SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
travallie

DIY painting built ins - need some help!

Allison
5 years ago
So this is my second question regarding these built ins. I red some help weeding through the vast internet full of information in how best to paint them.

My idea picture is posted below. This will be my young daughter's play room, so these shelves will house many toys. In other words, I need them to be durable to things constantly moving on and off the shelves, and I need them to be somewhat scrubbable should any future messes occur!

I've read latex paint is bad for this as it will scratch and peel up (I believe this is likely the issue I've had with paint on my window sills anytime I put a plant on them - darn paint sticks and peels up when I remove the plant base!).

I'm trying to build a shopping list of what I would need. And I've painted before, but I am really still a newbie, so I need help!

Step 1 - clean - with soap and water or tsp? I've read both.
Step 2 - sand - what grit? Just enough to roughen it up a bit?
Step 3 - vacuum/wipe up dust.
Step 4 - prime. From my last post, I'm thinking I'll go with Zinsser BIN
Step 5 - paint!

Is this a good plan? What supplies would be best? (Roller? Type/nap length? Paint brushes and types? Paint brush cleaner?) finally, what type of final paint to make this last?

Thank you for any help. There are so many choices that I probably don't even realize I have to make or factor in, so the more specifics I can get, the better!

Comments (11)