SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
passport4vicki

Brunch Menu?

Vicki Pidgeon
16 years ago

What would you put together for a brunch menu? Party is a baby shower, from 11-2, probably about 25 ladies. I would like suggestions for things I can make ahead of time. I tend to make too much food and get overwhelmed. Would most likely serve buffet style.

I was thinking of starting with some basics like fruit salad, veggie platter and a breakfast casserole (the one where you put make the night before and bake in morning). I want a couple of "special dishes" but not sure what.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Comments (17)

• obxgina
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Vicki, I made this for the 4th for brunch, it was easy and a huge hit. It looks pretty too. You can make the crust a head of time and just refrigerate:
    Ham and Tomato Pie
    Ingredients
    1 (8-oz.) package diced cooked ham
    1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 4 onions)
    1 (9-inch) frozen unbaked pie shell
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    2 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
    1 large egg
    1/3 cup half-and-half
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    Garnishes: fresh basil sprigs, tomato slices
    Preparation
    1. Sautham and green onions in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until ham is brown and any liquid evaporates.
    2. Brush bottom of pie shell evenly with mustard; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Spoon ham mixture evenly over cheese, and top with single layer of sliced tomatoes.
    3. Beat egg and half-and-half with a fork until blended; pour over tomatoes. Sprinkle evenly with basil, pepper, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
    4. Bake on lowest oven rack at 425° for 20 to 23 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve; garnish, if desired.
    Yield
    Makes 4 to 6 servings
    Also, I have several make a head (the night before french toasts if you are interested. Here is one that my SIL makes for Christmas morning:

The Widow McCrea's Frenchtown Toast
    Topping
    1 lb strawberries and 3T Grand Marnier. Mix Grand Marnier and strawberries in a bowl and refrigerate overnight. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.
    Whisk the following ingredients into a batter:
    1 quart eggnog
    3Tcinnamon
    1 t cloves
    1t nutmeg
    2 t Frangelica
    Soak thick slices of challah bread in the mixture.
    Sear both sides of the bread in a non-stick pan, treated with cooking spray. Place slices on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for ten minutes. Serve with strawberries and maple syrup.
    You may like to have a Torta and serve with veggies, crackers and cocktail breads:

Torta

Vegetable spray
    4 pieces sun-dried tomatoes
    4 leaves fresh basil
    3 tubs, 6 ounces each, soft garlic and herb cheese (recommended: Alouette brand)
    1/4 cup sun-dried tomato tapenade
    1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
    1 baguette or whole grain baguette, pre-sliced at the bread counter
    Handful baby carrots
    Handful grape tomatoes
    Line a small shallow dish or bowl with plastic wrap or waxed paper. Coat wrap with vegetable spray. Arrange a pattern in bottom of the dish using the sun-dried tomatoes and basil. Add 1 1/2 tubs of garlic and herb cheese (about half a pound) to the dish and smooth over, then layer in the sun-dried tomato spread and the pesto. Spread the remaining cheese on top of the pesto. Place a serving plate over the bowl and invert the bowl. Hold on to the edges of the waxed paper or wrap to release the cheese. Remove the waxed paper or plastic wrap. Arrange the sliced baguette along 1 side of the torta.
    Arrange veggies, crackers and breads around torta.

• rjinga
    16 years ago

for a quick and easy (and can be made ahead) sweet treat...what about crepes with various fruit and/or custard type toppings? maybe something like: straw berries, raspberries, bananas, chocolate pudding, chocolate shavings, whip cream, served buffet style, make your own.

• Related Discussions

Please help with brunch menu

Q

Comments (11)
    I think you are fine with the muffins/danish as a sweet offering, so no I don't think you need a dessert. Also, your menu sounds delish! If you wanted another marinated veg type thing, I make the following a lot and it is well received..... Marinated Antipasto 3 large carrots, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices 2 large handfuls fresh green beans 2 cups broccoli florets 2 red bell peppers, roasted and cut into strips (jar is fine) 2 yellow bell peppers, roasted and cut into strips a 12-ounce jar peperoncini drained well 3/4 pound black or green brine-cured olives or a combination 3/4 pound marinated or plain bocconcini (small mozzarella balls, available at specialty foods shops and some supermarkets) 1/2 pound pepperoni or soppressata (hard Italian sausage, available at Italian markets, some butcher shops, and, some specialty foods shops), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices and the slices quartered two 7-ounce jars marinated artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained well 2 cans Hearts of Palm 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves plus, if desired, parsley sprigs for garnish Vinaigrette Dressing  about 2 cups, use your favorite recipe In a large saucepan of boiling water blanch the carrots for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they are crisp-tender, drain them, and plunge them into a bowl of ice and cold water. Repeat for the Green Beans and Broccoli. Let the vegetables cool and drain them well. In a large bowl toss together the carrots, Green Beans, Broccoli, the roasted peppers, the peperoncini, the olives, the bocconcini, the pepperoni, the artichoke hearts, the Hearts of Palm, Vinaigrette dressing, the minced parsley until the antipasto is combined well and chill the antipasto, covered, for at least 4 hours or overnight. Transfer the antipasto to a platter, garnish it with the parsley sprigs, and serve it at room temperature.
    ...See More

Easy brunch menu for 100+?

Q

Comments (22)
    Wow! Thanks again for all of your input. It is helping a lot. I really like Woodie's egg and potato casserole. If I do that, can I eliminate the potato salad? (As a little aside, I think I should add that I don't eat eggs. I hate them! However, I do accept that others enjoy them, they are easy to prepare, and are cheap. So, they really are great for entertaining. However, I do have a hard time envisioning them as part of a menu.) I think I will leave the veg dish up to DH. He claims he can do it, and his cousin (whose wife wore the fur coat in May) will be staying with us, and he is such a gem - will be a huge help, too. I can see the two of them outside, chopping vegetables and hanging out by the grill, and laughing it up! Or, maybe he wants to make life a little easier and make one of the marinated dishes posted here (they both sound yummy). As for his foot - he should be in a walking cast by that point. If he doesn't feel up to it, well... screw it. I'll call the market. I'm not going to get all stressed about it. Bread, bread, bread, everyone mentions bread. I thought I had too many starches as it is. Along with mini-rolls for the ham, should I pick up some bagels, too? At first I thought no, but now I think it might be a good idea, especially to fill up the kids. What do you guys say about the granola trifle? Keep it or cut it? I must admit that this brunch is something I kind of fell into. The cousin is getting married, and we are all thrilled. She is a terrific girl who had waited a long time for Mr. Right (she is 34). Anyway, she mentioned her mom was planning an after-wedding brunch, and DH and I offered for her to host it here. The aunt has a small house and yard, and we have a great place for entertaining, so it made sense. Then, SIL and I were discussing a shower for the cousin, and it would probably be at my house. Well, I realized that since I'm going to be getting the house ready for the brunch already, why don't we just do the brunch instead of the shower? It would be loads easier on the aunt this way. Sooo, I offered the brunch. At first the bride hesitated to accept our offer because they were planning on such a large guest list. I must admit that 120 invites was more than I was expecting. However, what could I say? "Forget it, that is too many people. Your mom can do it after all!"? So I assured her it was fine, and that is how I ended up looking like such a brave woman. I am very happy to do it, I love DH's family and they have always been wonderful to me. I just wish that I had an extra half day and a little healthier budget! But hey! I've got the CF, and that is going to help a lot! Thanks again, Nicole
    ...See More

Brunch Menu Thoughts

Q

Comments (8)
    Sounds lovely....know what you mean about energy issues. I had internet friends I had never seen come for lunch the day of my last radiation treatment...talk about energy issues....I had to spend a little over an hour the morning of going to the radiation clinic!! I would make the banana bread and freeze it and thaw the night before.....and I think you need a simple bread or roll too....maybe just a plain corn muffin. Make the mini ones so people can have some of each. And make the pie crust the day before....or 2 days before.....and roll out and bake the quiche/pie the day of. Have your bacon cooked and crumbled and your spinach thawed and chopped and drained. I don't know what fruit you are using but if it's the usual watermelon, cantalope berries grape blend, I would try to cut that up morning of...it will be better. How about mimosa's? Everything seems more fun when there is something bubbley in the mix. Linda C
    ...See More

Help me plan a bridal shower brunch menu

Q

Comments (12)
    If you have a green salad, I'd suggest Cathy/Mustangs Fig and Proscuitto salad. She uses arugula, but I use spinach because it's more easily available here. I don't even like salad, usually, but I just love this stuff and it would go nicely with quiche. Mustangs' Salad with Proscuitto, Parmesan and Figs 4 tbls olive oil 2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto cut into strips 1 tbls raspberry jam 3 tbls fig balsamic vinegar 1/3 cup dried figs, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces 1 tbls finely chopped shallots 5 cups baby spinach (she uses arugula, I think) 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted 2 oz Parmesan, shaved into thin strips 1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 10 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat; add prosciutto and fry until crisp, stirring frequently for about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel to drain and cool. 2. Whisk jam and vinegar in medium microwave-safe bowl; stir in figs. Cover with plastic wrap, cut several steam vents in plastic and microwave on high until figs are plump, about 45 seconds. Whisk in 3 tablespoons oil, shallots, ? tsp salt; toss to combine. Let cool to room temperature. 3. Toss arugula and vinaigrette in large bowl; adjust seasonings with salt. Divide salad among individual plats; top with portion of prosciutto, walnuts, and Parmesan. I don't usually plate it individually, I put it all in a large bowl and let guests serve themselves. Annie
    ...See More
  • Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

I suggest making Mini Quiche served with fruit.

Further suggest going to Sam's and buying the Mini Quiche heat and serve. Absolutely no fuss.

After cleaning for guests, I'm usually to exhausted to cook. So I often have to cheat or bake ahead.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

Sticky Buns, bacon wrapped something(shrimp, asparagus, dates, scallops, pineapple), crab dip, chocolate covered strawberries, corn fritters, just to throw some more ideas out there.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Here are a few winners from my brunches in the past..... Good luck and tell us what you make!

Alexa

French Toast Kabobs
    8 large eggs, lightly beaten
    2/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
    pinch of salt
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 one-pound loaf unsliced dense white bread (such as pullman), crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/2 pint fresh blueberries
    1/2 pint fresh raspberries
    2 bananas, sliced
    Maple syrup (optional)
    Preheat oven to 250°. Place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven to warm. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, salt, and vanilla. Stir in bread.
    In a large saute pan set over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Place half of the bread mixture in pan; cook, turning occasionally with a spatula, until browned on all sides. To keep warm, transfer to
    the oven. Cook remaining bread in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter as before.
    Thread bread cubes onto skewers alternating with blueberries, raspberries, and banana slices. Serve immediately with maple syrup, if desired.
    HASH BROWN BRUNCH CASSEROLE
    1 2-pound package frozen hash brown potatoes, unthawed
    1 10 3/4-ounce can cream of celery soup, undiluted
    3 cups (packed) grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1 6-ounce can french fried onions
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Transfer to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Bake until top is slightly golden, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Sprinkle with onions. Bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
    Serves 12.

Bon Appétit
    November 1995
    Idelle Levey
    Since you are serving 25 - you might want 2 casseroles

Overnite Blueberry French Toast

Servings: 9

Ingredients:
    12 slices day-old bread
    2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    12 eggs
    2 cups milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    1 cup white sugar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 cup water
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    1 tablespoon butter

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
    2. Cut bread into 1 inch cubes, place half into prepared baking dish. Cut cream cheese into 1 inch cubes and place over bread. Top with blueberries and remaining bread cubes.
    3. Beat eggs in large bowl; add milk, vanilla and syrup or honey. Mix well; pour over bread cubes. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Next morning remove from the refrigerator 1/2 hour before baking.
    4. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set and is golden in color.
    5. Prepare the sauce in a saucepan by combining the sugar and cornstarch. Add water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir constantly and boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in blueberries and reduce heat; cook for 10 minutes or until blueberries pop. Stir in the butter and pour over the French Toast.

Dirt Bombs
    Yields: 12 muffins*
    3 cups AP flour, minus 3 tablespoons
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
    ¼ teaspoon ground cardamon
    ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 cup whole milk **
    Topping ***
    ¾ cups unsalted butter, melted
    ½ cup granulated sugar
    1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
    Preheat oven to 400º F. Place the rack in the center position. Generously grease a 12-cup standard muffin pan.
    Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cardamon into a mixing bowl. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl down half way through. Mix in the eggs. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk in two additions, mixing gently by hand to incorporate all the flour. The batter will be on the stiff side, but airy. Dont over mix or beat the batter as this will make the muffins tough. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, without smoothing the tops. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. As soon as the muffins are cool enough to handle, turn them out onto a wire rack.
    Add the melted butter to a bowl. In another bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon.
    Dip the muffins (top, sides and bottom) in the butter, using a pastry brush -if necessary- to cover areas not buttered by dipping. Immediately roll the muffins in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    *I've made this twice, and both times, this recipe has yielded 16 muffins instead of 12.
    **I substituted whole buttermilk for whole milk because I always have it on hand and prefer it for baking.
    *** The amounts listed for the sugar and cinnamon are not quite enough to coat all the muffins, so I recommend you double it.
    Sol

Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

From Diane on the CF

2 1/2 C. Flour
    3/4 + 1/2 C. Sugar
    3/4 C. Butter
    1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon Salt
    3/4 C. Sour cream
    1 + 2 Eggs
    1 teaspoon Almond extract
    8 oz. Cream cheese (room temperature)
    3/4 C. Seedless raspberry preserves
    Grease and flour (or spray with Pam) bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring-form pan.
    Combine flour and ¾ cup sugar.
    Cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs.
    Reserve 1 cup of crumbs and set aside for topping.
    To crumb mixture in bowl, add baking powder, soda, salt, sour cream, 1 egg, and almond extract - blending well. Will be thick and lumpy.
    Spread batter in prepared pan.
    For *filling, combine cream cheese, ½ C. sugar, and 2 eggs and pour over batter in pan.
    Gently spoon preserves over cheese filling.
    Sprinkle reserved cup of crumb over all.
    Bake at 350° for 70 - 80 minutes, or until cheese filling is set and cake is golden.
    Cool at least 15 minutes before removing sides of pan. Serve warm or cool.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Oh great Alexa, I'm glad you posted that cream cheese coffee cake. I was going to suggest that. I remember when you posted that picture, or at least someone posted the picture. What a show stopper! Come to think of it, I should make this for when my parents visit next week. I FINALLY found my springform pan.

My mom made cheese blintzes and crepes once at a bruch we had on New Year's. They were spectacular, but what a pain! My folks almost got divorced over that party! I guess now you can buy crepes and blintes premade. If I could afford it I would do that! I think it is much more important to serve simple food and enjoy your guests. At least this is fast becoming my entertaining strategy. My house is a row house and I have found that unless I make everything in advance, it really breaks up the party for me to have to disappear into the kitchen to fuss with food. I don't have a hubby to keep people entertained while I'm away.

A lavish spread is impressive, but I think folks are just as happy if not happier with a few simple things done really well. You can appreciate each dish that way. Too many dishes and it just become a jumble in people's minds. I have often been guilty of overdoing it, but I'm trying to reform. I just love to cook so much I don't know when to stop!

• arlocat
    16 years ago

Caliloo already beat me to a blueberry recipe but this was a hit at our last brunch, especially with the women. I also made one of the standard egg casseroles. I agree that 2 casseroles might be best.

Overnight Blueberry-Pecan French Toast

Ingredients:
    nonstick spray
    1 baguette, cut into 20 1-inch slices
    6 eggs
    3 cups milk
    1 cup brown sugar
    vanilla to taste
    nutmeg to taste
    1 cup pecans, toasted
    2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preparation:
    Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and arrange the baguette slices in a single layer in the dish. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, three-fourths of the brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread. Cover and chill the mixture overnight. There will appear to be a lot of moisture when the mixture goes into the refrigerator, but it will all soak into the bread.
    Just before baking, sprinkle the remaining one-quarter cup brown sugar, pecans and blueberries over the bread. Bake the dish in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbling.

Serve with maple syrup. For an added treat, heat the syrup with blueberries and have blueberry-flavored maple syrup.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Hey lpink -

is this the photo you were thinking of?
    {{gwi:1547039}}

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

I'm all in favor of make-ahead-keep-it-simple entertaining. You didn't say if the guests would be sitting down at tables or sitting/standing everywhere. IMO that makes a big difference in what I would want to serve them.

If the guests are seated at tables, a couple of kinds of quiche would be nice, maybe a sausage quiche or chicken and a vegetable quiche. Fruit kabobs look very pretty, and a salad, either green tossed or tomato/cucumber w/ fresh basil. You could do pick-up mini desserts on platters for each table to share or you could do a special dessert like a rich, decadent chocolate cake that would be served on individual plates. You could offer some simple cookies as another choice not rich or chocolate - but most of the women will go for the chocolate!

If the guests are sitting around on various sofas or chairs, I would serve the mini quiche and fruit salad served from a big bowl. You could offer some tea sandwiches (egg salad, chicken salad, pimiento cheese, etc.) and a green salad or marinated vegetable salad for something green, cool, and crunchy. Several varieties of small pick-up desserts would be easier when everyone is sitting all over, but not at tables.

A special fruit punch or tea (like peach tea) would be different or you could upscale and do Peach Sangria, which is very light and refreshing.

Keep it simple and not so much food and you will enjoy the party more.

Teresa

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Hee are a few I have made for brunches in the past. Always big hits...

SALMON QUICHE WITH WALNUT CRUMB CRUST
    from SharonCb

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Pastry:

Easy - doesn't require rolling, just press down with fingers and back of a spoon into a 24 cm (9.5 inch) pyrex flan dish or pie plate.

1 - 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped

Mix these ingredients in a bowl, cutting in butter with two knives until crumbly then press into a pie dish, including up the sides. Bake in pre-heated oven for five minutes. Then remove from oven.

Meanwhile mix the following ingredients in a bowl:

Filling:
    3 eggs beat till frothy
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
    1/2 onion, chopped

1 can salmon (7 3/4 ounces) - I prefer fresh piece salmon that has been baked - 'smoked salmon' is really good too.
    1/4 cup mayonnaise

Pour these ingredients into the pie crust - bake in oven approximately 45 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. The top is usually a nice golden brown colour. If you don't have salmon on hand, tinned tuna works well too in this recipe.

Bread And Butter Pudding With Caramel Sauce Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table \=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\= 5 or 6 slices of bread 1/2 cup butter 1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar 5 eggs 2 cups cream (Or milk) vanilla pinch of salt Caramel Sauce 1 cup butter 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup cream pinch of salt 2 teaspoons vanilla NOTE: If you prefer the pudding to have more custard, then use less bread so that all of the custard is not absorbed into the bread when baked. Cut crusts from bread and spread each slice with butter. (Bread slices can be left whole, or cut into halves, quarters or cubes. Place bread butterd side up in a oven proof dish. (may use any shape dish, or glass loaf pan, cutting bread to fit) Beat the sugar and eggs together and then add the cream, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread and allow the bread to absorb. (make be refrigerated at this point and baked later) sprinkle with some white sugar and place dish into a pan of hot water and bake in a 350 oven for 45 to 1 hour, or until pudding is set and golden. To make caramel sauce, bring butter, sugars, cream and salt to a boil and then simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.

This is delish and very colorful, too!

Fruit Pizza

Crust:
    1-1/2c flour
    1/4c sugar
    1/4c butter
    1/4c cooking oil
    3T cold water

Mix and press into 11 inch circle on pizza pan. Bake 12-14 minutes at 375F

Sauce:
    6oz cream cheese
    1/4c sugar
    1/2tsp vanilla

Beat until smooth and spread on crust

Strawberries, Kiwi, Grapes, Peaches, Pineapple, Blueberries, Raspberries, etc.Arrange your choice of fruits on top of sauce.

Glaze:
    1T cornstarch
    1T water
    1/4c fruit juice (any)
    3T powdered sugar

Whisk all ingredients together in small saucepan, bring to boil stirring constantly. Spread over fruit, chill well. Cut in wedges or squares to serve.

Linda
  • Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Jam and Bread Pudding

One 1-pound loaf challah bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
    3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons strawberry jam or preserves
    4 large eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon whole milk or half-and-half
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat the oven to 375� degrees F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Arrange half of the challah in the dish; tear the slices to fit. Spread 3/4 cup of the jam on top; cover with the remaining challah.

Whisk the eggs, sugar, 2 1/2 cups of the milk and the vanilla and pour over the challah; press to soak and brush with 4 tablespoons of the butter. Cover with foil and bake for 24 minutes, removing the foil halfway through, until the pudding is set; remove from the oven.

Preheat the broiler. Blend the remaining 1 tablespoon of milk with the confectioners' sugar. Add the remaining butter and jam and stir until the glaze is smooth. Spread all but 1/4 cup of the glaze over the pudding and broil until the glaze is golden. Drizzle the bread pudding with the remaining glaze and serve.
    Bread pudding picture on Food and Wine

Mine came out with very "jammy" but it was so good!
    {{gwi:1548013}}

• woodie
    16 years ago

I'm a big casserole fan for weekend overnight company or brunch - that way nobody has to get up too early - but especially for a shower like this where you'll be very busy just in general and want as much done in advance as possible. I would serve 2 main dishes - one sweet and one savory - and whatever extras you like - your plan of fruit salad and veggie platter sounds perfect to me. Will there be a cake or do you have to decide on a dessert? I love brunch recipes and I also have a couple of nice egg dishes that require minimal last minute attention and I'll post them too, just for your info or for another occasion! Phew - who knew I had so many brunch recipes in my files!

I recently made this delicious granola - and a great big bowl on a buffet next to some of that delicious Greek yogurt would be different and nice, I think. I'm sorry to say that I don't know where I got this recipe - FearlessEm maybe???

MAPLE APRICOT GRANOLA
    Gourmet, February 2003

Active time: 20 min
    Start to finish: 1 hr
    serving size Makes about 10 cups.

1/4 cup flaxseeds (1 1/4 oz)
    6 cups old-fashioned oats (18 oz)
    2 cups sliced almonds (8 oz)
    1 cup hulled (green) pumpkin seeds (not roasted; 5 oz)
    1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds (not roasted; 2 1/2 oz)
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup pure maple syrup
    1/3 cup crystallized ginger (2 1/2 oz; optional), finely chopped
    2 cups dried apricots (11 oz), finely chopped

Accompaniments: plain yogurt or milk; honey or maple syrup
    Special equipment: an electric coffee/spice grinder
    preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Finely grind flaxseeds in coffee/spice grinder, then stir together with oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, salt, oil, and syrup in a large bowl.
    Spread mixture evenly in 2 large shallow baking pans (1 inch deep) and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, stirring and switching position of pans halfway through baking, until golden brown, about 30 minutes total.
    Cool granola completely in pans on racks, then stir in ginger (if using) and apricots.

Granola can be made 1 week ahead and kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature, or frozen 1 month. (Woodie's note - I omitted flaxseeds)

BAKED OMELET
    Whip a dozen eggs with 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup cottage cheese & 2 Tbsp minced onion.
    Spray/oil 9x13 dish & cover bottom with 1 cup salsa.
    Sprinkle over that 2 cups shredded mozz. cheese & 2 cups shredded cheddar mixed together.
    Pour egg mixture over that & bake at 350° til done.
    The recipe didn't call for it, but I mixed in some cooked, crumbled bacon with the eggs. It was yummy! Think I'll try sausage next time.

CRÈME BRULEE FRENCH TOAST
    (Courtesy of Arthur Schwartz, WOR Radio)

1 Stick Butter
    1 Cup Brown Sugar
    2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup

8-10 inch round country loaf, or
    1 pound French bread or
    1 Challah

5 eggs
    1 1/2 cups half and half
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
    1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Melt butter, sugar and corn syrup in saucepan over moderate heat. Pour into 9 X 13 pan.

2. Slice bread into 6 slices and place on top of the sauce in the 9 X 13 pan, press together to fit.

3. Whisk together eggs, half and half, Vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt. Pour over bread.

4. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes, until puffy and brown.

OVERNIGHT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

2 lbs. package frozen Hash Brown potatoes, thawed
    1/4-1/2 cup chopped onions
    1 lb. cooked, crumbled sausage (breakfast or Italian style - I use Italian) or cooked bacon or ham
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    8 -10 eggs
    3 cups milk
    S & P to taste

Spray 9 X 13 dish with cooking spray. Mix potatoes and onions, salt and pepper together and place in pan. Then spread sausage on top, then cheese. Beat eggs and milk (S & P) together and pour over other ingredients in pan, cover and set in refrigerator overnight.

Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour at 350*.

Posted by cookingrvc (My Page) on Sat, Jul 31, 04 at 15:33
    Inspired by some B&B recipes, I created this for our Wednesday morning 'grotto'. It was gone in a flash.
    HASH BROWN QUICHE
    -3 Cups (approx) loose-pack, frozen hash-brown potatoes, thawed (I used Oneida Southern Style)
    -1 small onion, diced
    -1/3 C butter, melted
    -1 cooked ham steak, diced
    8 oz. swiss cheese, grated
    8 oz muenster cheese, grated
    2 ¼ C Milk or cream
    6 Eggs
    Salt
    Preheat oven to 425°
    Mix together hash browns and onion.
    Press into 13 x 9 baking pan
    Drizzle with melted butter.
    Bake for 25 35 minutes, until starts to brown.
    Reduce oven temperature to 325°
    Toss together ham and cheeses and place in hot crust.
    Mix milk, eggs, and salt and pour into hot crust.
    Bake uncovered for 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
    Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
    Sue

CRUMB CAKE BY SUE
    (from Sue/Cookingrvc)

1. Make Crumb mixture
    2. Make Cake mix
    3. Bake cake half way
    4. Top with crumbs
    5. Bake rest of the way
    6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar

CRUMBS
    1 lb butter or margarine
    2 Tsps. Vanilla
    4 Cups Flour
    2 Tsps. Cinnamon
    1 Cup White Sugar

In a large pot on the stove, melt the butter and add the vanilla and then mix in the remainder of the ingredients. Spread out with a large spoon and/or a spatula on a cookie sheet to dry out a little. Then make the cake.

1 Box of yellow cake mix.
    Make according to recipe on the box.

Put the cake in a pan 11.5 inches by 17 inches.

Bake the cake half way through the baking time (according to the package directions - this will be about 15-20 minutes). Take the crumb mixture and, using a spatula, lift it off the cookie sheet in chunks and, using your hands, crumble it up into big crumbs and put the crumbs on the cake (this will be a little messy) and continue baking until the end of the baking time. Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack.

Wait until the cake is completely cooled and dust generously with powdered sugar. Lots of powdered sugar!

Posted by: sheshebop (My Page) on Thu, Oct 21, 04 at 9:55
    Want an awesome oven-cooked bacon hors deouvres? Cut your bacon into about 3 chunks per slice. Put your bacon in the oven, and press brown sugar into into it. when browned and nice looking, turn over and press more brown sugar into it. Watch second side close as it can burn. These make the most wonderful appetizers. I can practically eat a pound of them they are so good.

David, Lakeguy
    Here is another good one from Sarah Moulton's cooking live show. Wrap bread sticks with bacon, roll in chili powder and bake on rack until bacon is crisp. They didn't last long at my party.

Lori's Dream Fruit Dip
    12 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
    1 cup confectioners sugar, unsifted
    7 oz. jar marshmallow crème
    1 cup sour cream
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons almond extract (or coconut)
    1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 tablespoons cognac (optional) (or Grand Mariner)
    In small bowl, with electric mixer, cream the cheese until soft and smooth. Add the sugar and beat until well blended. Add the sour cream and the rest of the ingredients. Blend just until well-combined. Cover and chill several hours before serving.
    Scalloped Pineapple
    Posted by: DanaIN (My Page) on Sat, Oct 5, 02 at 13:34

½ cup melted butter
    4 cups fresh bread cubes
    3 eggs
    ½ cup brown sugar
    ½ cup white sugar
    ½ cup Milnot canned milk (evaporated)
    20 oz. crushed pineapple in juice; do not drain
    cinnamon

Combine bread and butter, set aside. Combine eggs, sugar and Milnot; beat with mixer. Add bread mixture and pineapple, stir well and pour into lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake uncovered at 350° for 1 hour or until set.

Posted by: cookingrvc (My Page) on Sun, Nov 7, 04 at 12:49
    Had a lot of eggs in the fridge, and a fair amount of cheese, so I put together a crustless quiche in a 13x9 pan.
    This one was good, I must say. They key is finding the perfect ratio of eggs to cream, which I think I've nailed.
    As long as there are 1 1/2 cups cream (I guess you can use milk, although I haven't used it straight yet) to 4 large eggs, it is foolproof...
    Measurements are approximate. I just make sure that the fillings substantially fill up the baking dish before the liquids are added.
    Can make ahead and refrigerate. Remove from fridge and let sit for 30 minutes before heating in 200° oven for 30 minutes.
    Large Quiche
    4 1/2 Cups cream
    12 Eggs
    Salt & Pepper
    1 lb bacon - crisp
    1/3 lb ham (I had sliced, but you can get the ham slabs and cut into cubes)
    1 large onion - chopped
    8 oz swiss - grated
    4 oz. goat cheese - crumbled
    5 oz. cheedar - shredded
    Preheat oven to 350°
    Mix eggs, cream, salt, and pepper - set aside
    Fill baking dish with fillings.
    Pour egg mixture over filling.
    Bake for 50 - 60 minutes, or until center is set.

• Vicki Pidgeon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW!

There are so many great recipes to choose from! Thank you!
    Teresa mentioned seating, and she is right, people will be doing the balancing act on couches and chairs, so I should make sure the selection will be easy to eat, nothing too messy and no cutting.

What do you think of this so far?

Hot: Ham and tomato pie
    Hot: Overnight quiche type dish
    Cold/Sweet: Raspbery cream cheese coffee cake
    Cold/Sweet: Fruit with Lori's dream fruit dip
    Cold/Sweet: Italian Cream Puffs* (requested by the mom)
    Cold: Veggie Pizza squares? or Veggie platter w/dip?
    Cold: Shrimp Cocktail with sauce
    Cold Drink: Punch with Lime sherbert (for frog/green theme color) (and bottled water)
    Hot Drink: Coffee and Tea, with reg and flavored cream
    Dessert: I believe the lady who made her wedding cake wants to bring a baby shower cake as her gift - at least I hope so - she makes delicious and beautiful cakes!

What am I missing? What changes would you make? Do I need something salty? Do I need meat, like a ham and some other cold cuts rolled up? Should I do some of the finger sandwiches mentioned? How about a relish tray - yes or no? How about a Cheese tray?

Here is recipe for the one thing the mother-to-be requested. It's an old family favorite but I don't make it often because I can not find the cookies around here. I emailed Stella Dora to find them in a store, but ended up ordering them online from amazon.

Itailian Cream Puffs
    2 pkgs Stella Dora "Anginetti" Cookies
    1 8oz Cream Cheese, softened
    1 8oz Cool Whip, thawed
    1 small can crushed Pineapple, drained well

Fold cream cheese and cool whip together. Add pineapple. Cut cookies in half. Put filling in between 2 halves. Refrigerate overnight.

Thanks so much!
    Vicki

• Vicki Pidgeon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Again,

I just came across another family favorite - what do you think of this to add as a meat dish? It's cold and salty-savory tasting. I could get some mini croissants to serve along with it.
    Vicki

Tossed Club Salad
    serves 5-6
    1/2 lb Bacon - cut into pieces, brown in frying pan. Drain grease except for 2 Tble of fat
    1 cup cubed Bread - brown in 2 Tble reserved bacon fat - turn often.
    3 cups Grilled Chicken (or pouched) - approx 4 large breasts
    2 cups of chopped tomatoes - peeled & wedged (2 med)

Dressing:
    3/4 cup Mayo
    1 Tble Worchester Sauce
    1 Tble Parsley
    1 Tble Capers
    1 Tble Minced Scallions
    1 teas Salt
    1 teas Pepper

Cook bacon, brown cubed bread. Mix up dressing well. Add bacon pieces, chicken pieces and chopped tomato (can also use cherry tomatoes) to dressing. Keep refigerated until served. Best made day before.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

This is so good and can be made the day before.

Baked Pecan French Toast

1 loaf Challah (or French) bread
    8 large eggs
    2 cups half & half
    2 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 stick cold butter
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup chopped pecans
    2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Maple syrup, optional

Slice bread into 3/4-inch slices and arrange in a generously buttered 9X13-inch baking dish in two overlapping rows. In a large bowl, beat eggs using a fork and add half & half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt; blend well. Dip each piece of bread into egg mixture for about 20 seconds and place back in the baking dish. After all slices have been soaked and replaced in dish, pour remaining egg mixture over all. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Prepare the topping by placing the butter, brown sugar, pecans, corn syrup and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a food processor and pulse just until mixture crumbles. (Or combine in a bowl using your hands.) Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle the topping over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. If desired serve with maple syrup.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Just my opinion, but I think you have too much food for this type of party.

Hot: Ham and tomato pie
    or
    Hot: Overnight quiche type dish

Cold/Sweet: Raspbery cream cheese coffee cake
    or
    Cold/Sweet: Italian Cream Puffs (requested by the mom)

Cold/Sweet: Fruit with Lori's dream fruit dip

Cold: Veggie Pizza squares (you already have fruit with a dip)

delete Cold: Shrimp Cocktail with sauce

Cold Drink: Punch with Lime sherbert (for frog/green theme color) (and bottled water)

Hot Drink: Coffee and Tea, with reg and flavored cream

Dessert: Baby Shower Cake

• User
    16 years ago

If you didn't change a thing on your menu it will be a wonderful spread.

I'm the queen of way too much so I offer my opinion with caution!

I would do both hot dishes. I think an option/choice is good.

Serve only two of the three cold/sweet dishes.

Replace the veggie squares with a veggie salad of some sort. Just a bit lighter. Should you choose to loose the fruit and dip then you could use the veggie and dip instead of a salad.

The shrimp just doesn't fit to me....I would omit it.

I would also consider a bread of some type, rolls, mini bagels, mini croissants, that type of thing.

.....let us know how it went.