SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti43

Recipes for ? Week 4 - February, 2013

patti43
11 years ago

I noticed Walnutcreek didn't post yesterday, nor this morning. I sure hope she's okay and just having computer problems.

Anyway, I hate to step on her toes, but thought go ahead I'd start it for her this week.

Anything goes this week--a new recipe that turned out well, a recipe you want to try, family favorites. Anything your little heart desires.

This is a new one I've made twice now. It's just too good--at least we think so. Don't let the recipe scare you because it's Julia Child's. It's pretty simple.

SPINACH QUICHE (Julia Child)

2 tablespoons finely minced shallots or 2 tablespoons green onions (I use shallots)
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups chopped blanched spinach (drained) or 1 1/4 cups frozen spinach, drained (I used one bag of fresh)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 pinch nutmeg

Egg Custard

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 pinch nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (8 inch) partially cooked pastry shells (on baking sheet)
1 cup grated swiss cheese
1 tablespoon butter, cut into pea-sized dots

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake a 9" deep dish pastry shell for 9-10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Cook the shallots or onions for a moment in the butter.

Add the spinach and stir over moderate heat for several minutes to evaporate all its water. Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg and taste carefully for seasonings and set aside.

Beat the eggs, cream and seasonings in a mixing bowl. Gradually stir in spinach mixture. Pour into partially baked pastry shell. Sprinkle with cheese and dot the top with butter. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes. The quiche is done when a knife plunged into the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.

Comments (26)