SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudhoney

Finally found a balance with progesterone cream

mudhoney
9 years ago

I wanted to post about my menopausal journey in the hopes that it might be helpful to others who are struggling with hot flashes, insomnia, mood swings, and all that lovely stuff. I know I spent hours searching this forum for help and answers!

I'm 52, and I think I've (finally) seen the last of my periods. The last several years have been hard, but the last two years the worst. My insomnia problems got very bad, and after a terrible experience with a new benzodiazephine, I tried several other drugs (Ambien, hydroxyzine, OTC stuff) with not very good results. I also was having a lot of hot flashes--very uncomfortable, and not helping with the sleep. My mood was all over the place (with a tendency to depression). I tried progesterone cream, which helped with the hot flashes, but seemed to make the insomnia worse.

After LOTS of trial and error, I think I've finally worked out a solution. I use a very small amount (just a dab) of an OTC cream (20 mg. progesterone per 1/4 tsp strength). It's pretty hard to believe my body is that sensitive, but it clearly is. The important thing for me is that I use it in the morning--if I apply it at night, it seems to keep me from sleeping! (Got that hint from a book on insomnia). On a regular schedule of that, I'm sleeping better than I have in years, really as far back as I can remember. You can't put a price on how wonderful it is to get a full night's sleep, even sleep through the whole night! I do use a sleeping pill (flurazepam) in a pinch, though trying to keep the dosage low and use to an absolute minimum. Benzos can be very tricky. Sometimes Ibuprofen, oddly enough, can be enough to get me to sleep.

I have zero hot flashes now. Had a few (5 per day?) when it was quite hot out. And depression and mood swings (getting maaaad at times) have really smoothed out. I would say that my mood has been consistently good for far longer than I can remember. The one drawback is that my boobs feel rather swollen most of the time, sometimes rather uncomfortably so. I was under the impression they would start shrinking!

So I would encourage anyone who is struggling with those problems to give progesterone cream a try, using low doses to start with. Every body is different, you need to really listen to yours to find a solution. Don't live in misery, keep searching for an answer.

Comment (1)

Sponsored