SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fluffybutt

Tell me about One Kings Lane

fluffybutt
12 years ago

I wanted to look at their website and it seems you have to sign up before you can even look. What is your experience with this online store?

Comments (35)

• User
    12 years ago

I bought a book from them wo/any issues.

It's worth signing up at the site just to see the variety of items offered up daily and by whom.
    Prices can be good!
    Remember, items are only up for sale for 3 days and some days everything sells out within minutes after their email it arrives in your emailbox.

I referred a friend, she made a purchase and I rec'd a $25.00 credit.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I've found the site to be wonderful and have purchased several items. They were featured on one of the hgtv shows and highly recommended.

• Related Discussions

Can any one tell me about this plant?

Q

Comments (2)
    Photo is too tiny. You might try Photobucket.com for a free account. No sizing necessary, just copy and paste the HTML line in the message, then preview to see your picture. Do not use the links.
    ...See More

Can some one tell me about orange ajuga?

Q

Comments (8)
    I was a buyer for perennials and groundcovers for a large retail nursery for years - I have never heard of anything called "orange ajuga". There is no ajuga that blooms orange - blue, pinky-lavender or white - or some with bronze foliage, pehaps even a toffee-colored variegated form, but not orange. Or anything close to orange :-) Ajuga is NOT an "invasive weed". It is a very popular groundcover with a sometimes aggressively spreading habit depending on growing conditions - exactly what most folks look for in a groundcover:-) If you questions about the suitability of the plant in question, try growing it in a container for awhile to see how it performs. And if you can, post photos so we can figure out exactly what it is you have.
    ...See More

One Kings Lane

Q

Comments (2)
    I've received excellent customer service from all of the flash sales sites. However, I gave up ordering anything breakable like glass from OneKingsLane because items always arrived broken because of poor packing. They were wonderful about quickly refunding my money, but I got frustrated after it happened multiple times. They had some really cute green bowls and glasses the other day, but I resisted ordering them because of my past experience.
    ...See More

Please Tell me one thing you'd like to change about your washer

Q

Comments (12)
    One thing I would change: Get the delayed start timer to be more able to measure timeframes that are less than an hour. The one I have lets me choose hours. Apparently also less than an hour, but it's not very fine-grained there. The dial LOOKS like it takes delay start times of less than an hour, but it doesn't really do that. Sometimes I'm going out to do an errand, and I want it to start and finish before I get back. Instead, it hasn't even started yet when I come home, or it has barely started. Defeats the purpose. Counterproductive. The complete opposite of what I wanted. Frustrating. So, I've had to teach myself to turn the dial to the last click (also very coarse and not very finegrained). Even then it's not impressive. Why can't I have a delay of 10 minutes? Why can't it be easy to turn, and reliably set at ten minutes? OK, I realize that many will say "who cares" and "why do you need to delay start for ten minutes". This is the feature that I want, for my own reasons. It will determine my next purchase. If I move I'm selling with a wonderful FL washer already installed and in its place. HTH
    ...See More
  • andreadeg
    12 years ago

I just purchased my first item from them yesterday. The delivery pad does seem to be lengthy; my mirror will be delivered between FEb 3 and 8th. They do have some very interesting items for sale!

• User
    12 years ago

Overpriced and overhyped.

I have purchased a few things there for the same reason I shop at WalMart occasionally. Where else can you get a $3 spatula, a $199 island light, and a $79 kilim pillow all in the same place? There can be a lot of stuff centralized and easy for a single transaction. Some of it can even be decently priced, but you really have to watch that. Most of their "designer" stuff is way overpriced, and a lot of their kitchen items are merely the same price as you could find at Amazon or elsewhere.

It's the sense of urgency of the "limited sale time" and the idea of it being "curated" that hooks even people who know better. If you are someone who found themselves bidding $19 for a $4 drinking glass on Ebay because you got caught up in the bidding "fun", stay away from OKL.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I signed up and I agree, way too pricey. There wasn't anything I just had to have at that moment.

Plus I hated the constant email I got from them.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

One King's Lane can be a fun place to shop. You must do your research, though. As Live_wire_oak stated, you can often find the same item on Amazon for the same price and free shipping. Personally, I think OKL's shipping costs are too high and it does take a long time to get some items.

The designer-curated sales have the most unique items, but again, it's best if you have a feel for what similar items cost on eBay and in your local vintage and antique stores. Some of the designer-curated sales are very reasonably priced and some are significantly (ridiculously) over-priced.

I've also found that sometimes the best items are gone immediately when the site opens which suggests that there are some special members with early access to the sales.

You can opt-out from the Emails, so don't let that negative keep you from joining. Even if you never buy anything, it's fun to browse just to see what's in the marketplace.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

There's something fishy about it, IMHO.

I just bought (but haven't yet received, since they appear to use ponies for delivery) a couple of items I haven't been able to find anywhere else, and the price was fine.

However.

A day ago, I was looking at one of their "previews" which only show four or six items from an upcoming sale. While I was poking around, the sale went live. And half the merchandise was already "on hold."

Meaning, no one could have previewed it, since they weren't among the handful of preview items. And you couldn't possibly have decided to buy it so quickly, since I barely had time to scroll down the page and they were already gone.

I think it's hype designed to get you to overpay.

• lizziebethtx
    12 years ago

I agree with marcolo. There is something fishy about it for all the reasons she stated. I've experienced the same thing. Joss and Main is no different and nothing they sell is returnable. When I was first introduced to it, I bit and bought a really pretty aqua ceramic garden stool. And when I opened the box it was really dirty and had a flaw in the ceramic. luckily, I was able to clean it up but the flaw will always be there and it's wasn't returnable. I learned a lesson. I'm glad it only cost $69.00. I still peruse the sight and recently saw a rug I LOVED. I did a google search for the same rug and found it for $75 less from another source. So, I don't believe everyting they try to sell is truly a *deal.* I don't know how anyone sells furniture online...especially seating. How do you know it will be comfortable if you don't sit on it before you purchase it? I would never invest in furniture online...unless it was a coffee table or end table. And, even with that kind of purchase you are taking a risk. It might look great in a photo but until you see it and touch it, you really have no idea what you are buying. The one thing I like about Overstock is all the reviews. I've purchased a rug and a mirror on Overstock and was pleased. But, both items had tons of positive reviews and it made me feel confident of knowing what I was getting.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

• lizziebethtx
    12 years ago

One thing I've always wondered about Joss and Main is whether or not the curators of the sales get a kick back? A lot of the more noted bloggers often create the sales for J & M. And, I just wonder if it's for money OR just for the exposure to their blogs and decorating style.

• User
    12 years ago

stork -- from what I know, the bloggers get credits to purchase items..... for example, they will post a link to their "hand picked" sale.... anyone who signs up for the site and buys something (thru their link) earns the blogger credits. I don't know if they get additional kickbacks beyond that. One blogger mentioned this on her blog and also mentioned having bought most of the contents of her living room from credits earned.

I doubt I would ever buy anything from J&M or OKL. Typically, you can google the same item and find it at the exact same price elsewhere, but with a return policy that allows returns! These sites make sales because of some reasons ppl mentioned above; consumers can be tempted by "exclusive" access and exclusive items, by something being "on sale," and by something only being offered for a "limited time." All three tactics are Marketing 101.

Personally, I'd rather buy from a site that accepts returns, has consumer reviews listed and that I can think about for longer than a few days. :)

• bhavinsw
    10 years ago

I usually buy things online but frankly speaking never try to buy the furniture or any home decor from stores like One Kings Lane and Joss & Main.

One of my friend was telling that this kind of members only site gives huge discount but don't know how much they are taking for Shipping charges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joss and Main Furniture Reviews

This post was edited by bhavinsw on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 0:33

• deegw
    10 years ago

I've purchased a cute area rug from Joss and Main that was nice but the color was off so I relegated it to my laundry room. I also bought some luggage for my daughters after googling the items and seeing them at a higher prices on other websites. Occasionally I will put some casegoods in my cart but the shipping has been so astronomical that I don't purchase.

• tournant
    10 years ago

I'd had a photo of an African sea glass necklace in my files forever, always wanted one like it. A few weeks ago OKL had a set of three strands of similar beads on their site for $150. I did a Google image search of the photo and it popped up on a craft suppy page for .... $13.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

You have to be an informed shopper. Many times the items offered are available at other sites for the same price or less. Vintage items are usually overpriced. One Kings Lane used to have exorbitant shipping costs, but I've noticed that they've become more competitive with other flash sales sites. The customer service at all of the flash sales sites has been terrific.

As for furniture, I've only purchased a lamp and a set of nesting tables. I don't think either one came from OKL, probably Joss & Main, but I'm happy with both purchases and feel like they were well-priced...not hugely discounted, but at the lower end of the price range available when comparison shopping.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I can only use a lot of adjectives~pricey, expensive, overly hyped....There are other sites having similar/same items at lesser prices. Joss and Main is definitely one. Do a little more checking before making a purchase.

I've heard OKL gets a lot of things from here.....

Here is a link that might be useful: here...

• User
    10 years ago

I purchase regularly from OneKings Lane and Joss and Main and they've had great service, GiltGroupe, as well for some personal items.

Like any other shopping experience, one can't assume they always have the best price--there was an item offered a few weeks ago and I was tempted to buy it but found it 20% less on Amazon, but that's not different than comparison shopping anywhere.

I don't recall those sites claiming they had the lowest prices on anything. I don't buy anything I can't afford not to send back if it isn't quite right, and have gotten some very good buys on designer serving wear, linens, crystal, candles, lamps, and other items.

I've been quite pleased with the quality of the merchandise I've selected, the price, and the service.

• User
    10 years ago

20+ yrs ago I purchased this lamp from a Speigel's Outlet store--I think for $69.00 .
    Orig catalog price was $349.00

{{!gwi}}

From OKL Jan 2013... and it's for sale wo/silk shade.

{{!gwi}}

• cmlvngstn
    10 years ago

I was really enjoying ordering from One Kings Lane. The shipping was reasonable, around $5 and prices were good. Then suddenly they doubled the shipping with a gimmick that if you ordered again in 30 day, shipping was free. Not so. I went to order again within the 30 days and the shipping was not free as promised. I also noticed that their items have been slowly creeping up and up and up. I will not order from them again. (unnamed chain discount home store) carries similar item, less expensive with no shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: One King's Lane

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I agree that you must be an informed shopper. I look at, but would never buy, the vintage stuff they offer. Very high prices and no returns are deterrents to that. I have bought several small things for very good prices. I have gotten bedding from them-sheets from a company whose sheets I already buy and same for towels-at very good prices. I did not have to worry because I already was familiar with the products.

I also ordered something larger that did not come in the expected time frame. OKL not only cancelled my order, but gave me a $15 credit. Nice.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I like J&M better than OKL. I have had issues with an order at OKL and actually wished, in the long run, I had shopped around because it was less expensive elsewhere. I am kind of addicted now to seeing what they have that "I can't live without" and then comparison pricing. Gilt. I think they have cute things but my credit card is smoking after seeing all the EF at Nordstrom.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

FYI: Joss and Main is owned by Wayfair.

• falcon20001
    5 years ago

I recently purchased 3 side chairs from OKL with a stipulation that the sale would be final. Clearly, my understanding of final sale is different than that of OKL. Upon arrival of the 3 chairs I was immediately felled with dismay as the chairs which were advertised as a "set of 3" were in fact different sizes and heights but more importantly, they were in such poor condition that one can not sit in them (not even a small child's weight could be supported). These 3 side chairs are only useful as a work of art and are no longer functional. OKL, failed to state in the advertisement that the chairs were not functional. This to me is blatantly false advertising, lacks integrity to say nothing or poor customer service. OKL, never again, OKL, I will make sure every opportunity I have I will pass on my dissatisfaction publicly!

• PRO
  • B Taylor
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I ordered two chairs from One Kings Lane in July 2020 at a cost of about $3500. When the two chairs arrived in September 2020, each of them had a broken leg. I immediately reached out to the company and asked for them to pick up the broken chairs and just send me two new ones. It is now late October 2020. No one has ever called me about picking up the chairs, and their online rep is saying I will not get new chairs until December 2020. The service has been terrible. You also have to wonder why two chairs that cost $3500 would have such poor workmanship that both of them would arrive with such significant damage. It has been a stressful and extremely disappointing process. I would never order from them again. I just emailed them for approximately the 10th time to ask for a remedy, but I am to a point that I feel like I have been scammed.

• hemina
    3 years ago

@B Taylor-did you pay for the chairs on a credit card? You could try contacting your CC company and tell them that the goods are damaged and you’re not getting any response from the company. That might get their attention more quickly.

• B Taylor
    3 years ago

Hi. Thanks! American Express has been great. They have disputed the charge with OKL and are trying to help me. I’m not sure what happens next. However. grateful that Amex has been helpful when OKL has not been. 😉 I’m sorry that it took this challenge for me to realize OKL has tons of complaints against them at the Better Business Bureau—which I did not think to check before buying. I at least learned a lesson here I guess...albeit a bit painful. I just want to help others avoid what has happened to me. Thanks for your post!

• Jennifer B
    3 years ago

Terrible customer service. They delivered a bench to me that required a FedEx signature. They never contacted me to tell me in advance to coordinate the date.

• PRO
    Cindy Kraus Group
    3 years ago

Horrible experience. I will never buy from them again. Delivered a damaged bed that took 6 months to arrive and having to fight to get a refund or have the issue resolved.

• 12building34
    3 years ago

AWFUL. Bought 2 matching couches. Only one arrived (and late). Charged for 2 ($6,000) and wouldn't refund. Eventually had to get my credit card company involved for a refund (took months to resolve)...and they took forever to pick up the one unmatched couch. I would NEVER buy from them again.

• Don Franklin
    2 years ago

AVOID THEM. The worst experience with One Kings Lane.. They are drop shippers like most online stores, except unlike others, they take very little responsibility for issues... We ordered chairs from them which ended up being from Skyline Furniture.. The quality was no better than most imports and they did not even have a dust cover under seat to conceal the webbing and hardware... They were hyped up in their online description but in reality they appear to be overpriced promo quality goods at a high price. Not returnable. One chair is defective with an open exposed seam... Four emails, three phone calls and no substantive response from One Kings Lane... Now they are offering to send furniture repair service... It has been a month with no resolution. For contrast, we also ordered stools from Wayfair at same time, and one had a minor issue with fabric flaw... One call and Wayfair immediately ordered a replacement.. Quite a contrast with the crappy service from One Kings Lane.

• smulcahy820
    2 years ago

Terrible customer service experience. Major false advertising. Say they have 25% off

"sitewide" and don't list any exclusions. BUT, when you order something, it's excluded from sale without explanation. . Sent email twice to customer service and they said "sorry" in other words, too bad, some things are excluded but don't let you know which ones. They basically want you to just go away and won't stand by their "sitewide" sale. Don't shop here. They're not honest with their advertising.

• vdilsizian
    11 months ago

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM! I ordered a piece of furniture. Wishing two weeks and while waiting for delivery, THEY send me an email stating the piece is now 25% off. After calling their rude customer service twice, they refuse to honor THIER ADVERTISED PRICE and will not make a price adjustment. For comparison, this has happened to me before and I have never had an issue with OTHER companies. AVOID them and their poor business practices.

• tarrahorn
    12 days ago

I feel like another one of the “one kings fools”

I placed an order in February. Only received a partial order, 2 of 5 items. 10 weeks later I’m still waiting for the other 3 framed art prints. There was nothing complicated about this order, just 5 framed art reprints. I repeatedly reach out to customer service who can provide no information on the 3 missing items or indication of when they may ship. After 10 weeks of trying to be patient, I’ve given up and need to cancel my order for the 3 items that have never shipped. I am now being told they will NOT fully refund me for the cost of the items never shipped. That I now have to pay a 15% restock fee and shipping cost that they say total over $75.00! A restock fee and shipping for items they NEVER TOOK OUT OF STOCK OR SHIPPED!!! SERIOUSLY!!! I can see saying that for something I HAVE RECEIVED & now want to return, but NOT for something that after 10 weeks they can’t give any reason or indication of when unprovided items might be shipped. THIS PLACE IS DEFINATLY RUNNING A SCAM!!!

They offer products that they do not physically possess. Customer service is outsourced to non-english speaking reps who are clearly quoting from a pre-written script of vague lines and provide no details at all. I sincerely wish I'd read the reviews before ordering. Learned the hard way, but will now be pursuing a fraud charge through my bank as others here have also had to do. Will not be doing business with OKL again!!!