SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

Cleaning routines...anyone?

jamie_mt
19 years ago

I know we focus a lot on decluttering here, but cleaning is something we can "organize" too, IMO. Before the whole sell-house-buy-house-get-married thing this fall, I had a weekly cleaning routine...it took me a couple hours every Sat. morning to tidy up my little house, one day to do laundry, and then I had an afternoon to focus on organizing specific areas of my house.

Needless to say, I'm just happy I hung on to the bed-making habit every morning after the move, and it's an added bonus that I automatically clean the kitchen most nights before bed. LOL This house is much bigger, and if I did all the cleaning on one day, it would take me a good 6 hours or so...I'd rather figure out a way to fit it into my daily routines during the week, so that I have the weekend to sit and watch movies with DH (which is what I usually end up doing anyways), or organize "stuff" (like my office, which needs gutting and organizing *badly*). ;-)

So I need to analyze the way I do things here in this new house now...how I routinely move through each room during the day/evening, and figure out how to develop routines that will fit this new house as far as cleaning goes. Anyone else want to come along for the challenge?

This week I think I'll focus on trash duties. I am always procrastinating about taking the kitchen garbage out until it is overflowing past the point of decency. And when I *do* take the kitchen trash out, I often forget to go through the house and empty the other garbages at the same time...mostly because I've waited until I really *need* the kitchen trash empty, and I'm fixing dinner, and have no time to grab the others right then. I think organization would help solve that problem...having two to three days per week when the trash (*all* garbages) get emptied at the same time. Weds would be one logical day, since garbage pickup is that day, but once a week isn't enough.

Most evenings just before bed I clean the kitchen and straighten the living room. I'm not sure whether it would work best to check all the garbages then and empty those that need it when I let the dogs out for their last "potty-run", or if I should check the garbages after work and take them out between feeding the dogs and fixing dinner. I guess I'll try it both ways, and see which one works better. I generally have a few minutes in the morning while DH is still getting ready for work and I'm just waiting for the dogs to come in and him to be ready...maybe *that* would be a good time for trash detail. I'll mark the days that I actually need to take the trash on the calendar, so I can check on those days next week too. Hopefully I can make it a habit that certain days are "trash days" instead of just doing it whenever I can't stand it anymore.

I know it sounds like a lot of thinking for "trash", but it seems like that's what helps me figure out how things will fit best into my current routine, ya know? Hopefully this will work...

Next week: Vaccuuming. LOL

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County