SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliceinmd

Zucchini Bread help needed, please

aliceinmd
11 years ago

I am trying to duplicate a delicious zucchini bread which I was told was made with nutmeg and lemon. I tried using Paula Deen's recipe (copied below) as a starting point, because it has good reviews online. Instead of cinnamon, which dissolves and makes a brown bread, I used 2 teaspoons of nutmeg, which doesn't dissolve, allowing you to see the green zucchini shreds. I added one-half teaspoon pure lemon oil and two teaspoons of lemon zest. The recipe doesn't say to squeeze the grated zucchini, but I did do that.

The result was two apparently undercooked and rather flavorless loaves; the crusts are pleasantly chewy, but the inside is way too moist and oily. I baked them in Pyrex loaf dishes and did not reduce the oven temperature, having been told that is no longer necessary. The loaves tested done until they had cooled too much to put them back into the oven; the centers are now squishy instead of firm to the touch.

Do any of you experts have ideas for how to achieve the lemon-nutmeg loaf I am seeking? Thank you in advance for sharing your advice!

Zucchini Bread

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3 cups sugar

1 cup vegetable oil

4 eggs, beaten

1/3 cup water

2 cups grated zucchini

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine oil, eggs, water, zucchini and lemon juice. Mix wet ingredients into dry, add nuts and fold in. Bake in 2 standard loaf pans, sprayed with nonstick spray, for 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean. Alternately, bake in 5 mini loaf pans for about 45 minutes. (Copyright 2012 Television Food Network G.P. All Rights Reserved)

Comments (4)