SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_east_gw

Can you make honed marble polished again?

15 years ago

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to really post this question, but I knew I'd probably have the best chance of great answers on this forum since so many of you are very knowledgeable with marble and it's properties.

We had our vanity top installed in our master bathroom today and the marble we used was relatively quiet and neutral in color (Crema Marfil). My fabricator asked me if I wanted to make it honed instead of polished since I definitely like more of a honed look with countertops in general, so I went along with the idea. What I didn't realize is that by honing it, it would pretty much take out any depth in the veining and strip it of the color in the veins. I don't like the look it left at all (basically a greyish piece of less than attractive marble with some barely distinguishable veins) and am so bummed at the outcome. I'm less than happy with my countertop folks right for various reasons, and I'm definitely irritated that he failed to tell me that honing it would rob it of it's color so much. I just had no idea. When I rubbed it down with a wet cloth tonight, it looked so much better but of course, it dries and the magic disappears instantly!

So my question is if anyone knows of any sealers or such that I could do myself to introduce some of the polished look back into the marble. We have never had marble in a house before so I am clueless if there is any hope to make it pretty again, but knew someone here could probably enlighten me!

Many thanks and thanks for listening to me vent too!

Comments (4)