SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryanntx

The smallest pleasures...........

maryanntx
16 years ago

Like the graphic on Sandy's question of the day thread says, The smallest pleasures bring the biggest smiles.

I have been hoping that okwriter would start one of her threads about thankfulness, but I haven't seen one lately. So I will list 2 small pleasures that have brought big smiles to my face lately.

One is a container of hand soap that Jenni sent me a couple of months ago. It is wearing a pinnie with a pocket for rings. The soap is cherry-almond fragrance, and I would never have bought a hand soap that smells like food, but I love this!!! Every time I use it I have to smell my hands and smile. In fact I'm in danger of drying out my hands since I use it so much. LOL

The other thing is a hand painted book mark that a paperbackswap.com member included in a book that she sent me. I don't remember which book or who the sender was, but I love that bookmark and use it all the time. The picture painted on it has land at the bottom with a lady with long brown hair wearing long brown pants and a backpack. She is holding a pail. Next is water (a lake, or pond) then in the background is mountains and sky. I'm not sure if it is sunrise or sunset, but the sun is reflected across the water. It is all done in shades of orange with some brown and it is lovely. Every time I move the bookmark to another page I have to run my fingers over the paint to feel it and then I smile.

Have you had any small pleasures lately?

Comments (24)

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

Yep, I sure have. Our eleven year old DGD spent the night with us last night. (She stayed with us trying to dodge the flu that her little sister has!) Anyway, she's not much of a hugger but last night we were going over her spelling words for a test and she laid over against me on the couch. I just held her and smelled of her pretty hair.

I think a lot of times we take small pleasures for granted. Hope your day is filled with both small and large ones, AllNight!

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

When I find myself missing my Grandmother I wear a piece of her jewelry that day. She had a copper bracelet with "Agnes" on it. She wore it for Arthritis. I'm sure she didn't buy it herself, because she hated her name and would have never had it engraved. Just the irony makes me smile.

Gayle

• Related Discussions

Time For Another Small Pleasures/Happy Thread?

Q

Comments (46)
    I ran out to my bank today to transfer some money to my daughter's account. She will have a large income tax return, but that is a couple of weeks away. She lives 800 miles away and is snow bound in Maryland. Their schools have been closed all week and she has not been able to go to her job. That affects her paycheck. I'm happy that I could loan her grocery, gasoline and rent money. The money arrived in her bank account about 15 minutes after I made the transfer, and she did not have to take her car out of its parking space. If she had moved it, her space would have been taken in a flash and she would have had no place to park when she returned home. Folks, it s big mess in Maryland. Snow plows have nowhere to push the snow, so they move it from pile to pile. Some side streets were blocked over night by snow piles left by the plow. (Hagerstown, MD)
    ...See More

Quotes 7 - 17 - 16

Q

Comments (3)
    I had never heard of him before so I looked him up. Lol, he sure did not like working for others, and he did find his true love shortly before he died. Good to know that he found a woman that could meet his criteria.
    ...See More

Quotes 5 - 29 -17

Q

Comments (2)
    I do love Chesterton, always have. Read half of it with my morning cup of coffee and printed it to read the rest later. Don, thank you for a read to keep.
    ...See More

Quotes 8 - 22 - 17

Q

Comments (4)
    The Debussy quotes sound like his music or the other way around, love both of them. Cater-Bresson was interesting to me, since I have 2 professional photographers in the family and I forwarded the quotes to them. Thanks, Don. Whoever collected the Bradbury quotes seems to have just picked up whatever he could find somewhere. I rather read his books, again and again.
    ...See More
  • mimi_boo
    16 years ago

I had the pleasure of spending the evening with my Mom and three teen-aged nephews. After a nice pizza dinner, they opened our Valentine's gifts to them - books. We spent the rest of the evening reading from my youngest nephew's trivia book and answering questions.

I'll take any time with those guys I can. They're fun!

Barbara

• summer_tx
    16 years ago

I can add that wonderful cherry-almond hand soap from Jenni to my simple pleasures too MaryAnn. Although I think it's made me gain weight because smelling it makes me want dessert. :) That Jenni is so thoughtful and talented.

Watching my little dogs always puts a smile on my face. They can be so comical in their daily routine. They brighten our day regularly.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

I must add my furbabies (doggies) are a simple pleasure when they look at me with loving eyes, and do their happy tail thing of wagging their tales wildly. One makes hers go in perfect circles.

Sue...off to give them treats and enjoy lots of happy tails.

• teresava
    16 years ago

DD just turned 3. Her latest "phase" is out of the blue, coming up to you and saying "I love Mommy, I love Daddy" etc. So cute!! She also claims to "love lunch" though lol lol I'll take what I can get!

We go to Mom & Me at our church and we alway open with a certain prayer, then ask if there are birthdays or announcements for the week. So we were at home and she started saying the prayer we always recite. At the end, she said Amen, we got any birthdays? It was just hysterical-and I practically peed in my pants!

• phyllis__mn
    16 years ago

Last week, during church, snow was falling quite heavily. When I came out, I saw that someone had brushed all the snow off my car. I felt like smiling all day.

• jaybird
    16 years ago

the cat who sleeps in my lap every evening to keep us both warm!

• pixistix
    16 years ago

Listening to my daughter's description of new feelings of movement in her belly. She's 4 months pregnant, and had been told as a teen that she'd never be able to have a baby. "Last night, it felt like a circus!" she says with a big smile on her face :)

• mcmann
    16 years ago

Maryanne thanks for posting the topic. Our driveway is covered with ice and my husband made an excuse to go into town to get some salt. I thought we had some in the garage but I assumed I was wrong and didn't say anything. He did come back with 1 little bag but also came back with a Valentine's card for me. That was the real reason he went. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

Phyllis's post reminded me that our wheelchair bound neighbor has been taking our trashcans from the street up to the garage after the trashmen come. The first couple times I didn't know how they had got there. I didn't think the trashmen would be doing that! Then we got a little snow and I saw the wheelchair tracks!

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

For me, a BIG pleasure is hearing that something I did for someone brought THEM pleasure!!
    I'm glad you are liking the soap Maryann!!

• IndianaKat
    16 years ago

Hugs from my grandson...they're the best hugs in the world. My cat purring on my lap...bless her heart...she can't jump up in my lap anymore I have to help her get there...shes such a sweet girl.....my DH snoring beside me at night.....my neighbor who brought me homemade chicken noodle soup last week when I had the flu......a great boss who gave me a pat on the back today (it was a LONG day at work....LOL) and on...and on...and on.....so many things to be thankful for.....

~Kathy~

• Cherryfizz
    16 years ago

Good thread Maryann!

My small pleasure for today is now, being able to post on your thread.

Finding joy and the smallest of pleasures is what got me through the tough times over the last 15 years.

Anne

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

Saw a nice looking young man awhile ago in WalMart. He was rolling along in a wheelchair laughing and talking to his girlfriend/wife (?) walking along beside him. Both of his legs were gone from the thighs down.

I thought of my son, who walks all day on two healthy legs and coaches girls' softball teams.

Not such a small pleasure, but a big blessing.

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

My youngest grandaughter got a DS (hand held nintendo game) for her birthday from her "rich" grandma and grandpa.

She could not hardly wait until Christmas to give me her gameboy. She knows what a gamer nut I am. And I always played her gameboy when I was at their home watching them. And with the Monopoly game in it.

I absolutely love it. I play it all the time and carry it with me in my purse...

Can you picture that....a 63 year old granny with her gameboy...

And yes I've bought more games for it...yeehaw...I love it.

I could just kiss her everytime I pick it up.

Oh...and I've got to tell you...when Bradley (her 8 yr old bro.) knew she was giving me that...he had to dig around in his room to find something his grandpa would like...LOL...he got a rabbit skin....that made me laugh. I had to warn Denny to really act surprised and happy.

patti

• OklaMoni
    16 years ago

Today two friends of mine came over for lunch. A genuine German home cooked meal. :)

We even had wine from my grandpas winery to drink with it.

Then, after a short (after all, it is cold for us Okies today) walk through the yard, we played gardenopoly. They just now left.

What a pleasure this afternoon was, on an otherwise gray and cold day.

Moni

• maryanntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have to say that my greatest "small pleasure" today has been reading all your responses! They each put a big smile on my face! Thanks!

• liz
    16 years ago

Mary Ann...I think about you everyday and pray you're doing better and enjoying MARRIED life...

That Jenni is a keeper...I too was the recepient of the pinnie with lotion...Jergens was a staple in my house growing up...everytime I smell I have such strong thoughts of my mom...Now I think of JENNI and my mom everytime I use that soap...it makes me smile just seeing it sit in my window...

I'm forever thankful for the KT...the friendships and commardaries I've found here are too numerous to mention...

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

Another one who thinks about you everyday, MaryAnn. Give Jammer a smooch for me, too, would ya!? LOL

• vannie
    16 years ago

Just watching the faces on my 4 mo. old twin grandsons is such a pleasure. To be able to make them laugh and giggle and think it doesn't take much to make them happy is a pleasure. I find it pleasurable to get an e-mail from Eva and know I met her through the KT. What a sweetie!

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

Presentation over on "Household Finance" on a thread where someone said that debt drove her crazy.

Reading your responses on various threads, sometimes smiling.

Checking stock prices for the week - didn't lose too much, this week.

Daughter, recently moved, or curretly in the process of moving from Toronto to Scottsdale AZ, sent me a lovely Valentine card ... including some Canadian stamps ... do I catch a hint of a hint, here?

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

The "Does debt scare you?" post, to which I replied, was on this forum.

o j

• maryanntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Liz and YaYa, thanks for the good thoughts. I am feeling very good now. I'm my old self again now that the chemo is out of my system. I'm gaining weight and enjoying my food. I am planning to visit my sister in Florida in 1½ weeks and then coming home to get ready for my surgery which is scheduled for March 10th.

And the marriage is going well. I think it will last. *S*

Jammer is going to be so excited when I tell him I'm passing on a smooch from YaYa!!!

Vannie, Eva is a sweetie, isn't she! Eva, Nita and I shared a room for Buzzard and Ed's Fredricksburg get-together.