SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennavanowsc

My friend is gone.....

JennaVaNowSC
12 years ago

I have told you all about my dear friend Donna............. well, she lost her brief battle with cancer last night. She died peacefully, they say, around 9 p.m. She was supposed to go home and have hospice in, but never made it out of the hospital. Her son-in-law said she developed pneumonia.

I can hardly believe it, less than two months, ago, they bought a new house in Florida, she was happy and busy with her volunteer and church work. She was diagnosed on December 23rd after a very sudden episode of abdominal pain. The cancer spread so quickly ...from her liver, spleen, to pancreas, bones, brain, lungs...............everywhere. She has been in a lot of pain, and I know that she is now pain -free.

But I am having such a hard time believing and accepting this. I need to ask, yet again, for your prayers for her family.

Thank you all

Comments (34)

• susie53_gw
    12 years ago

I am so sorry you lost your friend. I know it can be so difficult. It sounds like you have some wonderful memories of your times together. I will be praying for her family and you, also.

• katlan
    12 years ago

It's very sad to lose a friend or family. It's unbearable to watch them suffer. She's at peace, and that's one thing you can hold onto. I'll pray for you and her family to find peace in dealing with your loss. It is never easy to lose someone we love, whether suddenly or watching them fade away. I'm sorry for your loss.

• Related Discussions

A different version of plate flower.

Q

Comments (17)
    Thank you Marlene Daise NonaCook and Concretenprimroses. I am slowly working on the background fill for the second window. So anxious to get them hung up. I bounce back and forth between my glass , house chores ,yard chores and helping hubby in his shop working on the old truck. This is a good thing he has ambition to do things. He just needs help because the chemo induced neuropathy in his hands still bothers him. I never aspired to be a mechanic. He is changing wheels on the old flat bed from split rims to regular. This is a good thing and means I will have a truck for hauling things. So I am not complaining too much. I keep finding bits of garden junk stash in my hoard and adding it all to the flower bed for decor. The plants are filling in a little showing promise of things to come. I had a change of plans in the fountain department. I needed a stronger pump to make water come from the watering can so instead I used a fountain frog and did crystals on the watering can spout. Baby steps. I just need time to be able to go sit in my new little patio area. LOL I need to get some pond plants too.
    ...See More

A couple of seedlings!

Q

Comments (5)
    Both seedlings are really nice. Love the bright color of the first one. What a wonderful reminder of your friend each time it blooms. Elegant is the word that comes to mind to describe the second one and I love the lavender color. Val
    ...See More

My Best Friend is Gone (((MOM))))

Q

Comments (93)
    When my dear mother passed, we had a Celebration of Life. I made bookmarks for the attendees, with her picture and this poem that I found online. You might enjoy it: When We Remember You can shed tears that she is gone or you can smile because she has lived You can close your eyes and pray that she'll come back Or you can open your eyes and see all she's left Your heart can be empty because you can't see her or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday. You can remember her and only that she's gone or you can cherish her memory and let it live on You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back or you can do what she'd want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on. -Author Unknown-
    ...See More

Suggestions for movies (not series)

Q

Comments (46)
    Enchanted April is one of my all-time favorite movies....have you seen it? It's a period, British romantic comedy from the 1920's which is charming and funny. The four female characters range in age from 20's to 70-ish, are single, not happily married and widowed (I think). It won the Golden Globe (for acting I believe). Oops....I checked, and Netflix no longer has it to stream.....but my library has it so I assume others may also? It's a gentle, visually luscious film.....not slapsticky comedy. I believe you'd love it.
    ...See More
  • lydia1959
    12 years ago

So sorry. That does seem so sudden... I'm glad she did not have to suffer long, but so sad that she did not get to enjoy her new home longer. Prayers and good thoughts going out for the family. (((Jennava)))

• suzieque
    12 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounded from what you wrote before that she had reconciled with it, which is good. But as always, it's hard on those loved ones left behind.

• pam_25f
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for you and all of Donna's loved ones.

• joyfulguy
    12 years ago

Greetings again, Jenna.

I feel for you at this painful time.

You can be thankful that her suffering is now over ... and that she had been coming to terms with it, near the end and was not raging against it. I am pleased that you were able to be there with her in that situation, as well.

I send good thoughts to you and the stricken family ... and offer some prayers on behalf of all of them ... and for you and your grieving family, as well.

It truly shakes us up, when things are going along their merry way ... to have such a huge intrusion into that routineful life.

It seems to me that we get a double whammy - there's the great distress that we feel for the distress of that very meaningful person in our lives and for the people around her who are suffering, as well, who are important to us.

But, even though they've been very close to us for years ... they are "out there" ... and it forces us to look our own mortality in the face, as well. Which we seldom are required to do ... and it hurts, there, as well.

May you and yours, along with her loved ones, find your way through this dark valley meaningfully ... and with peace in your hearts.

ole joyful

• petaloid
    12 years ago

I'm very sorry. My best wishes go out to you, and to all of your friend's loved ones.

• JennaVaNowSC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Susie, Katlan, Lydia, Suzieque, and Pam... thank you all so much for your comments and your prayers. And yes, Suzieque, I believe she had accepted and was ready. WE just were not ready to let her go. I got to say goodbye when I visited her on the 2nd, she seemed to know it was goodbye, I didn't. I thought I would see her again., But then I came down with strep throat and a sinus infection and was not able to visit her afterwards.
    I know she is now at peace as Katlan says, it s just so hard. Her husband just now called, they are trying to make the arrangements. He was so sad, just crying, I could barely understand him.
    Thank you all again.

• JennaVaNowSC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OJ and Petaloid, thank you for your kind words. I am thankful that her suffering has ended, and no she was not raging at the end. And true, she did not have months of wasting away, it was blessedly brief, though painful.

I am thankful that she was able to say her goodbyes, so many leave abruptly without the chance of that. She was a believer and had a strong faith, and as she said to me......she has gone to see the face of her Lord.

OJ you said : "and it forces us to look our own mortality in the face, as well. Which we seldom are required to do ... and it hurts, there, as well.".... So much truth there. she is/was MY age, so vibrant and alive and then wham! It is scary...... are we ALL walking around with these insidious cancers inside us, ready to engulf us??

As I am praying for her loved ones, I am also saying a prayer for all my KT friends, you who are so quick to comfort.

• Holly_ON
    12 years ago

Sending a cyberhug to friends and family.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Sending hugs and prayers for you and her family.
    Marie

• vannie
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss, and her family's loss. I'm reminded each day that I volunteer at the hospital how quickly things can strike, and how it affects loved ones, b/c I see it each day I'm there. OJ is right about the mortality aspect, and from what I read, yes, we are all walking around w/ the potential for tragedy. That's why we enjoy each day as we can and we tell our friends and family we love them, often.

I've never lost a close friend and can't imagine your grief. You are in my prayers, and I pray you will have the strength to see you through this time. God bless.

• gadgets
    12 years ago

My prayers go out for you and Donna's family. It's hard to accept whether the battle is long or short, as we have seen with our very own KT friends.

I lost one of my best work friends 11 yrs ago in a similar way. She passed away one day short of 4 wks of getting her diagnosis. It's such a shock.

Shirley

• JennaVaNowSC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Holly and Marie,,, thank you for the hugs and prayers.

Vannie...I applaud your efforts as a volunteer. It takes a special kind of person to know how to deal with the ill and grieving. You are so right.... live each day to the fullest, and tell your loved ones how much you care. I have been guilty of not doing the first of that.... worrying too much about things and not really experiencing the joy of the day. BUt now every day I start out with a prayer of thanks for the gift of another day. And, I tell myself, everyday, that I need to make the very most of the time I have. It is easy to get complacent and in a routine of plodding along day after day.
    Then when you get such a wake up call...... it is time to take notice!

Gadgets...it is a shock! so fast, you cannot get your mind around what has happened! But, God is in control and his timing is not ours. Thank you for your concern

• chisue
    12 years ago

This feels like a shock wave. Suddenly...it's cancer. Suddenly...it's unstoppable. Agonizingly...there is unremitting pain for her and the suffering of those who love her. There's no time to 'adjust', it just rolls on, and then...she's gone. Your mind doesn't know how to handle it all.

May peace come with understanding. We have to accept death, however it comes, whenever it comes. We have to accept our living on.

My sympathy to you in this sad, stressful time.

• satine_gw
    12 years ago

Jennava I am sorry about the loss of your good friend. I know the feeling of loss can be so painful. I hope that you and her family find some solace in knowing that her suffering is over. Satine

• JennaVaNowSC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chisue.... you said it exactly the way I wanted to say it. It hs been hard to find the words. thank you.

Satine....Thank you, yes her suffering is over. I just need to look at it that way, that she was ready for the pain to be over. And the rest of us just have to accept.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

Oh Jenna, I'm so sorry for you and your friends family. You've shared with us what a great friend she was and how much she meant to you. I know it's a great, great loss. ((((Jenna)))))

• socks
    12 years ago

That is very sad. I'm so sorry you lost your friend, and so quickly too, not that you would have wanted her to linger and suffer. This is why we need to live and love every day. Heartfelt condolences.

• JennaVaNowSC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Georgysmom... thank you. She was a great friend. I am so not ready to let my friends go. Although I know that I am getting to the age (61) that this will be happening more and more often.

Socks...you are right... I didn't want her to suffer. But I didn't want to let her go. thank you for your wise words.

• mary3444
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. Just know that she is at peace now & will not suffer any more. I always think it is harder on the loved ones then the person who was sick. We just lost our good friend last Sun from cancer. I always say live every day like it is your last one because you never know what will happen tomorrow. I will say a extra prayer for you & her family.

• User
    12 years ago

Aw, Jenna

You made her happy as long as you could. I understand how distraught you are.

I believe you have 2 powerful goals ahead of you: to mourn her loss your way and to take care of yourself as she would want you to do.

I have learned as I lose friends that when we were gleefully healthy we never thought about saying good bye to each other and yet it was just as likely that they would be the survivor and not I. I treasure those who are still here and tell good stories about the ones who are not forgotten.

I'll be thinking about you.

• phoggie
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for the passing of your dear friend...we are never ready to let go of our loved ones. A very special friend of mine, sounds like your friend, the cancer has spread so quickly and it is only a matter of days until she enters her heavenly home. Prayers for you and her family members.

• JennaVaNowSC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mary3444,,,,I am so sorry for your loss also. I would be happy to add her family, and you, to my prayer list.

Thank you Ellie.... I need to remember that " I treasure those who are still here and tell good stories about the ones who are not forgotten.", and try to do the same.

Phoggie... thank you for your prayers.... and I will pray for your friend too, and you, as you also walk this path.

• tami_ohio
    12 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this, Jenna. Sending prayers and sympathy for you and her family.

Tami

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

It seems so many of us are in pain because of the loss of a love one it is so stinking hard to let go.We morn for our self's for our loved ones are suffering know more .I pray for both of you and that we will all have piece we need to let go.

• sjerin
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry. What a terrible shock that will take time to wrap your head around. No matter how many times you tell yourself her suffering is over, it still hurts, hurts, hurts. I'll keep you and her family in m prayers.

• JennaVaNowSC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tami...thank you for your prayers.
    NanaTricia...yes, you are right... so many of us are losing loved ones. thank you for your prayers.
    Sjerin.... Even though you know it is coming, it is hard to deal with when it happens. I guess it is good though that she was not meant to linger on and be even more ravaged by this horrible disease. I am not downplaying the pain she suffered at all, but glad she did not have to suffer the debilitating effects of chemotherapy treatments/ Thank you all for your caring.

• jackie643
    12 years ago

prayers going out for you and her family.

• User
    12 years ago

Just read the messages and your replies. You are so sweet to everyone here. Good night, Jenna.

• angela_nor_calif
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. My thoughts are with you.

• User
    12 years ago

She must have been a very special friend to you. I'm very sorry for your loss. It does sound very sudden, so that makes it even more sad. How old was she? My thoughts go out to you and her family. I lost two of my best friends in the last few years..one a friend since we were 12. It hurts.

• JennaVaNowSC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jackie and Angela... thank you so much for your kind thoughts and prayers. Much needed.
    Ellie...aw..... not many that know me would call me 'sweet'... thank you. :) And good morning to you! It is a beautiful day!
    One day at a time, you know......

Lily.... thank you, yes she was a special friend. Donna was not my best girl friend, and my husband actually knew her before I did. They worked together years back. We were more 'couples friends', I guess you would say, meaning that we did things together with our husbands, dinners out, movies, etc. She and I didn't really get together very much, just the two of us, pedicures or shopping.. that sort of thing. But she was quick to call and check on us when we were ill, always kept in touch, even when they spent the winters in FLorida. They were just fun and easy to be around. We had a lot of interests in common. She had loads of friends and activities.
    I am more of a loner. I really don't have very many friends. Donna was 62, and since I am 61, I consider that young. I am sorry for your losses also. I understand the bond of a best friend since you were 12. In the last couple years I have reconnected with two women I grew up with. ( I live 800 miles away, they never left the area where we grew up) We keep up now on Facebook and email and it is like we were never apart these 40+ years. :)
    Cherish your friends and your loved ones.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, Jenna, and for her family. It sounds like her faith saw her thru this final life challenge, and I hope that her faith & strength guides all of you.