SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
april_king43

Painting built-in?

AprilShowers
6 years ago

We have a late-1920's house in Seattle that has an enchanting exterior, but had lost most of the interior charm when we bought it 25+ years ago. We've gradually finished/refinished various areas, and in the upstairs bedrooms and hallway we added several built-ins: dressers (both maple), bookcases (mahogany and pine), linen closets and display cabinets (poplar and ash). All of the woodwork, upstairs and down, is painted, so we've painted the built-ins as well. Each of them has a woodwork frame around them, so they truly look like built-ins, not pre-builts sitting in an alcome.

Now we are down to the last built-in planned: a china hutch in the dining room. I have been looking on-line for a suitable used one. Options are limited to a maximum width of 36 inches. Now I think I've found one that will work for $99, but it is solid cherry. My husband's immediate reaction was "great, we'll refinish it". Huh? You mean we'll only paint the woodwork that frames around it? No, his idea is to open the wall, build an alcove to fit, and slide it into place.

So my first question is one of aesthetics: he's suddenly talking about a little alcove without a frame to match every other door, window, or other odd opening in the house. Opinions?

Related to that, we may need to run a baseboard across, because I sincerely doubt that the maple floor will turn out to extend beyond the wall. That raises the second question:

if we have to ha a painted baseboard and "frame" around the china hutch, how will it look to have an unpainted "built-in" in a home where the fireplace surround, woodwork, doors, and other half-dozen built-ins are all painted?

Thanks for any design advice you can give!

Comments (4)