SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Shall we Revisit 'Twisty Bulbs'?

azzalea
11 years ago

We bought our new house 4 years ago. About 3 years ago, we replaced the bathroom light fixture. It takes 8 globe-shaped bulbs. We put 'twisty' bulbs in it. Name brand bulbs that were touted to last 7 years.

Today the SECOND one burned out. At the price of those bulbs, I'm pretty sure we'd be coming out ahead using incandescents, even considering the cost of power.

And we've had worse problems with LED ones--several of those have lasted only 20-50 HOURS before burning out! (DH was talking to one of the engineers at the utility company where he worked and HE said he'd had the same problem with LED's). The ones that do last longer, seem to continually get dimmer and dimmer until they, too, burn out. Haven't had any LED's last longer than a year.

I'm not seeing the promises we've been given being fulfilled by these 'energy saving' bulbs--they may be saving a little power during use, BUT if they burn out faster than incandescents and cost many times more--they're not a savings in the longrun. I had incandescent bulbs in my old house that were literally 10-15 years old, and still going strong, in areas where they WERE used a lot.

I know we've done this before, I'm just so annoyed. Added to the general annoyance, was the fact that DH bought a bulb this morning at the store that had a sign on the shelf, $10 off--and discovered they hadn't taken the discount after we got home--so he had to make a second trip to the store to get that sorted. We are planning on complaining to the bulb manufacturer about the ones that are burning out prematurely--sure it won't do any good. I don't expect a refund or replacement, but I WOULD like to see them stop advertising that they're 7 year bulbs.

So add your updates on your experiences with lightbulbs--either energy saving or incandescent.

Comments (27)