SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimster_gw

Which Brand of Canned Tuna?

jimster
15 years ago

The so called "solid white" tuna I bought recently would be better described as ground tuna with tuna pulp.

I understand the euphemistic marketing terms applied to the products we buy. There is no size smaller than medium, for example, but many sizes bigger than large (jumbo, giant, super, etc.). But this tuna was in no way solid. I question if it qualified as "chunk", which I know has nothing resembling a chunk in the can. I bought "solid" expecting to get chunks, but I got crumbs. This stuff could be fed to infants as their first solid food.

My question is, are some brands of canned tuna more reliable than others? Is there a brand which labels its tuna honestly? In order to not bias your replies, I'm won't reveal the name of the crappy brand I've already described until later.

We won't get into other canned tuna issues just yet, such as the unavailability of oil packed tuna (to say nothing of EVOO packed tuna). I don't use a lot of canned tuna. There are better, more economical items. But it is a staple in the American pantry and it has its uses.

Just give me your experience with canned tuna brands, if you find there are differences.

Jim

Comments (25)

• elisamcs
    15 years ago

I grew up with Bumblebee solid white in oil. The only change I've made is I get the water-packed. It's always reliable.

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Bumblebee solid white albacore in water, here too. Nothing else. Chunk or light tuna is too close to cat food for me.

• Related Discussions

Canning Tuna Question

Q

Comments (31)
    Ronald, Dave is right, don't fluctuate between the gauge and the weight at all, go only by the weight. You don't want to play with that heat up and down, if the pressure drops a little and you increase the heat, you can have some siphoning of the oils and juices in the jars - and then a mess, possibly some that won't seal. My very first pressure canning experience years ago was tuna. I scrubbed finished jars over and over and could still smell tuna on the outside...and my canner had to air for days. I made 'water in the canner as clean when I finished as it was when I began' my goal and can reach that easily now. I haven't washed a processed jar of tuna in decades ;) My canning more recently has been over gas too. Just inside the garage with the door open, out of wind. We moved, and this kitchen has a glass topped stove that won't accommodate my canner. I'll turn the gas down very, very slowly once pressure is reached so I never have increase it during processing.
    ...See More

Tuna

Q

Comments (21)
    I used to buy Starkist,Chicken of the Sea chunk tuna in water.I don't like the white albacore,too dry for me.But now i also don't like starkist,or Chicken of the sea.It's like mush when you open the can,and by the time you drain off the water there's hardly anything left. So now i buy the store brand in water and find that is like what COS and SK used to be.So for me it's store brand in water always!! I also eat it with just Mayo and a little bit of ranch dressing. Kathi
    ...See More

Another Product Downsized - Tuna

Q

Comments (28)
    I was picking up some foil the other day and noticed the new gimmick. Before it was 35 sq. ft becomes 30, then 25, now 20. Now they have the new "compact box" to save packaging and "save money". Yeah right. I don't need an extra tube, extra box and that ridiculous "cutter", I want the contents.
    ...See More

I have a stupid question about canned tuna

Q

Comments (28)
    I was off tuna for quite awhile too after having a very fishy can. I'm not a fish eater. I started eating it again a few months ago and buy premium white albacore in a gold can. It's either Bumble Bee or Chicken of the Sea--I don't have any right now to check. I have the pouch in my pantry but haven't tried it yet. But I do add a good spoonful of sweet relish to mask the tuna taste. I don't like deli meats so it's hard to come up with a lunch every day.
    ...See More
  • gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

I know you said you didn't want to get into "other canned tuna issues just yet, such as the unavailability of oil packed tuna" but...

I always buy Genova brand tuna in olive oil. It's what I grew up on and I simply do not like tuna in water or even in "vegetable oil". Genova is available in at least 3 of the 5 big supermarkets in this area.

I never think about the "chunkiness" or lack thereof. It's simply great tasting tuna.

And I won't mention that my uncle, the sports fisherman brings home and cans his own albacore.

Joe

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

I don't suppose you can get this brand over there? Tamarindo is the brand and Bonito del Norte is the northern bonito tuna from Galicia, packed in olive oil and salt. It's the best Spanish white tuna.
    Ortiz is another good brand of high quality white northern tuna and I think that's sold in USA.

I think you can count on getting solid white chunk tuna in olive oil if you look for Bonito del Norte and I see there are many brands, but I don't know which ones are available in N. America.

But I also buy water packed tuna when I don't want the oil.

SharonCb

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Sharon, is anything from the linked website good?

This is the place we found when the LA Times ran an article about Tapas. Their take on it was that Spaniards considered varieties of 'conservos' or canned goods to be desireable and of quality. True?

Here is a link that might be useful: La Espanola Tuna

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

I often buy the store brand of albacore tuna. Most of the time it is indeed on nice solid chunk of fish.

: )
    lyra

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

I most often buy Cento brand solid packed light tuna in olive oil. It has the 'bold' tuna flavor that I like. Although it's usually packaged in a large chunk as the label suggests, the texture of that chunk is soft rather than flaky.

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

For what ever it's worth Cooks Illustrated rated Starkist and Chicken of the Sea solid white Albacore as their top picks. Bumblebee finished dead last.

There are some very good imported Italian and Spanish brands but they cost several times what the American brands do.

• cooksnsews
    15 years ago

I get my store brand when it is on sale. I prefer the stronger tasting cheap stuff over the mild white, or Albacore varieties.

• arlinek
    15 years ago

Whenever possible, which isn't too often, the high-end brand for restaurants - Serco - is an XLN'T quality of solid, white albacore tuna - only avail. to the trade. Usually I can only get it if I find a friend in the "biz." Otherwise, it's one of the popular brands in the store. Also, Costco's brand is fairly good, too. All of them are packed in water, which is always a little healthier and helps balance out the mayo I use - lol.

arline

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

I avoid brands that contain soy, but since I'm a penny-pinching tightwad, I look at price first, and what the tuna will be used for, second.

When you figure the per pound price, cheap tuna at 59-cents a can tuna = $1.57/pound ... $1.29 per can = $3.44/pound etc... The high-end varieties aren't "cheap eats" when you figure the meat price per pound.

I use a brand I buy at Aldi - SeaNet Solid White Albacore, and it's a slice of tuna and works well for sandwiches and tuna salad - where you want to be able to identify it as a type of flaked fish and not turn into tuna salad "gruel".

I like to use the "stronger tasting cheap stuff", like cooksnsews, for casseroles, or a combination of the cheap for tuna flavor (and lower price) and the Albacore for texture.

-Grainlady

• Marigene
    15 years ago

I usually buy solid white albacore, whatever brand is on sale, sometimes it is a gamble, but the last ones I got at Costco were really good (Chicken of the Sea). We had tuna salad on homemade rolls last night with it.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Jessy....
    Yes the Spanish do use a lot of tinned foods, mainly seafood items for making cold dishes, salads and bocadillo sandwiches. The supermarket shelves have a great variety of products and qualities: baby eels (angulas), calamares, anchovies, mussels, cockles, scallops, sardines, squid, octopus as well as tuna. Of course these seafoods are also eaten fresh when available but tins are widely used as the population is accustomed to choosing seafoods for a snack item (eg. a baguette layered with sardines or anchovies) over things which we as N.Americans might choose. The diet is much more geared towards savory rather than sweet.

Jars and tins of white asparagus and piquillo red peppers (pimientos del piquillo) as well as small tins of sweet red pepper strips are common items used in salads as well as for stuffing. Olives are served constantly in tapas and "para picar" nibbles before a meal.
    {{gwi:1554357}} of the piquillo red peppers stuffed with cod which I once made. It's a popular dish and most folks will buy the tinned or jarred red peppers which are cleaned and ready to use. You'll see these on your website link. Mussels are often served as a tapa or buffet item, if not fresh and in the shell, then from a tin served in a dish with toothpicks.
    Tinned tuna is a prime ingredient in {{gwi:1554359}} (ensaladilla Rusa) popular in tapas bars as well as restaurants.

There seem to be many brands from mainland Spain which we don't see here in Canarias. But Albo and Ortiz are commonly seen in supermarkets. I notice all dollar prices on these websites for these import items are very much higher than what we pay here.

SharonCb

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

I have never seen or heard of many of the brands mentioned here. But I will agree that Bumblebee or Geisha seem to be the truest to their labels in my experience.

Starkist and Chicken of the Sea are the worst in my opinion. They are the ones that state "solid" and you get "cat food". I usually trust Cooks Illustrated's opinions but not on this one!

I don't like the new foil pouches, either. To me, the tuna packed in those tastes terribly dry.

Linda

• triciae
    15 years ago

I don't really like any of the grocery store brands of canned tuna. The cat food factor is just too great, IMO. I don't eat mayo based salads of any kind but DH enjoys a tuna salad sandwich once in a while. Mostly, I use tuna for topping a large meal-size garden salad, antipasto platter, & also a large piece of this tuna on top of hot bruschetta is wonderful. This is easy & so good it'll be hard to go back to canned tuna once you've tried preparing tuna like this...it's also easy to adjust for any amount of tuna you wish to prepare. I have dedicated an unglazed clay casserole dish for preparing this tuna. I don't use that dish for anything else now.

2 1/2 pounds fresh tuna fillets
    Sea salt
    6 cloves garlic, smashed with the back of a knife
    2 to 3 sprigs fresh oregano
    2 to 3 sprigs fresh marjoram or rosemary
    Extra virgin olive oil, to cover (the EVOO is important because you can really taste the difference)

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.

In a clay or ceramic baking dish just large enough to hold the tuna in 1 layer, place the tuna and sprinkle generously with the salt on both sides.

Add the garlic & herbs then add enough olive oil to completely cover the tuna.

Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Cook until the tuna is thoroughly cooked and flakes easily, 3 to 4 hours. Note: this will depend on the thickness of your tuna; you will know that it is done when it flakes easily and the fillets feel firm from the edges all the way to the center.

Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven (remember the dish is now full of HOT oil) and set on a rack to cool completely.

Transfer the tuna, with enough oil to cover, to jars, and refrigerate until ready to use.

I prefere to flake the tuna in large chunks rather than mincing it into tiny pieces. We like it so that it's identifiable as tuna. Except for DH's sandwiches I serve it at room temperature.

Yum!

/tricia

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Here's another vote for Bumblebee solid white albacore in water. I've tried all the popular brands and TJ's brand, but I like Bumblebee the best. The worst for me is Starkist.

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

I'm with Joe -- I'll only buy the Genova tuna in olive oil, which I think is fantastic... Makes for a great salad nicoise...

Emily

• craftyrn
    15 years ago

I found Aldi's SeaNet solid white albacore to be mostly reliable-- only once in a while not as solid as I'd like.
    But since we've gone to mostly low salt canned goods I've been using Walmart brand Low Salt Albacore water pack or Bumblebee Very Low Sodium chunk white albacore in water-- even tho some cans turn out not as "chunky " as I'd like.

Neither of us care for any foil packed we've tried or "fresh" tuna. Guess maybe I'll try Tricia's method .

And maybe it's my imagination but it seems since the big "push" of the foil pack most canned tuna has lesser "solid ".

• User
    15 years ago

When using canned tuna I prefer Cloverleaf's solid white albacore tuna. Not sure if it's available in the US.

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

The Bumblebee premium albacore in the gold can (the label is upside down) is great. Solid piece of snow white tuna. Not cheap, but not bad at about $1.69-1.99 a can. I know what people mean about the 'cat food' tuna LOL. A former co-worker used to bring in her 'most requested' tuna noodle casserole. Ugh...when tuna is 39 cents....you can imagine. Disgusting! I'm fussy about my tuna!

Duane

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

I'm from Canada too!
    Cloverleaf solid white albacore tuna is the best.

• jimster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your feedback everyone. I found all of it interesting. Now it's time to reveal the brand of falsely labeled, sneered-at-by-cats, fish flavored gruel that motivated the original post. Are you ready?

The label on the empty can says StarKist Solid White Albacore Tuna In Water. It has a picture of cartoon fish with hat and glasses and a huge smile (Charlie the Tuna?) and a picture of a fork loaded with three big, beautiful, overlapping flakes of tuna.

I'm not a fan of America's Test Kitchen (although I know of good cooks who are) and their tuna test doesn't increase my esteem for them. They did indeed blow it with the tuna test, based on what I and many of you have observed.

Now I will pay attention to brand when purchasing a popular brand of canned tuna. Bumble Bee has some adherents here, so I will look for that next time. Also I will consider springing for the more expensive types.

Thanks again.

Jim

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Jim, for what it's worth, I agree with you on the America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated opinion, I very seldom agree with them. Of course, I'm a peasant, so what do I know?

As for tuna, Bumblebee is my most often purchased, I don't care for Starkist or Chicken of the Sea. I think I've seen frozen tuna here maybe twice in my life, so cooking fresh tuna isn't an option for me. I'm kind of picky because I tend to eat it straight from the can,without mayo or dressing. I've learned to prefer sardines because the tuna has gotten so bad sometimes.

Annie

• jimster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie,

Let's think about something called Michigan's Test Kitchen/Jim's Illustrated.

Jim

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I like the imported ones in olive oil, and if you're near a Wild Oats or Whole Foods, there's a terrific variety in sunflower and sesame oil.