SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dshnlng

new crawl space in old house question?

dshnlng
19 years ago

I'm having kitchen remodeled. Enclosed 5 x 7 is being made part of kitchen. New cider block foundation for 5 x7 was made. Kitchen has been sheetrocked and roof is on.

Yesterday GC sent over a guy and he made a huge 3 x 3 opening from the existing basement into this new 5 x 7 area.

Wall he drilled thru was 2 feet think poured sandy cement with pepple like stuff. House is 100 years old. In side the new area is water that they are pumping out.

Question-I'm concerned about the integrity of the wall now as well as I've always had humidity issues in the summer and run the humidifier from mid-june thru september. How do I make sure that this new space doesn't add to the problem. I'm concerned about mold, etc. GC is talking about putting a door over the openning. I'm afraid that this might just cover up a potential problem down the road.

help. I pulled permits for this work so, I called building inspector's office but they say they don't deal with this type of issue. Women did say she would have inspector call me though. I live in NJ.

Comment (1)