SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

uninsulated exterior walls, time for bubble wrap?

sunslight
15 years ago

My house was built in the 50's. The exterior walls are cinder block, with a brick veneer; finished on the inside with a mortar like plaster on a metal lathe, and a smooth 1/8" skim coat on top of that, which we paint. The thickness of the exterior walls, not counting the outside brick, is 6".

In the winter time, which is what it is now, the walls transmit the outside cold, right through and into the living area.

The temp. of the wall on the inside, is about 25F above the outside temp. So, at 7F outside, the inside wall is 32F. It's like touching an ice cube, but not wet.

The furnace can't keep up with it. It's set to 68F, and that what it is in the interior hall where the thermostat is located. But the middle of rooms with exterior walls are closer to 65F. However, the closer you get to the wall, the more the temp drops. At 2" away from the wall it's 35F.

For an experiment, I placed a 3'x3' piece of bubble wrap directly beneath a double window.

The temp at the bubble wrap was very nearly 67F, while the right next to the bubble wrap, where there was only the regular wall, it was closer to the 35F.

What can I do?

I think even a thin coat of something would do much to help break the cold from getting through.

I can't make a frame and put in Sheetrock. That'd pull in the walls at least 2", which would throw off the corners, the fireplace, the door frames; plus, loosing the space. But then, bubble wrap looks kind of strange too.

Any ideas of what you'd do? Or who I would call for information, ideas? --I wear sweaters, already. I really need to get the temp up. There is a very valuable piano in the living room and it doesn't like cold, nor low humidity.

--My wife may come home and find the living room wrapped in bubble wrap, anyway. (Oh, I can't put anything between the brick veneer and cinder block. It violates code to close the air space.)

The houses here were all built the same way. My new neighbor demolished the house he bought and built a nice, new, insulated one. But that's a bit much for me.

Hope you can help. Or is it down to Lowes for bubble wrap?

bob

Comments (17)