SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Question re finishes in master bedroom

mahatmacat1
16 years ago

Hi all,

I would love advice on choice of finishes for some built-in closets in our almost-finished-remodeling master bedroom. The dimensions are about 13x20, we have our bed up at the north end of the 20, and the closets will be down at the south end. We'll have the entire south wall closets, and then a second bank of 66" of freestanding closets, 76" tall, 4 feet up from it. (It will be anchored extremely safely several ways, so don't worry :)) We've done the measurements and we have plenty of room for all of them. It will be a pseudo-walk-in-closet situation, with ample room on both sides for walkways and room for light to transmit up on top (it will be amply lit itself, too).

The walls are EK Pumice, and our headboard, rather prominent, is a walnut color fabric. The floor is a golden bamboo.

My question: finishes for the wall of closet doors, and for the back and sides of the other closet unit. Our choices are walnut veneer or paint to match the walls (in a trim semi-gloss).

Part of me sometimes wants to do the whole south wall *and* the back of the facing freestanding unit in walnut veneer. We have the materials for it (some nice walnut veneer plywood in the garage). I've always loved the wall-o-wood look in modern design.

The other part of me says that in this particular situation, the wall-o-wood would weight down that part of the room too much (we have the walnut-colored headboard and night tables up north, but the walls are Pumice and I may even put some gleaming vintage ivory grasscloth I bought at an estate sale up behind the bed, if I get bold enough :)). So the alternative would be to *paint* the south wall of closet doors so that they fade into the wall, as it were, and then put walnut around the freestanding unit. Oddly enough, it wouldn't cost much less than having the doors made, since we have to buy the doors anyway and then paint them (ourselves).

That way would create a contiguous Pumice around the room, with walnut inside it. I'm thinking it would visually enlarge the room...am I wrong? Would it enlarge it to have the veneer on the back wall? (as for a third alternative I've already dismissed: I'm thinking that painting the free-standing unit and doing walnut on the back wall would visually *shorten* the room, not to mention put mere paint on something rather prominent when we could use the opportunity to make a really nice room-divider statement...

So I guess I'm asking, which would you vote for: painting the south wall of closets and putting walnut on the freestanding unit? Or putting walnut on everything, the south wall and the freestanding?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Comments (2)