SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtrshop

Looking for an old recipe

gtrshop
15 years ago

I'm not sure if I should be posting this on the cooking forum ro the geneology forum....

My Holy Grail...

At Christmas, when we were kids, my Grandmother would make a side dish - a repalcement for rice or potato in a meal - that she referred to as Opekanza. I have no idea if that is the correct spelling or not, that's how it sounds. She passed away many years ago and the recipe went with her.

What it was, to the best of my knowledge (and vague recolection from childhood), was some sort of dough rolled into a long rope and cut into chunks of various sizes, but not usually ove 1/2" in size. Somehow they ended up slightly browned, and I can remember them being fished out of water, at least I think I remember that. I know the browning and boiling are contradictory, but that is how it looked. It was served on the plate stirred in amongst cottage cheese and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. I recall the cottage cheese because this was the only time I'd ever ate the stuff.

I have tried many times over the years to locate a recipe for this, and never had any luck. I have been told that the word "Opekanza" means "baked" or refers to the process of baking. That might be true, but knowing the meaning hasn't brought me any closer to finding a recipe. Perhaps the baking process is a clue to the recipe.

I've mostly concentrated on Slovak literature and sites, as she was Slovak. My wife has taken it further to include Ukraine and Polish sources, as that is also 1/2 of my family background. Still no luck on the recipe. Recently my wife discovered that my grandmother's maiden name may indicate French background from around the 1600's. I doubt that my grandmother had any knowledge of her ancestors or if infact there was any valitdity to the "French Connection".

Once again I am trying to locate this Opekanza recipe. There was no filling to the dough, it was just dough. Not boiled in a soup, just plain water as far as I remember. It also wasn't sweet, it was salty.

Hopefully someone will recognize the description of the dish and pass along a recipe or a palce to find additional information. I'd love to include it in my family's Christmas meal again.

Thanks for the read

Steve,

Huntsville, ONT

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz