SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericmartineau

Support for counter with 23' overhang

ericmartineau
14 years ago

My granite guy came to install our island top - during the installation, he informed me that he didn't feel comfortable with the amount of support. (Ya think??)

A picture's worth a thousand words.

There will be 5" legs supporting the extended corners of the countertop, where the granite flares out (shown in the picture). The granite is 2cm with two slabs of plywood underneath (3/4" each, I believe). The length of the top is about 110", and the total width is about 60". The cabinets are about 37" deep, which leaves a 23" overhang at the widest part.

The legs should help provide tip-over support, but I (obviously) need to support the rest, especially the center.

I have a good steel guy, and we're thinking about running some steel supports. I'm curious if you think supports could be built after the fact - if so, what material should used? We're thinking 1/4" x 3" flat iron attached to the cabinets, welded to 2" angle iron running underneath the cabinets. The part of the angle iron that runs vertically would probably be shaved down to 1/2" to 1" so it didn't protrude too far in either direction. We were thinking we would also need to reinforce at the angle (not sure about how much would be needed).

Do you think this would work? For 110" length, how many supports should be added? And how far from the edge of the counter top should the support run?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments (7)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County