SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elfmom_gw

honed AB - again!

elfmom
15 years ago

I have been trying to decide on a countertop for our soon-to-be-installed kitchen. Honed AB, Soapstone, Caesarstone, Pietra Cardosa, Black Galaxy and other dark granites are all contenders. I have a sample of many of these (no soapstone or Caesarstone). I have to say, that to my complete surprise, the honed AB performs great in terms of cleaning and staining and streaking. A dry paper towel takes care of most spills. No staining from wine or orange juice (I haven't tried lemon juice yet.) Am I crazy? Everybody hates honed AB!

Here are my theories. 1.) I believe the fact that the stone is not sealed or treated actually helps. AB is supposed to be very dense for a granite and shouldn't need to be sealed, so this makes sense to me. Could most people's problems with this stone actually be from the sealing process? 2.) While it does show every drop of water and oil, I was thinking that I could just oil the top, like soapstone, to prevent the inevitable grease spatter marks around the stove and water marks around the sink from showing. Someone posted that you should not oil this stone because the oil would just be sitting on top, but isn't that the same case with soapstone, which is also very dense? Isn't the oil just sitting on top of soapstone and not actually soaking in? Besides, mineral oil is nontoxic.

I don't like the streaking and fingerprints that the polished stones show, and here on LI acquiring soapstone is so difficult. No one seems to know anything about it. And the Pietra Cardosa seems to have all the problems of soapstone with none of the benefits. Maybe I should just go with Caesarstone, but based on my home tests, I may be about to do something foolhardy and actually install honed AB.

I'm giving all you honed AB detractors a chance to change my mind. Has anyone tried living with untreated honed AB? If you've had problems, then please stop me! Or conversely, is anyone a fan after living with it?

Comments (13)