SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Smokefest - need suggestions

caliloo
13 years ago

We've decided to host the first annual Smokefest this coming labor Day weekend, and I need some suggestion for methods, side dishes and logistics. There will be 10 - 12 adults and 8 - 10 kids. We have a trampoline, bacci, badminton, wiffle ball, frisbee and water guns for the kids to amuse themselves while we (I) play smokemaster along with the other grown-ups. I have a Brinkman Off Set Smoker that I plan to use for the actual smoking and a big gas grill with a side burner will be reserved to veggies and sides. This is what I have in mind so far, some of it I will make and there are a few things that guests will provide.

Meats, etc (on the smoker)

1. Duck

2. Pork Ribs

3. Salmon

4. Brisket

5. Venison Roast (one friend is providing this)

6. Chicken (big oven roaster, 7+ lbs)

Veggies (on the grill)

1. Carrots

2, Asparagus

3, Eggplant

4, Zucchini & Yellow Squash

5. Vidalias

Sides

1. Baked Beans (with the world famous Chili Sauce)

2. Spinach, Dried Cherry, Walnut, Blue Cheese Salad

3. Potato Salad

4. Quinoa Salad (there will be a few vegetarians coming too)

Misc

1. Crusty Bread from a bakery

Here is where I need suggestions, help and advice.

1. The only recipe I have seem for "smoked" venison roast requires 4 days of brining then wrapping it in bacon to smoke/roast it. Has anyone done this? Can you provide suggestions on success for smoking a super lean roast like this? Also, the recipe I was looking at does not give any idea how long to roast/smoke it, it just says leave it on until it hits 165F.

2. Would you suggest additional sides? I know some people will want to bring sides and if they are looking for suggestions I would love to be able to suggest and easy one.

3. Desserts. It will probably be hot and I know I can have a watermelon in the fridge along with other seasonal fruit, but what else would you serve for dessert that will not require lots of freezer/fridge space?

4. The meats. I know the salmon will be the shortest time n the smoker (45 min or so) and the brisket would be the longest. Do you think I could start the brisket in the oven and finish it on the smoker? That would be a LOT easier than having to fire up the smoker at 6 AM and tend it ALL DAY until people arrive at 3-ish. I would love to be able to start the fire around noon and have the coals, etc ready to smoke on by 12:30 or 1:00 and spend a few hours smoking rather than truly have it going all day. Suggestion? Time line?

Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Alexa

Comments (11)