SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
levander404

Pre-making big batches of my own cornbread mix

levander404
10 years ago

I make cornbread a lot and haven't found any pre-done cornbread mixture I like at the store even though I've tried a couple.

So, I'm looking at pre-mixing the dry ingredients so I can just add an egg, buttermilk, and maybe melted butter before baking.

The first thing I'm worried about, if I make a big batch of this mixture, and then just spoon out what I need for just one thing of cornbread, how do I know the cornbread mix I made is mixed well enough?

E.g., of all the thousands of little particles in the mixture, how can I make sure there's enough baking powder vs. corn meal in there? If I just shake the big batch of cornbread mix up well enough, should that be good enough to make sure all the particles are distributed well enough?

If I can't make sure everything is distributed well enough, I guess I could make the mix in individual serving size batches...

The second thing I'm worried about, is since the corn meal is whole grain, it should be frozen. But the other stuff that goes in there, like baking powder, can that be frozen? The other stuff, the sugar, salt, and any all purpose flour, I assume that stuff would freeze fine. It's the baking powder I'm worried about.

Comment (1)

Sponsored