SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acer_gw

Painted paneling looks great! Now how about a beadboard ceiling?

acer
15 years ago

I posted a similiar question here a few years ago and now I'll try again. We're painting the dark paneling in our living room, and so far it looks great (we've done two walls and it may be a while before we get to the other two). I chose Valspar's Birchwood White - I love the nice crisp white with just a tiny hint of warmth. It's not the dull beige that I've seen in so many cookie-cutter apartments, but much cleaner and brighter. I also learned that when painting paneling, it looks much nicer to strictly BRUSH it on - NO rolling. Rolled paneling looks just like drywall with grooves in it, but brushed-on paint has a great texture that gives the wall even more of a quaint, cottage feel. (I rolled one wall and painted another, so I know. I'll go back over the rolled wall with a brush some day). We're leaving all the trim stained wood.

Anyway, here's the question: We have those awful textured spackle ceilings that were standard-issue for a few decades. I can't stand that and would love to replace them with stained beadboard. Since we have painted paneling already, would a beadboard ceiling just be too "groovy"? The paneling is the sort with alternating widths. Would we have too many grooves in the room, and too busy a look?

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County