SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Writing Our Life Stories: Assignment Four

alisande
13 years ago

Lois Daniel, in her book How to Write Your Own Life Story, suggests a chapter entitled "Where Were You on Important Days in History?"

I think it's a great idea because it jogs the memory rather nicely and creates a kind of time line all by itself. Not only "where were you?" but why were you there? What were you doing at the time?

Earthquakes and other natural disasters

The deaths of President Kennedy, Martin Luther King, and Bobby Kennedy

The shooting of President Reagan

D-Day

The end of WWII

The Vietnam War (a span of dates, but still significant)

The Challenger disaster

I'm sure you can think of many others. I started by writing about........

The Northeast Blackout of 1965 occurred on November 9, 1965, and affected New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Ontario, Canada. Over 30 million people and 80,000 square miles were without electricity for about 12 hours.

On that day I had been married two months. We were living in midtown Manhattan, on the top floor of the Gallery House at 77 West 55th Street. That evening we planned to entertain business associates of Joe's--a young couple visiting from Sardinia. Before Joe got home from work, the lights went out. I went next door to see if our neighbor had lost electricity, too. Our neighbor was Paul Desmond, the great alto saxophonist. His power was out, too. He received a phone call, and I went to look out his window. The city was dark for as far as I could see. When Paul hung up, I said, "The power's out all the way uptown." He replied, "The power's out all the way to Connecticut."

That evening, the Sardinian couple, Paul, and Joe and I had cocktails in our apartment by candlelight. The couple were big jazz fans, and asked Paul to play. He graciously declined. After a while we went downstairs to dine by more candlelight. The restaurant kitchens, with their gas stoves, were still producing food. I discovered that going downstairs wasn't as easy as it sounds. We lived on the 20th floor, and by the time we reached ground level my knees were shaky. But that was nothing compared to how it felt going back up.

That night the Sardinians went back to their hotel, but we had an overnight guest anyway--someone who worked with Joe couldn't get home to the suburbs so he stayed with us. Sometime in the early hours the power came back on. All in all it was a fun adventure. The only unpleasant fallout was the candle wax I somehow managed to spill down the front of my dress. It was my wedding dress--a two-piece white brocade outfit. The dry cleaner shook his head at the big yellow stain and suggested dyeing it black. He wasn't sure it would work, but he was willing to try. It did work, and I ended up with a black wedding dress. Oh, well......it wouldn't be long before I wouldn't be able to fit into it anyway. :-)

Comments (3)