SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wayfinder_gw

Interior Designer didn't back me up....

Wayfinder
11 years ago

I want opinions on a situation with my interior designer.

She brought in several companies to do custom drapery. She didn't bill for the drapes, I pay her by the hour for any time she spends. We agreed on this from the start.

The drapes were delivered and were hung unevenly at both the top and the bottom. Turns out the fabric "grew". I gave the company three chances over two and half months to fix it - they didn't.

Long story short, they took me to small claims. The designer, while saying for me not to take drapes that were garbage, would not back me up in court. She said she couldn't burn a bridge.
I was the first one up in the court and a group behind me asked at a break where my designer was. When I said she wouldn't back me up, they were surprised. I thought it was just me. This is my first experience with a designer and, honestly, expected the same level of professionalism I live by. I've paid her more than $30,000 for design on my home.

In my business, I stand my my clients. It's an obligation I take when I take their money.

Am I nuts?

Comments (29)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

In this situation it really kind of is between you and the work room to hash it out, unlike the situation would have been if you the designer was working at an hourly rate and cost plus or discount on retail. In that situation she may have ended up eating the drapes to make you happy, and had to deal with the workroom herself.

However she could have supplied a letter or something that stated she was unhappy with the quality herself.

Maybe she has had trouble finding a good workroom. They are harder and harder to come by. That's an excuse, I know, but that might be it. I am surprised she would want to work with a vendor that didn't back up their work, but maybe this is the first time she's had a problem with them.

• crl_
    11 years ago

No experience with interior designers so no thoughts on whether to be surprised. But how did you make out in court?

• Related Discussions

I didn't give up on my cherry tree!

Q

Comments (3)
    Good for you. Some things are worth fighting for and you will love your Montmorency, it is a pretty tree from spring to winter. I worked with a lady who had a peach tree loaded with fruit each year. One day she said "Oh, I cut that tree down, I was tired of having to deal with all the mess." Go figure.
    ...See More

So glad I didn't give up- algae problem now?

Q

Comments (15)
    I don't know if they are male or female. I googled it and attempted to find out but I'm still not real sure. My guess is they are both males. The new platy is a little bit bigger, but it's being picked on by the platy we already had. I kept the bigger platy in the net at the top of the tank overnight and just now let him out this a.m. And the smaller platy went right bak to chasing him around the tank. He doesn't quit either, continuously chasing it back and forth. This is just a 10 gallon tank. There aren't many decorations in it, but I could try rearranging them. He seems to chase him, wherever he's at. I don't have another tank to put one of them in. If this is going to happen with whatever fish I put in there, then I almost should get rid of the small, aggressive one, not the new one. What do you think?
    ...See More

Multiflora had fallen, didn't get up!

Q

Comments (11)
    Yep, I add water right into the container, and keep it topped up. I never let the water dry completely out. At first, I had gravel in there, could't believe what I was hearing. So, I kept a very close eye on everything. Then when the goofy plant had bloomed 3 or 4 times (ALWAYS lost the blooms before!) I decided I could relax. It wasn't going to rot, I didn't need to keep agonizing over it. I have lost my compactas to mealies. In winter, when all the plants are crammed together into the plant room, the air is stiller, the water is less... The attention and grooming are CRIMINAL! I lost both H. compactas this winter! ARGH. Now, my pump sprayer is on the fritz. I had a pump up pressure sprayer to (in dramatic opera voice) Kill The Mealies, Kill The Mealies! but I'm back to a kitchen sprayer, every week. Even worse this month have been the bleedin' ants!!! They have robbed cactus seeds and started burying plants with dirt, starting their own little farm. The cactus I found buried, I cleaned up, sprayed, and set out of the sun. Checked it two days later? COVERED in spine mealies! Its an epidemic, I tell 'ya! You showed those little grubbers! Keep up the good work!
    ...See More

They sold me a floor model, and didn't tell me!

Q

Comments (10)
    We have just built a new house...we have had holy heck with BEST BUY. Bought over $16K worth of appliances and were told they had arrived at their warehouse and just tell them when to deliver. Our building got delayed by a month and then when we finally told them to deliver them, they said it would be months before we could get them. We have gotten bits and pieces of our PAID FOR APPLIANCES and now have major issues with an oven that was delivered yesterday. They took it upon themselves to order us an oven that had been on the floor and didn't bother telling us. The oven was delivered yesterday and it's is so beat up that it's totally awful looking. Part of the bottom of the oven is suppose to have a grill and it's not there and the white glass around the door panel is broken and flaking off (great for cooking food, huh?), along with a damaged handle. They didn't tell us it was a floor sample but yet we had already paid the full price (plus $200 to installation). (BTW: They said they had delivered both our kitchen oven/microwave combo and the wall oven in the butler's pantry two weeks ago and we NEVER GOT IT--that is another story). Never again will we purchase anything from BEST BUY....they are liars and cheats. Please be aware that they are NOT very reliable. I am about ready to tell them to come get all the appliances and just give us our money back. (the picture is of the oven door handle).
    ...See More
  • Vertise
    11 years ago

So how much time did she spend on the drapes and what did she charge you?

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

Hard to say without the full story.

I'm guessing she bills the way she does just for this type of situation. She doesn't want to be accountable for an agreement you made with another business.

It does make me wonder if she sides with the drapery company and doesn't want to admit it to you. If so, she should have the professionalism to tell you that.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Actually she may bear some responsibility if she picked a fabric that was not suitable for the application, but the workroom would have more experience in this regard as well. I wanted to use a fabric once and my upholsterer called me and said that he would not use it.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 23:02

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I'm not surprised at all. This is an extremely common problem with designers and something everybody should be aware of.

I've bought tons and tons of homewares through designers. There are pluses and minuses to working with them. One minus that no one mentions is that they are not a large retail organization. A department store like Nordstrom's or a furniture store like Restoration Hardware will take back pretty much anything you don't like, because they can afford to. If you've had custom work done, you may or may not get a little something back depending on the store. But most designers run very small businesses, and don't have the margins to return or refund items they sell. More importantly for your situation, unlike large retailers, even if they're just advising rather than selling, they don't have a ton of leverage with their suppliers and are afraid to alienate them.

A designer will go to bat for you if they think a vendor will instantly back down and admit a problem. But if they think the vendor will hold it against them instead, you're on your own.

Just a couple of my own examples: An end table that arrived with a cracked leg got promptly returned and replaced, because my designer correctly predicted no one would put up a fuss.

By contrast, a metal table with a clearly bent leg seemed "fine." Why? Because the manufacturer is pulling back from the Boston area and she'd have no one to back her up. Same thing with silk fabric I sent out to be backed and treated. I paid a high price, the workroom forgot to back it and forgot to treat it. I received only a small, partial refund despite the fact I had been received literally no service of any kind.

So, that's a risk you always take with a designer that's a small business person. Always a risk. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Sorry this happened to you. With custom drapes there is no excuse on earth for anything short of perfection.

• User
    11 years ago

Yes, I think there is more to this story. While 30K may seem to be high to a lot of lay people, it's not an outrageous amount of money over time for a large project like an entire home. It could have been much higher if you had wanted additional services from her beyond just advice by the hour. Perhaps you thought you would save some money by not engaging her for those service and so decided to only hire her in an advisory capacity, not a supervisory one. It wasn't her role to engage the tradesmen or to accept or reject the product. Her role is to assist in selection and placement only. If you wish more accountability from her or any other professional in the future process, then you can pay the additional percentage of markup for all of the product that you purchase as well as additional fees for tradesperson supervision. Then the buck would stop with her, and it would be up to her to act as quality control.

If she does as much business with this workroom so as to not to want to burn the bridge, she could have offered to act as mediator and perhaps suggested a compromise like them lining the drapes with a heavier liner to get them to hang better, or your purchasing a different drapery fabric and them supplying labor. I am surprised that you ended up in court though. That is usually a losing proposition for all concerned. It's much better to try to reach a settlement of some variety. No workroom or designer wants to have unhappy clients, and most will try to work with a client to reach that compromise rather than go through the legal system. However, it's NOT her role to "back you up" in court should you decide to take a conflict that far. If you wanted to make it her role, then you would have engaged her to hire and supervise the upholsterer. Then she would have been the one who had the dispute with them.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

We don't know how much she was charging per hour. The rate could have covered handling potential problems, which is generally a designer's responsibility and one reason you have hired a professional for the job and why you pay a lot of money for their help. She didn't say how involved the designer was with the companies or in designing the drapes. "She brought in several companies" is vague. A "decorator" might get away with "I like this fabric in this style, here's a phone number of a good company I've worked with before."

Designers can charge their fees in various ways. Some prefer to charge a simple hourly rate.

Have you checked your contract?

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

why couldn't they fix the drapes ?, if they installed them they should have seen that something was wrong . Did she intervene with the drape company at all at any point ?

I am curious to know what happened in court, and I'm sorry you had to go through this, what a mess.

• dakota01
    11 years ago

From what you have stated: As for backing you up in court - YOU are the customer not the drapery mfg. IMHO she should have come to court - I would guess all she had to do was tell the judge that YES the drapes are crooked/uneven. Just confirm your reason for non-payment,
    I'm suprised you had to pay the drapery mfg. direct - I have always paid the decorator who then paid them.
    As for her "burning bridges" - jeez, they are the ones to worry about not getting anymore of her business not the other way around!
    I've had a couple of unstatisfied times w/decorators and screw ups too - sometimes it was resolved to my satisfaction, sometimes not.
    How did it pan out in court?

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

Since she didn't show up at court, doesn't that mean you won and she lost. I'm lost to the situation now.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

Seems no matter the rest of the story details, she burned her bridge with YOU.

• judithn
    11 years ago

Seems to me that if I were a designer and one of my clients was unhappy with something done by a workroom, that I would never recommend that workroom again. Would not want to repeat the experience and make another client unhappy. Since she gave you several workroom recommendations, there is clearly no shortage of workrooms in the area. As a designer I would simply strike that particular workroom that failed to do the job right from my list of prospective workrooms. Do you think she has a financial relationship with that (or any of the other) workrooms and is receiving some special consideration for recommending them? Or maybe they have done some special favors for her in the past, given other clients additional services at a cut rate, and she doesn't want to endanger that...just pondering.

• Wayfinder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To Green Designs: It was actually a whole lot more than 30K, but I was uncomfortable putting the real amount. She was engaged to do everything - it was my job to give direction and pick colors and pay. That was it. She didn't want to run the purchases through her business and, frankly, I did't think it was fair to charge me hourly and make a profit on the merchandise itself. She agreed.

Court: I had to pay, but the judge gave me a substantial discount. He said it sounded like the fault was really with the fabric. I had made numerous attempts to settle and had found someone who came up with an idea of a cornice that hid the unevenness at the top and allowed the curtains to puddle so that the problem couldn't be seen. He asked me about that specifically before he made his decision.

There were literally outloud gasps in the court room. And, several people told me how sorry they were for me. I thought that was really nice, they didn't have to comment at all. I think it shook some of them that he would decide that way, and they were up next!

So I'm out 8K for two sets of custom drapery that I now have to fix.

I don't know what I could have done differently....

• Vertise
    11 years ago

How involved was she in the draperies? How much did you pay her for that involvement, that she takes no responsibility in working out the issues on that project?

I also wonder if this is one of those cases where an inappropriate fabric was used. Which, of course, is a reason why you hire professionals for the job.

Sorry you didn't get your money back. For that kind of money, they should work it until it's satisfactory.

• deegw
    11 years ago

That stinks.

I think you should start a new thread and name the parties involved, location, post some pictures and let it be known that the designer and the shop thought the work was acceptable and that the shop sued you for payment. No need for any extensive details or opinion. Just post the simple facts.

It won't change your situation but may help future potential customers of the designer and the drapery shop who Google for information.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Is there a conflict of interest here? Is the workroom somehow or other related to the designer, by blood, by friendship, etc?

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

How did the court case come out? I am thinking all you asked is the designer to give their professional opinion on the quality of the job. I am not seeing how s/he should not have. Possibly s/he would need to be paid for their precious time..but other wise where is the issue? I would be very disappointed and no longer be able to trust their professionalism. Truth is truth and if they are dealing with a shoddy company then who cares if they burn a bridge? To think that a company thats stock and trade is custom will not stand behind their workmanship is unacceptable. At this point all you can do is dust the stench of them both off your shoes and move forward.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I'm sorry this happened to you and wish it would have turned out better for you. But one lesson to take away is that refusing to pay isn't usually a good solution to a problem with a business. The business will almost always turn it over to collections or bring a lawsuit against you.

It would likely have been better to pay the bill under protest and if they didn't provide satisfaction, then you sue them to try to get your $$ back. I think the courts are more sympathetic to that scenario. They see too many people trying to get out of paying for things, but if they see you paid and the drapery company didn't provide a reasonable product, the court might have held that against them and awarded you a refund.

• User
    11 years ago

"It was actually a whole lot more than 30K, but I was uncomfortable putting the real amount. She was engaged to do everything - it was my job to give direction and pick colors and pay. That was it. She didn't want to run the purchases through her business and, frankly, I did't think it was fair to charge me hourly and make a profit on the merchandise itself. She agreed."

The above makes no sense to me. Anything I have ever bought through our designer was his cost plus 35%. You'd come out better buying through her than paying retail and paying her by the hour. Additionally, most "to the trade" furniture and decorative accessories, wallpapers, fabrics, etc. can't be purchased by a client and therefore have to be "run through her business." Ditto the workroom. If all you did was pick colors and pay, that means she must have contracted the workroom and given them the design and dimensions of the curtains. That makes her the customer, regardless of who pays. But the financial arrangements are bizarre and make me think she is not a professional, certainly not an ASID.

Also, in our state 8k is not small claims. Curiouser and curiouser.

• chispa
    11 years ago

I paid my designer per hour and her company made the furniture/fabric/drape/rug purchases. These purchases are charged at her wholesale price plus 20%. She is the main contact for everything. We had some minor issues with some of the drapes and she made the calls to have the workroom come pick up the drapes, make the repairs, bring them back and re-hang.

I also have an issue with the fabric she had recommended for the dining room chairs. The chairs are supposed to be reupholstered at her expense. The holidays put everything on hold, buy I'm expecting she will do what needs to be done for the project to end on a positive note.

• User
    11 years ago

Yes, that's not small claims money in my state either. And whether or not someone shows up in court is up to the judge, not the individual. If the judge felt her testimony would have been needed for the case, she would have been issued a subpoena and had to show up. The fact that she wasn't in court means that the judge felt she wasn't an interested party to the dispute.

• User
    11 years ago

"These purchases are charged at her wholesale price plus 20%"

The above is another familiar scenario when working with a designer. But the OP said he didn't think it was "fair" for the designer to profit on the purchases. I've never heard of a designer who only offers retail furniture to a customer. ??

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Some interior designers work at an hourly rate only.
    Some work at cost plus or retail minus only.
    Some charge a flat fee per job.
    Some bill a combination of an hourly rate and cost+ or retail-

I do not work full time in the business but I have generally billed out hourly rate only. The only client that I have ever done extensive, full-house window treatments for had a fabricator that they preferred to use. Since so many people are using blinds or shades or nothing, most of my clients have paid me to measure properly and prepare the order properly and then order it themselves.

None of the methods of billing out are more or less professional than the others, and more designers are starting to work at hourly rates because clients will often try to find things even cheaper on the internet. And many, if not most "to the trade" showrooms will now sell direct to the consumer through in house designers, and it becomes a sticking point who actually gets what commission, etc.

The traditional fee method of markups on to-the-trade only has changed because the game has changed.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Quite a few states have $10,000 or higher small claims court limits and subpoena procedures are different state to state.

This post was edited by olychick on Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 21:29

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

It's not fair that you end up with ill fitting drapes, even at a discount; needing a cornice to make them work seems crazy to me.

What excuses was the workroom giving you, did they even try to make the drapes hang properly ?

The judge seemed to favour the workroom by blaming the fabric, did you buy the fabric or did your designer propose it to you ? we could all learn a lesson here with "customer's own material" drapes, is the workroom not responsible if you provide the material and it turns out difficult to work with or is impossible to provide decent drapes with it ?

This must be so frustrating to you.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Um --

1. Judges do not issue sua sponte subpeonas to random non-parties

2. As pal said, there are many, many payment models today

3. Not paying a business is often the only remedy a consumer has. And it worked here, where the workroom was unable to recover the full sum demanded

4. Nobody said the OP paid retail for anything. If I pay my designer for hours only, my cost for the actual goods or service is the same as her net

This is the basic problem with the home renovation and design industries. The real repeat customers are the trades, not the homeowner. An individual homeowner is just not that important compared to keeping good relations inside the industry, whether you're talking about plumbers or workrooms.

I am still wondering why the drapes cannot simply be re-hemmed and/or re-lined. I'd also be ticked off enough to go after the manufacturer and the designer as well.

• sallymo2015
    11 years ago

Wayfinder,
    It would be great to see a photo of the window treatments and a few details about the type of fabric and the design requested. We could all learn something from your unfortunate experience. Companies are all different, but some of the fabric companies have been known to replace inferior fabric. At the same time, designers and workrooms know the instability of certain fabrics and should have given you a head's up before the fabric was ordered if they thought it might shrink/stretch.
    Did the workroom even try to re-make these?

• Vertise
    11 years ago

"keeping good relations inside the industry, whether you're talking about plumbers or workrooms."

I was told this 30 years ago by a plumber who I had asked to testify in small claims on a bad plumbing job. He was very reluctant, saying that if they do that they get "blackballed" by other plumbers. He did appear, maybe because the guy who did the work was not actually a licensed plumber.

I am also wondering if she declined because she screwed up on the fabric choice or specs so was ultimately to blame if they were inappropriate for the job.

"He said it sounded like the fault was really with the fabric"

And what did he specifically mean by this? A default in the fabric? It is not your job to know what fabrics will or will not work well for an application. If it's a defect, then maybe you have recourse with the manufacturer.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 11:36