SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geokid_gw

Built-Ins around baseboard radiator?

geokid
16 years ago

Hi,

I have a 1920 craftsman foursquare. The living room expands the entire width of the house and half of the depth. A baseboard radiator covers the entire south wall of the living room and 3/4 of the east wall. The south wall is ~12feet with a seven foot window in the center. The window is ~40 inches off the floor.

This wall is just screaming for built-ins. And with a fireplace, an open stairway, and three doorways in the room, it's practically the only good place to put shelving and an entertainment center.

But the baseboard radiator poses a problem. How do I work around that? I've thought of three ideas. Any comments?

1- Have custom shelving built that starts above the radiator and put grills along the floor to let the heat out below the shelves.

2- Buy bookcases, TV stand, etc and add legs to them.

3- Buy bookcases but put them together in such a way that the backer doesn't go all the way to the bottom and then leave the bottom shelf empty.

I should add that we will be moving in about two years, so not sure how much money we want to sink into this.

Thanks!

Amanda

Comments (6)