SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colorblind1961

Keep Original Hardwood or Rip it Up?

colorblind1961
10 years ago

Hi all....haven't posted here in a while, but know this forum is a wealth of knowledge. I am finally putting in hardwoods on my lower level. I live in a typical Center Hall Colonial with a fairly large Foyer, Dining Room to the right, Formal Living Room to the left, Kitchen and Great Room straight ahead of Foyer.

My Foyer, 2 Foyer Closets and Powder Room all have the original 2 1/4" beveled Red Oak Hardwood the builder put in 13 years ago (approx. 225sq. ft.). I got several quotes to keep the original Red Oak in the Foyer and just add and match with non-beveled edge Red Oak to the Dining Room and Formal Living Room. The contractors said I would notice a slight difference between the beveled and non-beveled edge, but everything else will look good and match.

I also got quotes to rip the original Red oak out and replace everything with all new flooring...engineered handscraped... great price, but a little more than the above option.

My question to you.....has anyone kept their original flooring and then matched the rest? Can you REALLY notice a difference between the beveled and non-beveled edge?

Here's a picture with a little bit of my Foyer showing the Red Oak Flooring

Here's another one showing a little of the Red Oak, with my Dining Room which is carpeted.

Comments (16)