SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Bathroom tile - what happened here?

User
13 years ago

My home was built in 1940 and only has one (small!) full bath. Originally the bath had tile surrounding the tub/shower and halfway up the wall all around the room. The daughter of the original owner of the house has told me that it was a 4" x 4" gold-flecked white tile. At some point, a previous owner of the house removed all of the tile from the walls, leaving a very thick stucco-like material that's tough as nails. You can still see imprints of the backside of the original tiles. This stucco-like material was a dingy white when we moved in, so to bring in a bit of that south-of-the-border flair that I enjoy throughout my house, I painted the walls vibrant colors, and now the stucco stuff is turquoise. It's not great, but I've been able to live with it as sort of a Band-Aid fix for now.

Now, what I don't understand is just what this stucco-like stuff is, and why it's so darn thick. It's at least an inch thick ... why would the original tile have required that much "goop" on the walls to hold it in place? I would think trying to chisel it off would damage the wall beyond repair, so have been wondering if it would be possible to apply tile on top of it - ? If that were possible, with the depth of the compound to affix the tiles and the tiles themselves, that would leave a pretty large "shelf" around the room where the tile ends and the wall begins. Would there be any solution to covering that up with some sort of tile piece?

I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well, but here are some pics of the "stucco stuff" that may help.

{{gwi:1393084}}
{{gwi:1393085}}
{{gwi:1393086}}
In my perfect world, I'd have something along these lines on my bathroom walls, instead of weird turquoise stucco.

{{gwi:1393087}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH