SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Warm versus cool decor - your experience?

oceanna
13 years ago

I love the decorating pics that are done in predominantly whites and pale blues.

But to those of you who have that, do you want to run for a sweater when entering those rooms in the winter? Do people tend not to have much to say in those rooms?

In my first house, in the beginning we had a pale carpet, almost white, and white walls. We gave a Christmas party and people didn't mingle well, didn't get chatty, and went home early.

Later, the pale carpet was replaced with a reddish brown one, and we had added a huge (vaulted ceiling) reddish brown accent wall. Same group to the same Christmas party talked up a storm and I thought they would NEVER go home!

Further tweaking of the LR over time made it even warmer and much homier, antique-laden, with lots of warm touches. The warmer the decor, the more people wanted to be in there, get super chatty there, and never want to leave.

That is what has kept me from decorating in primarily white (well, that and the thought of what pets and kidlets would do to it -- input welcome there too).

What's your experience with warm versus cool colors been?

How about your experience with minimalist versus more "homey" decor?

Comments (27)