SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Been counting chikkuns afore the layout is finalized! Help? Pic

deedles
12 years ago

On the advice of Lavender Lass, I'm going to post my layout ideas here in hopes that I can get that squared away before resorting back to obsessing on finishes and chicken wallpaper.

I have two layouts shown here. Similar in that the sink and doorways will remain where they are no matter what. The window over the sink is drawn at 60" wide and could get smaller but I can't figure out why that would be a good idea. I have two inside corners. One has the space given away to porch storage and the other... well. I've read the threads about corners.

#1. Likes: stove close to sink. Have view into kitchen from LR and from kitchen to porch and river when standing at stove.

#1. Dislikes: not much prep space between stove and sink. Right now there is 30" to the left of sink, then the corner and 30" to the stove. It's tight cause that's where I do most all my work. Only able to add 6" in this plan. Also, the open shelves above the prep area are a little tight.

#2. Likes: Seem to have overall more storage and counter space. Now 48" tween fridge/corner + the 30" to sink. MUCH longer open shelves over prep area, which I really like, too.

#2. Dislikes: The fridge blocks view to porch/river and also visually 'closes off' kitchen from LR. Have to cross in front of doorway from stove to sink, could be a hazard with hot pots.

Here is a better floor plan of that side of the house just for reference. Ignore everything in the kitchen except the sink.

Another note for both plans. In the corner behind the fireplace wall I drew two different counters/pantry layouts. Both rather incomplete and inelegant. Inside corners.. bah. I like the 12" deep pantry idea on plan #1 and also like the additional counter space in plan #2... almost makes this a two person kitchen. Maybe I could put a small sink in that corner? Then it would be another prep area OR bar area. Do lose a lot of food storage that way, though which is important. The days I need a 2 person kitchen=probably less than 30. The days I need food storage=365. Maybe there is something in between.

So. Mission statement in a nutshell:

Easy to keep clean.

Functions efficiently.

Everything has a place so counters uncluttered.

Finished to suit the house and the river/rustic setting using as many natural, non-Monsanto type items as possible.

And maximized storage as this is a small house.

I cook from scratch always other than occasional frozen pizza. Tend to shop in bulk and purchase quantities of meat from farmers. We will have a big garden and do can and freeze. There will be a chest freezer in the basement and some overflow storage down there... canning stuff, big nesco, etc. I don't use a M/W. Do have quite a few cookbooks and vintagey kitchen stuff that I like to display... cake stands, cake tins, wooden bowls and such.

What else?

I feel presumptuous putting all this out there and asking for help, but... I... need it. As I've said before, this is my last kitchen remodel and I really, really want to not regret a single thing that I do.

Okay. Probably you guys will come up with a plan #3 and #4 and so on, which is great! Feel free to comment at will. I can take it. Hell, I welcome it!

Thank you.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert