SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
graciesmom284

furniture arrangement in family room

graciesmom284
16 years ago

hi, i have another post on here regarding my new room, but i also need help with arranging furniture in a family room, mostly used by my 8 year old watching tv. or when guests come over. is there a better way to arrange my furniture, and the room was done about 7 years ago, how can i update it or "refresh" it?

THanks!!

Comments (25)

• whenicit
    16 years ago

I think your room is screaming out for paint on the fireplace wall. That would beautifully accent the white trim on your arched windows. As for color, I'm not an expert but a darker tan to pull that out of the couch or maybe a bolder rust color? Although I am not sure I'd go too dark with your darker wood pieces.

Another thought is an accent rug under your coffee table area.

I'm not sure I 'get' the placement of the chairs by the FP, they seem a little small/out of scale. What about putting them side by side somewhere else?

Green is a hot color, is there a way to add an updated green to your FP area w/o clashing with your chairs? Not sure but maybe a green plant?

Are you ready to update the pic over the mantle or is that out of budget? Maybe a large leaning piece would be a 'pop'?

Just my quick thoughts!
    Good luck!

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I like the art over the fireplace, but I think it's too large.

It's bigger than the fireplace opening, so it seems to overbalance it.

How about if those nine images were separately framed?

• Related Discussions

furniture arrangement for family room?

Q

Comments (17)
    I copied your sofa exactly, but I put it on your original floor plan. There should still be enough room. Just tried to refine the placement of the furnishings to center the coffee table & loveseat on the fireplace and pull the sofa and loveseat away from the back wall otherwise you only have 2 feet to walk around the back of the loveseat in your plan. The preference on the sofa depends on the style. I would consider a sofa, 2 lounge chairs & a matching swivel recliner. I don't see the value of the loveseat. Too bulky in any room. I would consider a small scale sectional and a recliner before I would do the sofa/ loveseat combination.
    ...See More

Help w furniture arrangement in sunken family room

Q

Comments (150)
    Something about rectangular shapes [of windows] and several together -- fp item with irregular shape [cause it's sculptural] -- adds interest. There'd be another spot for art - the opposite wall where there's nothing right now. Maybe large canvas, and it could have contemporary vibe if it's the thing, the main thing in that area... have at it on a store-bought canvas: you with a color, and him with a color!!! ;-)
    ...See More

How to arrange furniture in long/narrow family room?

Q

Comments (1)
    Following
    ...See More

Help arranging furniture to better utilize family room

Q

Comments (28)
    Yes, the layout RL suggested is best with a sectional. If placed the other way, which you said you liked, you would always be walking all the way around the sectional to sit down. Also, if you don't need the french doors to get into that room, don't be afraid to push the sofa/sectional back, not right up against the doors, but maybe a foot or two away. You could put up fabric on the other side of the doors with rods on the top and bottom. Or use a decorative screen. Or remove the doorknobs and put two pictures up on the doors like they sometimes do in front of a bookcase. Lots of options to gain more room if the doors are not needed. Google for some ideas. Would love to see what you end up doing.
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    16 years ago

I agree with whenicit that the chairs seem out of place and should be moved elsewhere. I also agree with mcclarke that the picture over the fireplace is overpowering. Adding to the scale issue are those small metal brackets (the little shelves) on either side of the fp, which seem too dainty for that wall. I'd suggest taking down those little shelves, then hanging your curtain rods so they are mounted further from the window frame -- so when the curtains are open (I assume they always are open, since you have shades or blinds on the windows), they clear the windows, so the windows are less covered up. I hope that makes sense. Some color on the walls might be nice too -- perhaps pick up a warm beige from the brick in the fp.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

Is that a real parrot on the sofa? If it is, I love you for letting it fly around the house.

Just for a change, try placing the two green chairs side by side opposite the sofa, with the sofa facing the armoire.

I would paint the wall surrounding the fireplace the same color as the fireplace grout.

Overall, the scale of your knicknacks seem undersized for the room. I would have fewer and bigger ones.

I think you could find drapes that give the room more drama.

I see one lamp in that room - not nearly enough. I would have a torchiere and a couple more table lamps, a light accenting the branches in the corner, an uplight on the armoire, and anywhere else I could get more lighting.

Maybe a sofa table?

• les917
    16 years ago

Would it be possible to get a couple more pix of the rest of the room? I feel like we are only seeing part of it, not the full wall space on either side wall. It would really help in knowing what the possibilities and limitations are to the space.

I think I see a countertop in the foreground of the one pix, so is the kitchen next to this space?

Before moving things around, I would give serious consideration to painting the walls. You have dark case goods, dark colors in the leather chairs and even in the couch fabric, and then very light walls, flooring and drapery. It took me a couple of times to realize there is trim around the demilune windows - it just disappears, and the stronger color of the fireplace overpowers almost everything (except for the dark armoire).

I think the counter in the foreground appears to have green in it, and you have a lot of green in the leather and fabric, so perhaps that is a favorite color? If so, a medium green on the walls might work. My instinct would be a warm beige, somewhere between the color of the drapery and the mat on the piece over the fireplace. It appears that a richer beige is in the couch print as well.

Adding the color will show off the architectural features of the room and make the whole space seem warmer and friendlier, and more complete. Your drapes won't look washed out, and the richness of the wood will come through more as well.

As I said, more pix would help, but right now my thought is move the armoire to the space where the mirror is on the right.

Move the small cabinet to the space where the armoire was, but flat against one wall. Add a lamp. I wouldn't put that mirror back over it, it seems too large and too heavy (tho more pix may show that not to be true). Flank that with the small side chairs that were by the fireplace.

Keep the couch where it is. Use one end table and a lamp by the left end of the couch. Put the leather chairs on either side to flank the fireplace, using the leather chair with the ottoman on the left side. Use one end table with lamp by the right side chair.

Your accessories, as has been mentioned, are mostly too small for the fireplace mantel. I would also think about boxing in or replacing the mantel with something bulkier, stained in a darker stain like your furniture. The mantel could use more visual weight on the lower half, to close some of the gap between the current mantel and the firebox.

• graciesmom284
    Original Author
    16 years ago

regarding the photo looking into the kitchen,and dining room, i plan on totally redoing the dining room, new colors, drapes and furniture etc. so ignore the colors there. also in the kitchen you can see wallpaper in the back , soon to be removed. oh yeah also the cabinets in the family room to the left are just put there temporarily waiting to be installed in our new room. hope this helps

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

I had the same thought as Les about moving the armoire. It's overpowering that window to the right of it. Do you watch from the kitchen?

For chairs, if there's enough room, I like the look of a sofa with 2 heavy armchairs opposite it, and 2 smaller chairs flanking either corner of the sofa. Because your sofa and chairs are big, I agree that the 2 wood chairs are a bit too small for that.

And I like sueb's suggestion for moving the curtains out onto the wallspace to expose more of the window!

• ladynimue
    16 years ago

Ohh, I love your rooms and all the stuff/projects going on in them (just like mine, lol).

I'd love to see your drapes hung higher - over the arches and down to the floor. I think that would really go well with your tall fireplace.

Something like this?
    (design from Vern Yip on his show Deserving Design last night - I'd love some furniture like this for my sun room!)

{{!gwi}}

• graciesmom284
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok, i definifately agree with those of you who suggested painting. The room is due to be repainted soon anyway, so anyone have any color suggestions? in the meantime i will check out other posts that have tans/beige, I am actually getting sick of green, as a full bath upstairs is a pale green, the dining room is a very dark ragg rolled green, etc. so tans, beige or any other suggestions would be fine. also if i were to have someone help me (yeah right, like i could help)move the tv armoire how would the furniture be layed out?
    also if i take down the big picture (is everyone agreeing to do that?) what size do i replace it with? i have an oil painting my grandfather did i will put a photo up of it, maybe that would work? should i paint the brick on the fireplace too? or just leave it. I also took down the wall brackets with candles on either side of the fireplace. one issue i have if i put up the oil painting is the sun might damage it. maybe there is a protective coating i could put on? that actually was hanging there for a while, but I'd like to pass on the painting to my children, so I'd like to not have it fade??? So I took it down and bought the big one. thanks for all your help!

• graywings123
    16 years ago

Something like this? (design from Vern Yip on his show Deserving Design last night)

Sorry to drive this off topic, but is Vern Yip really showing "floods" (draperies that end above the baseboard) as the new thing in drapery lengths? Say it ain't so!

• les917
    16 years ago

Graywings, I am guessing on those Vern windows that what happened was they bought ready-mades, and thought they would be long enough. When they got them up there, if they hung them to just above the floor it would have put the rod smack across the arched window. Because the room has a high ceiling, I don't think they wanted to lower the whole treatment to sit at the bottom of the arch, so left it, and hoped that it wouldn't be noticed on camera.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

Yes, that is probably what happened to Vern. I see it on the HGTV makeover shows too.

Anyhow, back to this room arrangement. I think the TV armoire is causing placement issues because there are so many windows. There may not be a perfect wall space for it.

• les917
    16 years ago

Graciesmom, did you think about the arrangement that I suggested in an earlier post? I think relocating the armoire will make a big difference in the feel of the space.

If you can, do a rough measurement on the pieces that must stay in the room, and then you can use a room arranging site like this one:

bhg room arranger

You still end up having to move furniture to see the whole idea in three dimensions, but the room arranger lets you try some ideas and eliminate those that just plain won't work because of size issues, etc.

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

graciesmom, that painting is beautiful. I can understand wanting to preserve it. I would ask a professional about how best to use it or store it. I often wonder the same thing as I deal with hanging things over radiators and in bright sunlight, though I have nothing as special as that piece!

• graciesmom284
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi again
    I will not be able to move the tv armoire anytime soon, as it has a gazillion wires hooked up to it for cable, and computer whatever. I don't even know what half of the wires are for. soooo, if i can't move the armoire, what are the suggestions besides painting? I took down the little shelf brackets, already and cleared the mantle. as far as paint, anyone have an idea if BM lenox tan will look ok?

• msjam2
    16 years ago

graciesmom, can you tell me where you got your coffee table? I've been looking for a similar design (with drawers) for a long time and can't find anything that I like. Who's the maker?

Thanks a lot!

• graciesmom284
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi msjam2
    the coffee table is from the bob timberlake collection. i love it since it has drawers and doors to open and i can stash all my decorating magazines in there! we bought it several years ago, so you will have to check to see if it is still available. good luck!

• ladynimue
    16 years ago

I like the big chair moved to the FP... those other chairs looked tiny next to the tall fp. Maybe move another chair to the other side for balance? An area rug would look nice, too.

I really don't think you need to do much in order to refresh the room. Maybe bring in some of the other colors from the sofa. I still think the drapes would look awesome and really set of the FP if they were raised and put on wider rods.

• graciesmom284
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi
    thanks for all the advice. i can't move the armoire at this point...i'm looking into what color i should paint the walls to bring some warmth in to the room. if i raise the drapes i will have to get new ones as these would be too short, any idea what kind of drapes, or color? also does anyone think i should paint the firplace or change the mantel? i've never been crazy about either. thanks!

• msjam2
    16 years ago

Thank you very much! I appreciate it.. now the hunt begins.. :D

• ladynimue
    16 years ago

I wouldn't paint the FP, though I know a lot of other people would. A darker stained mantel might be nice, it'd stand out more.

Can you sew? Possibly add an accent color to the bottom and/or top of the drapes.

What colors do you like? I'd pick out one of the warmer colors from your sofa (browns, tans?) for the walls, and choose a couple of the other colors for accents.

Or I like that gold pillow on your green chair, nice and warm and yummy. Maybe for the drapes?

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Here ya go:

Lenox Tan, keeping the brick
    {{!gwi}}

Lenox Tan with Creamy White brick
    {{!gwi}}

Lenox Tan with Cloud White brick
    {{!gwi}}

A little darker
    Tyler Taupe with Feather Down brick (all BM colors)
    {{!gwi}}

• teacats
    16 years ago

I have looked and looked at this room .....

Sooooooo .... I do love the painted room above and the brick fireplace ..... and I would paint out the mantel in soft antique white too so it blends into the whole thing. Do consider painting out the brass on the doors because that shiny brass (although I do like shiny brass) tends to be the focal point of the room. It draws the viewer's eye right to it.

And I like the original artwork on the mantel -- although I would hang it up so it gains a bit more height to balance out the really high visual "weight" of the fireplace.

I liked the sofa in its original position facing the fireplace.

I really did not like the two tiny chairs on each side of the fireplace. The chairs are lovely BUT are way out of visual scale with the fireplace.

Next -- I would move the two green chairs to the right-hand side with the small table (and lamp) between them. Play with the placement so that one of the chair "fills" in the area on the right-hand side of the fireplace. I would remove the mirror and chest on the far right-hand-wall behind them IF necessary to make this arrangement work. This arrangement would allow the maximum TV viewing PLUS allow for conversations.

Look for a smaller chair to sit on the left hand side of the fireplace OR simply put a large basket filled with throws etc. there for now. For an example of how a chair would work there -- simply experiment by trying an arm chair from your dining room. Just try it to see if a chair would work there!

Just some thoughts! Hope you don't mind! :)

• chelone
    16 years ago

I did catch the bird on the sofa, lol. So, what kind is is it? Indian Ringneck?

We used to let our cockatiel out for daily flights and "family time". He's been gone over a year now and I miss the whoosh of air that preceeded his delicate landing on my head or shoulder... (I don't miss the chewed crown mouldings on his favorite door, though!).

• graciesmom284
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow, thanks lindybarts that is great. i like the lenox tan and leaving the brick alone. maybe i'll just get a new mantle soon. thank you thank you! i'll still work on the furniture arrangements and draperies.

chelone - that's a white eyed conure. his name is Curly (woob woob woob! why sointenly! ) my husband is a big 3 stooges fan. Curly can say woob woob woob! so far. he is almost a year old. he hangs out mostly on one of us or in his cage when we are too busy or out. of course the only bad part is cleaning up his poop. (don't worry i get it right away, and it's a cinch) i'm allergic to cats and dogs, so a small parrot works for me. his wings are clipped so he can't fly around but he manages to gracefully glide down-* he is extremely friendly and loves to cuddle and sleep on us. :)