SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makingitourhome_gw

A Feminine Space in a Mostly-Neutral Home

makingitourhome
10 years ago

Good evening!

I am going back to school in the evenings to work toward my MBA. My husband has his own office in our house due to the fact that he has to work from home a lot, but he thought it would be a good idea (and I agreed) that I should have an office space of my own, either for homework or for just having a space that I can just be alone. When we started working on his office a few years ago, I let him know that he could have total creative license in that space, without having to worry about my reactions to anything he did with it. I wanted him to feel comfortable expressing himself and creating a space that made him feel at peace. Of course, he has offered the same to me for my new office - I can do whatever I want with it (barring budget constraints of course), and he will embrace whatever I want, no questions asked.

I have been largely the one to direct the design elements of our home since I tend to be more inclined that way, but I have always tried to keep it "neutral." The color palette in the house is pretty consistent: Beige, Chocolate Brown, Robin's Egg Blue, and Sage Green. I love all of those colors and over three years of ownership the house has really evolved and become our own.

However, the idea of creating a space that is totally mine has me feeling challenged. I want girly. I want florals. I think I even want some pink in there! But my office is in the room adjacent to the living room when you first walk in, and I don't want it to stand out like a crazy sore thumb. How do I marry the style of the rest of the house with what I want for this particular room?

Here are some of the office inspirations I have collected on Houzz, to show you what I am looking for:

Traditional Home Office by Dallas Design-Build Firms Platinum Series by Mark Molthan

Eclectic Home Office

Contemporary Home Office by Huntington Beach Interior Designers & Decorators Domicile Interior Design

Comments (15)