry mixture and add nuts if desires.
    Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan and bake 350 until doneÂ..40 to 50 minutes.
    Serve with cake gravy if desired.

Cake Gravy
    Mix 1 cup sugar
    1 stick butter
    ½ cup evap milk
    1 tsp vanillaÂ.
    Mix all and cook all in a sauce pan for about 3 minutes.
    Serve warm over the cake.

• Related Discussions

Foccacia Bread recipe for a bread maker?

Q

Comments (5)
    Karen - Just yesterday I cracked my "Bread Machines for Dummies" in an effort to finally motivate to try my bread machine. Here's a paraphrased version of their recipe. Obviously not T&T but I'd expect it to be reliable. Dump in room temp ingredients in the following order: 1 cup water 2T olive oil 1t salt 4t sugar 3 cups flour 2.25t active dry yeast Select Dough or Manual setting. Once cycle is complete, shape into a ball on lightly floured surface. Place on greased cookie sheet and flatten to a 10" circle. Prick with a fork. Arrange toppings (suggestions are thinly sliced roasted pepper, sun-dried tomato, red onions, olives, green pepper, sesame seeds, sauteed onions with sugar and salt) and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle Italian seasoning, S&P to taste. Cover and let rise about 15 min. Bake in preheated 375 oven for 25 to 30 min. Good luck!
    ...See More

Wanted: Nancy's Apple Maple Jam Recipe

Q

Comments (15)
    I just did 14 half pints of that jam Saturday night. About 9 p.m. the jam was simmering away and the power went off, some drunk hit a power pole and I lost my lights. My stove is gas, though, so I finished up by lantern light! The jam was just as good as always, I used half Ida Reds and half local Ginger Gold apples and doubled the batch. It "jells" really well, even without the peels. I hate commercial pectin and it hates me, it's too inconsistent for me, so I love these recipes that don't need it. In addition, if you don't need pectin you can cut the sugar down and I did cut it down to about half because Dad shouldn't have all that sugar. Well, he shouldn't eat the jam at all, but he does, so he gets at least half the sugar! Be sure to taste to make sure it's sweet enough for you if you do that. The Ida Reds cooked down so much they could have been apple butter, but the Ginger Golds stayed firmer, thankfully. This is one of my favorite jam recipes, I make a couple of batches every year. Michael, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Annie
    ...See More

LOOKING for: want moist banana bread recipe

Q

Comments (13)
    Just posted this on the Cooking Forum. It is very moist due to the oil and the pineapple. Hawaiian Pineapple Banana Bread 3 cups flour 2 cups sugar 1 t. baking soda 1 t. cinnamon 3/4 t. salt 1 cup chopped pecans 3 eggs, beaten 1 cup vegetable oil 2 cups mashed bananas (about 5) 2 t. vanilla extract 1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in nuts. Combine wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix wet ingredients into the bowl of the dry ingredients. Mix just until all is moistened. Put into two greased and floured regular (8.5") loaf pans. Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Cool in the pans for 10-15 minutes then turn out onto a rack and cool completely. Makes two loaves. Source: my friend Belinda Grady Teresa
    ...See More

RECIPE: Bread Recipe Wanted!!

Q

Comments (15)
    Here is a recipe that was featured in the New York Times. I have made it, and my family LOVES it. I will never make another kind of white bread. This bread is mosit and chewy on the inside, and crusty on the outside. YUM! Plus, it is very easy to make. No-Knead Bread 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting ¼ teaspoon instant yeast 1¼ teaspoons salt Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed. 1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees. 2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes. 3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger. 4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack. Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.
    ...See More
  • dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

This is one of my favorite Apple Bread recipes.

Praline-Apple Bread (Source is either BHG or SL, I can't remember!)

2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sugar
    1 8 oz. carton sour cream
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 1/4 cups chopped, peeled apples
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease the bottom and 1/2-inch up the sides of a 9x5x3-inch aluminum loaf pan (dont use glass, it will not set up right). Set aside. In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large mixing bowl beat together sugar, sour cream, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add flour mixture to sour cream mixture, beating on low speed until combined. Stir in apples and 1/2 cup of the pecans by hand. Spread batter in the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with the remaining pecans; press lightly into batter.

Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover bread loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan.

Meanwhile in a small saucepan combine the butter and brown sugar; cook and stir until mixture begins to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 1 minute. Drizzle brown sugar mixture over top of bread; cool.

Yield:
    "1 loaf"

NOTE: This bread also tastes very good without the pecans if you so choose (but then technically it would only be Apple Bread).

I have several apple cake recipes that I just adore and can provide if you want. I love summer and fall apple seasons!

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Would you like a yeast bread recipe? This one is from Bernard Clayton.

CHOPPED APPLE BREAD

Yield: 2 medium loaves; 12 servings

About 6 to 7 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour, divided

2 envelopes active dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)

1 tablespoon salt

1/2 cup nonfat dry milk

2 1/2 cups hot water (120 to 130 degrees)

3 tablespoons shortening

2 cups apples, cut in 3/4-inch cubes

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Step 1: Grease 2 medium (8-by-4-inch) loaf pans. (If using nonstick pans, line the bottom of the pans with buttered waxed paper or parchment paper.)

Step 2: In a mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt and dry milk. Pour in hot water, and stir in shortening. Using a wooden spoon and strong strokes,
    beat the batter 100 times. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough can be lifted from the bowl and placed on a work surface.

(Alternately, beat with the dough hook of an electric stand mixer for 2 minutes, then add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough forms a ball around the dough hook as it revolves. The dough should rise along with the dough hook when the head of the mixer is lifted.)

Step 3: Turn the dough onto the work surface; knead with a push-turn-fold rhythm. The dough will become elastic and smooth. If it is sticky, add sprinkles of flour.

(Or knead with the electric mixer for 10 minutes. If soft dough clings to the bottom third of the bowl, add flour. Ideally, a spot of dough about the size of a 50-cent piece should adhere to the bottom, indicating that the dough is
    neither too wet nor too dry.)

Step 4: Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and set aside to double in volume, about 1 hour.

Step 5: Punch down the dough; place it on the floured work surface. Roll and press the dough into an 18-inch square, about 1/2 inch thick. Let the dough rest for a few moments. Transfer to a cutting board.

Step 6: Spread chopped apples uniformly over the surface of the dough. Pour beaten eggs over the apples. Add nuts. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Fold the dough into a package.

Step 7: Using a dough scraper or large knife, chop the dough mixture randomly into pieces about 1 inch in size. Uniformity is of no great consequence. When the dough has been well chopped, toss or scoop the pieces into the prepared loaf pans, filling each two-thirds full.

Step 8: Cover the pans with waxed paper or parchment paper; let rise until the dough reaches slightly above the edge, about 40 minutes.

Step 9: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (325 degrees if using a convection oven). Bake until loaves are a rich golden brown, about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and dry. (If necessary, shield the loaves with foil in last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning.)

Step 10: Carefully turn out the hot bread onto a wire rack to cool. (It will be somewhat fragile while hot.) Slice and serve.

Adapted from "Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads," by Bernard Clayton Jr.

posted at http://www.stltoday.com/recipeexchange

These loaves will freeze well.

Carol

• elisamcs
    15 years ago

There's a website called 30DayGourmet.com. In the prizewinner section, or something similar to that, there's an apple bread recipe that's wonderful. The only change I would make is to cut the apple pieces smaller.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Carol, I've made that Chopped Apple Bread many times. It's wonderful. The first time I made it, I made a big mess on the last step. I had apples and dough and eggs all over the counter but it turned out and I now just plan on the mess. I learned to make the package on a cookie sheet with sides, that way it doesn't go too far.... :))
    Can't wait for apple season to get under full motion here.

Nancy

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Isn't it wonderful, Nancy? Seeing the thread reminded me the Gravenstein tree is loaded with just-perfect apples and this is the recipe I'm going for.

The nights are getting chilly. Somehow yeast bread seems just right.

I'm saving this thread. I see lots of keepers here. Thanks to everyone.

Carol

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Don't remember where I got this recipe, it might've been posted here:

GIANT STICKY APPLE CINNAMON ROLLS

6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all purpose flour
    2 pkgs. active dry yeast
    2 cups milk
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1-1/2 tsp. salt
    1 egg
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 Tblsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    2 Cups apple, peeled and finely chopped
    1 Cup pecans, chopped

***CARAMEL SYRUP***
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/4 cup corn syrup

In a large mixing bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups of flour and yeast. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, heat and stir milk, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter and salt just until warm (120° to 130° F.) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Then, add the egg.
    Beat with an electric mixer 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that's smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total).
    Shape the dough into a ball. Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place till doubled (45 to 60 minutes).
    FILLING: In a small mixing bowl, combine the 1/2 cup brown sugar, the 1/2 cup sugar, the 1/4 cup flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1/2 cup butter or margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
    Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Grease a 13-x9-x2-inch baking pan; set aside. Roll the dough into a 24x16-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with filling, apple and nuts. Roll up from long side, jellyroll style.
    Pinch to seal edge. Prepare Caramel Syrup. Pour into baking pan.
    Cut dough, crosswise, into 12 rolls and place, cut side down, into prepared pan. Cover and let rolls rise for about 45 minutes or till nearly doubled. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° F. oven for 40 minutes
    or till lightly browned and rolls sound hollow when lightly tapped
    (place baking sheet under baking pan to catch any drips). Invert onto serving plate while warm. Makes 12 rolls.

CARAMEL SYRUP: In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine. Stir in 1 cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 cup corn syrup. Cook and stir till sugar melts. Remove from heat.

Recipe By: Midwest Living magazine

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Well, I am going to include this even though you asked for bread. This recipe was terrific. A true apple lover will like this unusual cake. I got the recipe from a poster on the Cooking Light board named Valchemist. Her notes are included at the bottom.

Gooey Apple Sheet Cake

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cake Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    For the Cake:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 cup butter -- melted
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 c buttermilk
    2 c chopped apples -- (1/4-1/2 inch pieces)
    1 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon

For the Topping:
    3 cups powdered sugar
    8 oz. lowfat cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1/4 c oats

Mix melted butter and sugar with a mixer. Add eggs and beat well. Combine the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, mixing well. Fold in the chopped apples. Spread batter into well greased (or sprayed) 13 x 9 baking pan. Mix Topping ingredients and put over cake BEFORE baking. Bake in a 350ºF oven for 40-45 minutes. You can store this on the counter or in the refrigerator. Great warm, cold, or at room temperature.

Source:
    "modified from recipe found on Diana's Desserts"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 276 Calories; 10g Fat (33.3% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 57mg Cholesterol; 212mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : totally decadent and yummy. great warm. great cold. great at room temp. major winner!

If you are an apple lover, you must try this dessert - it is fabulous! The cake is moist and delicious, and it forms a sticky, slightly crisp crust where it peeks through the baked-on cream cheese frosting. Yes, the cream cheese frosting is actually baked on to the cake. (I have tried a couple of recipes that have a baked on cream cheese frosting and I loved them.)

I wasn't too sure about this one because I was worried that it would be somewhat cheesecake-y and the combination of cheesecake and apples doesn't appeal to me. I had nothing to worry about. The topping isn't cheesecake-y at all. It is creamy, gooey, and somewhat frosting-like. But of course since it is baked on, it isn't a frosting at all. It is hard to describe, you will just have to taste it to see for yourself how delicious it is!!

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

I love this recipe also. I have made it several times and am asked constantly for the recipe. I have sold it at several bake sales and is always a hit.

• cream_please
    15 years ago

I'm sure all the recipes are great, but, oh LindaC, that Apple Cake with "Gravy" made my mouth water!
    Cream

• lindac
    15 years ago

And it uses a lot of apples....
    I am all for pouring a sugary sauce over a sugary cake....and maybe even adding some ice cream too! LOL!

• ritaotay
    15 years ago

This doesn't use a lot of apples but it's oh so good....

Double-Swirl Apple Bread
    AT&T - Better Homes & Gardens

5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 cup shredded apple
    1 package active dry yeast
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons granulated sugar

1-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled apple
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup finely chopped toasted nuts
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons butter, softened

1 slightly beaten egg white
    1 tablespoon water
    Coarse sugar

1. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a saucepan heat and stir milk, granulated sugar, the 3 tablespoons butter, and the salt until warm (120 to 130 degrees F.) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture along with eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in shredded apple. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much remaining flour as you can.

2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour). Punch dough down.

3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium mixing bowl, combine chopped apple, nuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon; set aside.

5. Roll half of the dough into a 14x9-inch rectangle. Spread with 1 tablespoon of the softened butter; sprinkle with half of the filling. Beginning at both short ends, roll each end up, in a spiral, to center. Place loaf, rolled side up, in a lightly greased 8x4x2 or 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Repeat with remaining dough, remaining butter, and remaining filling; place loaf in a second lightly greased loaf pan.

6. Cover; let rise until almost double in size (about 30 minutes). Stir together egg white and water. Brush egg white mixture over tops of loaves; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. (If necessary, loosely cover with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.) Immediately remove from pans. Cool on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves (32 servings).

7. Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare loaves as directed. Wrap in heavy foil and freeze for up to one month. Thaw loaves at room temperature.

Nutritional Information:
    total fat: 4g, sodium: 79mg, iron: 7%, protein: 3g, fiber: 1g, cholesterol: 19mg, calcium: 1%, calories: 132, vitamin A: 2%, carbohydrate: 22g, saturated fat: 1g.

Rita
    P.S. I cut the recipe in half and used two 8X4 bread pans... ( I gotta learn how to roll them up tightly though... lol )

• ritaotay
    15 years ago

I didn't realize that the recipe I posted was very similar to ReadingLady's...

Rita
    Oh, I didn't add the nuts and I mixed the dough in the bread machine...

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I'm thinking of making the Chopped Apple Bread recipe that Carol (readinglady) posted above. I have a couple of questions.

What do you mean by Fold the dough into a package

When you say, chop the dough mixture randomly into pieces about 1 inch in size do you mean to slice it?

Thanks!

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Hi May, I have made the same recipe for years. I just roll the dough into an 18" square as noted. Spread with the apples, eggs, cinnamon sugar and then bring each corner to the middle. Seal the seams. Now all the apples mixture is in cased in dough.

Now the fun part.... I like to place the 'bundle' on a cookie sheet with side. Using my biggest chefs knife, I chop at random, cutting all the way through, until I have what looks like a big mess, and pieces of dough are about 1 inch, random cuts, so some are larger and some smaller, odd angles. There will be apple, eggs and dough everywhere, it's messy! Hence the cookie sheet. Then you scoop into the pans.

I used to buy a bread like this at an apple orchard. I'd wait every fall to be able to get it. They drizzled the cooled loaves with confectioners sugar glaze. Yummy. My favorite way to enjoy...thick slices, toasted.

Nancy

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Ohhh!!!! OK, thanks Nancy! I never woulda figured that out! It sounds wonderful, I hope to make it tomorrow!

• readinglady
    15 years ago

That bread is wonderful - an apple lover's delight. Plus it's kind of like making mud pies. Lots of mess and lots of fun. Enjoy.

Carol

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Ok, my loaves are rising now. It didn't turn out to be as messy as I'd anticipated, probably because I was fully prepared for the worst! LOL

It looks like it's going to be WONDERFULLY DELICIOUS. Thanks again for the recipe and additional clarifications. I'm really excited to be getting into making my own bread. It's fun and so rewarding. I'll post again once they are baked.

May

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see it. I almost made some on Friday, just because of your post. Then I got lazy, just because it was my Birthday. :)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Just finished making the Chopped Apple dough and set it to rise. It is very cold and rainy here today - may turn into sleet/freezing rain/snow later and it rained all day yesterday. Very miserable weather! Just the kind of day to bake some warm, cinnamony apple bread. I'll post pics later if possible.

Teresa

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Just took the bread out of the oven. It looks beautiful, taste great, but would be better with a confectioners' sugar glaze on the top. I think I would like to do this as a large coffee cake in a 9"x13" pan with a glaze over the top. It was a little difficult getting it out of the pans.

Lots of fun making this! I did it on the countertop and cut it up with my plastic bench knife which worked well to scoop up the pieces and plop them in the pans. The only sub I made was 3 TB butter for the shortening. I did not put in the pecans called for.

ready to go in the oven

{{gwi:1561558}}
    just out of the oven

{{gwi:1561559}}

• Terrapots
    15 years ago

UMMMMM, that looks beautiful and fun. Now I'll have to make it. It's a windy, rainy night and would be perfect but better wait until kids are here later in the week to help me eat it. Thanks for posting recipe and pics.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Teresa,
    I lined the pans with parchment paper so I was able to lift them right out and then peel off the paper. The paper really did stick to the bread, I mean, it didn't just fall off, I had to peel it. So I was glad I used it because I could see that it would have really stuck to the pan otherwise.

• sands99
    15 years ago

Sherry was nice enough to send me an apple 'cookbook' doc compiled from recipes from this forum, 20 pages of delectables :) if you want me to send it to you email me at sands[underscore]99[at]yahoo[dot]com just replace the bracketed with the actual character. Oh, and write "APPLE COOKBOOK" in the subject so I can find it if it lands in bulk mail.

I'm ready for spring fruits and veggies already...[she says with a 1/2ft of snow -and still falling - outside.]