SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Please show me your corner prep sink?

13 years ago

Hi all -- I'm wondering about the feasibility of placing a prep sink in the corner of an island -- that is, you'd be standing not nestled in the inner right-angle crook of two counters of your corner sink, but on the outside edge of a counter that goes off in two right-angled directions.

There's been some discussion of a 16" round sink mounted in an 18" cabinet, and of kohler's 5-sided corner sink (which is discontinued I think but possibly still available). I'd love to try to stuff a 23" interior into that 24" corner cabinet, but I doubt I could find something that would work that way even if it were literally possible.

Regardless, if you've solved this problem, I would sure love to admire your handiwork! Thanks for ideas or pictures...

Comments (19)

• 13 years ago

Aliris- I like this corner sink! Very pretty, but rustic. I don't know if it's the size you're looking for, but the asparagus looks great :)

Here's the link, if you want to see the other details in the kitchen.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to kitchen

• 13 years ago

Your 24" cabinet is only 22 1/2" inside, so no way you're fitting a sink that has a 23" interior measurement in that! :-) I think the specs usually call for a cabinet that is 3" larger than the sink size...Like a standard 33" sink usually fits nicely in a 36" cabinet.

Anyway, I think you probably have seen my island sink but here it is...On the corner with the faucet set on the diagonal so that either the side at the end of the island or the side at the side of the island can be considered the sink 'front.'

I can't find the other photos I thought I had on photobucket, but I have more recent photos with the island and sink shown from other angles on my blog, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog with kitchen pics

• Related Discussions

Show me your prep sinks

Q

Comments (6)
    My peninsula "prep" sink is a full-sized single basin Kohler Mayfield cast iron sink. 25L x 22W, 8 inches deep. Kohler's most popular single basin sink according to the ads. Today it had a mess of overgrown pattypan squashes in it for washing, then a half-bushel of broccoli and beans, followed by a 3-legged large cast iron Lodge dutch oven and a second smaller dutch oven for cleanup. It also is used by garage mechanic DH for handwashing. Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Mayfield used as
    ...See More

Show me your corner sinks!

Q

Comments (1)
    Here are several threads and one photo album discussing corner sinks. They have quite a few pictures (including my corner prep sink). Thread: Show me your corner sinks, please! Thread: Sink in a corner? Thread: pros and cons of sink in corner Marandall's Sink: Corner farmhouse sink [Contains detailed measurements and pics...very, very helpful...and not just for farmhouse sinks!] Thread: Corner sink- Yea or Nay?
    ...See More

HELP...please show your prep sink area.

Q

Comments (0)
    I am worried that I need too many "things" around my prep sink. Functionally I would like: Karbon faucet (two holes) an air switch for disposal soap dispenser AND I really do need a hot water dispenser. I'm wondering if it might be better to get a Karbon wall mount faucet for the sink, perhaps that would help with the visual clutter, or maybe give up the air switch and go old style inside the cabinet? HELP!!! Please show your prep sink area. Thanks!
    ...See More

Show me your corner sinks, please!

Q

Comments (8)
    Lynn -- I have lived with a corner sink for 28 years and love it and no corner cabinet above. With the new kitchen that we are planning, I don't want a cabinet over the sink, but do want a "wow" factor. I've seen a wonderful arrangement for a corner and am considering it--it's two shelves at 90 degree right angles and two sets of apothecary (3 on each side) drawers under the bottom shelf. This allows you to decorate with pretty pottery, or plants, teapots, etc. The little aporthecary drawers are very attractive, but not cheap. In not putting a cabinet above your sink, you also gain a nice amount of room behind your sink and don't have to worry about your faucet, soap dispenser, sprayer, etc.
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

Oh ... right you are about the inset size. Forgot about that! Rats....

Actually, I haven't seen your kitchen, or at least had missed that corner amenity! Thanks for the peek.

There's a Kraus sink that's nearly square with a jog where a faucet might go stylishly. And I think Blanco has a squarish sink with the drain right in the corner, only I can't seem to find it ... I'm wondering whether it's actually European only.

Can you please tell me the sink that you have (if you remember)? Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraus 5-sided sink

• 13 years ago

Mine is a Kohler Iron/Tones that can be flush or under-mounted.

I am linking a page from Faucetdirec.com that shows the Iron/Tones collection. My sink is the K-6584, but the K-6587 is squarer and a little larger, as well as deeper, and will certainly fit in a 24" cabinet. (The K-6585 might even fit, but it's more rectangular, so may not look as good with the faucet on the diagonal.) I had a smaller island than yours and didn't want to lose too much of the workspace facing the stove to sink, so chose the smaller. I actually taped the dimensions out on the kitchen floor in the mobile home we lived in while we were building so I could compare sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Iron/Tones sinks on Faucetdirect.com

• 13 years ago

Hi Rhome -- you probably have more practical experience than I stuffing sinks into boxes. I'm finding that the maufacturers recommend different cabinet sizes for comparable sink dimensions. I'm going to presume I can trust them unless you say otherwise -- I suppose perhaps this has to do with the radius of the sink or other such technicalities?

For example, that Kraus I linked to above is a 20mm radius, and 21x16.75x9, and they say it will fit into a 24" cabinet. Other manufacturers, Blanco for example, say that a sink of that dimension needs a 27" cabinet.

I like the sinks you linked to. I take it you prefer the cast iron for prep work? I suppose there's less maintenance....

Thanks all!

• 13 years ago

When I was planning my kitchen, someone here had a fireclay farmhouse sink on the corner. You just need to like that style and find one completely finished on at least 2 sides. That's probably the maximum sink bowl possible in the space.

• 13 years ago

I prefer cast iron sinks over stainless, period. I have never had or used a stainless one I liked...Always water-spotty and such...never looking clean and like you have to wipe them out every minute. I admit that I've never used one of the expensive types, so don't know if they're any better. I might be tempted to try it for one of the SS apron fronts, because they're just too cool looking. ;-)

But I do like white cast iron that clean up so nicely with a bit of Comet or Barkeeper's Friend. There's also something classic and homey about the shiny white porcelain coating. I have been tempted to change out my double bowl main sink for a Silgranite Super Single, because I'm sure I'd like the big open size, but not sure I'd like the look of the material as well.

• 13 years ago

I did that! I used an angled cabinet, and a Silgranit bar sink that can be drop in or under mount. It was probably the only sink that would fit in the color I wanted. I also used a Kohler Simplice Secondary faucet with the single hole. Fitting it all was a bit of a trick - my contractor had to notch the sides of the cabinet for the lip of the sink (we under mounted), and we put the faucet behind the back lip of the sink.

It works perfectly, not awkward at all. And it doesn't look cramped either. Actually one of my favorite things - and I was really concerned about doing it. It was the perfect solution for us since we didn't have a large area to work with.

I wanted to post pics for you but can't find the cord to connect my camera. Hopefully I can post pics later.

• 13 years ago

Numbersjunkie -- I was thinkng about using that silgranite bar sink! It's something like 17", no? A little bit smaller than I was hoping for; I wanted something like 19-22" Do you find it big enough? Are you a big veggies/fruit washer or meat prepper? (I think the latter takes less space).

I would really love to get a gander of your setup if you can make that camera work; thanks!

re: sink material... I have gone round and round on this question for so long now. The fact of the matter is, I guess; I don't care: I like them all. I grew up with a huge ss sink that my mother faithfully wiped down for 50 years and it always looked nice. She renovated and lost the sink about 7 years ago and the replacement is so much narrower; I hate it! And as her eyesight has gone her sink looks less nice too.

Truth is, I would never remember to wipe the ss sink, but I wouldn't care about spots either. I'm married to a not-neat person and my own habits have sunk to lowest-common-denominator status; cleaning isn't my interest or fort�. Actually, I keep things clean, just not picked-up. Uncleanliness is not something I tolerate. Thus keeping food cleanup scraps from out of a prep sink seems like a good idea; basically just keeping meat separate from veggies is important.

Anyway, I am cottoning on to these decisions that I just can't make one way or another, that there are often no one obvious, good answer. Either could work, just fine. And so rather than worry more to try to artificially extract The answer, worry less and accept either, whichever way.

I really like the *idea* of silgranite; silly, emotional, insupportable, but I'd like for one of my sinks to be silgranite; I'd like to try it. Also, critically, at least some others love them.

I don't like that enamel is so hard and glasses break, but grids mitigate this enormously; I didn't hate our tiny double-bowl enamel sink; it was what it was. Pleasant, problematic. SS is warmer and a little grippy and I think that's good.

I wonder if the reason so many people suffer divorce and other life-traumatizing emotional problems renovating is because of the deep, existential what-do-I-really-like, how-do-I-really-operate questions that arise?

• 13 years ago

I like things to look fairly neat, but don't want to fuss, so like my materials to hide a little of my sins! ;-)

Funny that you describe stainless as warmer, because I see it the opposite. I guess that's why we have choices! :-D

You were asking Numbersjunkie about size. I prep veggies for a family of 10 in our 14 1/2 x 16 sink with no problem. Could it be bigger? Yes...Especially since I'd like to be able to rinse my cast iron pans in it rather than take them to the cleanup area. Is it too small? I've never really felt that way while prepping...but it depends on the prepping style. I rinse and do some trimming over the sink, but anything I sort or lay out goes on the counter. The sink isn't much of a work area. I know what I'm trying to explain, but I don't know if it's coming out clearly in writing...

Really, mapping out the sizes your considering will help a lot. Think about what bowls, colanders, pots, etc. you might want to fit in it.

• 13 years ago

Check this out: *bamboo sinks*. Now I've seen everything....

I like the idea of a farmhouse sink on the corner, so as to maximize space there, but I don't want the overt emphasis that makes for.

Rhome, I dunno if ss is "warmer", but it seems to me so in some functional sense. I think what it is is that somewhere inside of me somewhere when I think and use and see enamel I think: *crack* -- there goes another glass! I'm a teensy bit afraid of its destructive properties. This after living with an enameled sink with grates on the bottom for 13 years and really hardly ever, if ever, breaking a glass ... it's not really a problem. But it *feels* like it inside of me! So that's why I feel ss is friendlier. Not for the lustre or shininess or conversely implied steeliness of its appearance.

See? Deep inner feelings. Geesh. It's just a sink. Note to self: Pick one and move on....

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo kitchen sink

• 13 years ago

Here are my pics. As far as then size of the sink goes, mine is not used for prep - it is for filling the coffee pot and etc. Size is fine for that. Luv my kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 13 years ago

I've had cast iron sinks most of my life and can only think of a couple times a glass broke in the sink, and I'm not sure it was because of the actual sink. So 2 glasses out of 40 yrs or so seems pretty good. :-) I have to say that our sink can be loud. When the kids do the dishes, you'd swear they were breaking things...All our glasses are glass and our dishes are porcelain, but nothing ever breaks against the sink, even though they get crashed around. It's sure not because the kids are careful!

I don't use grates, because it's just another thing to move out of the way to clean, and another thing to clean besides. I can't really give an opinion, of course, since I've never had them...I'm all about 'keep it simple.'

Another silly reason I don't like stainless? I don't like the sound. I think that is different with higher quality sinks, too.

You're right...it's a sink. Choose which material appeals to you, then find one the right size. Done. ;-)

Wait...You're doing the Stages sink at your cleanup right? So you'll want a stainless to match?

• 13 years ago

Here are my pics -

• 13 years ago

Hey Lavender -- every time I scroll down this thread I give a little internal smile seeing that sink. Thanks for it. I think I'm not going to opt for a round sink, but I would love to have that if I were going to!

Rhome -- yeah I had been thinking about the Stages sink, you're right. But I think it's more of a prep sink and cleanup sink rolled into one. If you can have just one sink (and fit it) it would seem perfect. But I have space for a separate, large even prep sink, and space as well for a huge cleanup sink. So I decided not to go for it I think. The smaller stages I thought about for the island, but I don't think I need or want to devote the limited island space to a reef like that. And at the cleanup sink space I'd rather have more sink and less sidebar. So while I love the idea of the sink, I am thinking it specializes more than I need.

Numbersjunkie -- thanks for the picture. That shape sink looks absolutely perfect there. I notice the angle of your cabinets is greater than 90-degrees though, more like 100 or so; it's quite a different setup and use of space than what I'm contemplating... not to say it's not great or really helpful to see, just that the problems I'm worrying about might not be addressed by your experience.

Can you tell me about your cabinets? They are just beautiful. I love the grain of the wood.

Thanks all.

• 13 years ago

A few sinks...not mine but pretty ones to think about.
    ~boxer
    Monster Islands

Plum Builders Schuster

Cal finder Marble island

Devos Woodworking

Goldenwave granite

Ebeniste LV

ZsCorp. Kitchen Designs

Colonial cream granite image

{{!gwi}}

Clive Christian San Fran

Soap Stone Supply

Red Dragon Granite

Red Dragon Granite again

• 13 years ago

aliris - It is a regular 90 degree corner as you can see from the wall behind the sink. I used the angled cabinet to soften the edge. Another option would have been to just use a straight angle like the picture above with the beautiful goldenwave granite above, but I don't think that would have given me the depth I needed.

FYI - The cabinets are Brookhaven Cherry - Sierra with a matte finish. Counter is honed Virginia Mist - with a few water rings that I missed because I was in a hurry to get the pics posted for you. They are gone now!

• 13 years ago

Numbersjunkie,
    LOVE your countertops!
    ~boxer

• 13 years ago

Numbersj -- I love that goldenwave granite too!

It is so funny that you say the cabinet in front of the sink is angled at 90-degrees; I just can't see that from the pictures. Do you find the angle juts into your belly? I guess you mentioned using the sink mostly for coffee and tea though, so perhaps standing for more long veggie-prep the angle could be more of a problem even if it doesn't really bother you.

Thank you, Boxer, for all the wonderful pictures.