SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyhop

Could we have a separate forum on modular homes please?

flyhop
16 years ago

Modular and manufactured homes are too different to be lumped together. The issues we have tend to be vastly different.

Please post a comment here http://letters.gardenweb.com/letters/mailed.html

Just an idea. Thanks.

Comments (40)

• adirondackgardener
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This has been discussed here already.

Personally, I see no need for two forums that will be even more lightly used than this one.

Wayne

• NVoneAcre
    16 years ago

I agree with Wayne. There is no need for a separate forum.
    Manufactured and modular homes have far more similarities than differences. Many of the problems are the same, and often those considering purchasing one are also considering purchasing the other. The forum benefits by posters being able to directly compare the two in the same forum.

flyhop, This is just a wild guess but are you a modular home owner? What are these vast differences?

• Related Discussions

Separate forum for traders with no plants to trade

Q

Comments (8)
    At one time there was a similar suggestion but I am not finding it now. It likely went away some time ago when the suggestion box was emptied...(as most things were not even suggestions, but rather questions, or problems that should have been reported correctly...another rant). Anyway...I am pretty sure it is not physically possible to move a thread from one forum to another. It can only be moved about on the particular forum...say from the Exchange page to the Conversation page, or the Gallery. At the Seed Exchange some of us were trying to encourage those who were new, with no seeds to trade, to respond to the many generous seeds for postage offers. Maybe something similar to that would help at the Plant Exchange...encouraging them to take members up on their 'offers'. There is really no easy answer. I've (barely) started on trying to work up some additional FAQ at the Seed Exchange, addressing several 'new' member issues...no email link, nothing to trade, no want list, how to correctly handle sending what is needed for a Seeds For Postage offer...etc. Possibly when I get those finished, I could address something similar at the Plant Exchange....suggesting growing from seed if they have nothing to trade...or encouraging them to reconsider what they may have to trade...almost everyone has some sort of shrubs or something that they could list cuttings of for trading. Additionally, instead of it being a forum for new members or those with nothing to trade to post, I think it should be a place where members could offer up what they have extra. Then they could decide who might be the best responder to receive it...due to it being listed as a want on their 'want list' or considering hardiness, and location and cost of mailing, etc. Can you tell I too have given this some thought for some time now? I agree...deleting the posts (because the Special Instructions were either not noticed, not read, or just ignored) could definitely be a real turn off for a brand new member. By the same token, new members asking for seeds or plants for postage put the original poster on the spot of either having to just say no or else share what they really did not have extra to share. Sue
    ...See More

Modular Home drywall cracks - typical?

Q

Comments (18)
    I checked this w/e - I thought I remembered big honkin' bolts from the set, sure enough, double sill plate is bolted to foundation. No movement there. But DH says all the lumber was green(er) than they used for stick-built houses 20 years ago. It's not Douglas Fir either. Chris - no moose here, just deer and a couple bobcats (I watched one walk 2 ft from my slider (up 4 ft in the air, no deck yet) and past my bay window (over walkout basement) and stalk/kill a squirrel. No one at DH's work believed him "b/c bobcats are nocturnal." Well, it was noon but overcast. Oh, we also have a bear (seen the claw marks on the trees, neighbors have seen him but we haven't). DH wants to get a pistol permit b/c he doesn't like carrying rifle with him when he goes out for a walk. Our (800 ft) driveway is in a subdivision with "builder's acre" lots but we have 97. Plus back up to neighbors (a mile away in a different town!) who have acreage too.
    ...See More

Need forum for just modulars

Q

Comments (27)
    Nwesterner, We had limited options, from which we had to choose. We upgraded almost everything. Our vinyl flooring in the entry and kitchen is regularly mistaken for hardwood. I won't recommend the builder, as our dealer has told us the company was sold, and quality has declined so steeply they will no longer sell this brand. In fact, it looks like they are no longer even making manufactured homes, but are specializing only in park models.(Hart homes, by Forest River, plan 154) We chose upgraded floor joists (2x8), upgraded insulation, upgraded kitchen cabinets, upgraded appliances, upgraded carpet. We took the standard Formica counter tops, because I have had granite before, and it is not as fabulous as you would think. I had the refrigerator moved a foot to eliminate a useless 1 foot section of counter between the refrigerator and kitchen wall. I got an extra foot of useful counter next to the sink that way. We eliminated the sunroom sliding patio doors as there would be no patio there and they would only be a source for heat loss and gain. We put in a regular window there instead. We moved both non master bedroom windows from the long wall onto the short wall, as that was going to look out onto the street. We had the entire home lengthened 4 feet from the original plan. 32 inches in the smaller bedrooms, 16 inches in the living dining area, which made room for our china cabinet and piano. We chose the siding, shutters, and shingles from the standard colors offered by the siding and shingle manufacturers they used. Major big names in both, Owens Corning and Certainteed. The least friendly option was the ghastly window treatments. Those went into the Goodwill bag the day we moved in.
    ...See More

iVillage: Can we have a forum for estrangement issues?

Q

Comments (7)
    Mona, go to the top of this page and click on the word "forums". A list of should pop up that says Garden Forums, Home Forums, Nature Forums. Click on Garden Forums, then go down the alphabetical list until you come to "Suggestions?".
    ...See More
  • bus_driver
    16 years ago

Having owned both manufactured and modular, I strongly disagree about them being similar. The code differences have been discussed on this forum often in the past. Those who do plumbing, electrical and HVAC on both readily recognize the significant differences But I do think discussing both on one forum has some advantages.

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

To further clarify, I own both types at this time. I have lived in both types. I have done extensive electrical and plumbing work (new installations, upgrades and repairs) in both types. The modular, built to the same code as site/stick-built houses, is not by any means inferior to site/stick-built houses. One could cite examples where modular is better than some site-built examples. HUD code homes are different in many ways. But I applaud those who furnish for themselves the best housing they can afford rather than relying on public housing. HUD Code helps accomplish this.

• NVoneAcre
    16 years ago

BusDriver, once you would have been dead-on with those statements, that is no long true. At least with better built mfg homes, the components, including plumbing and electrical and HVAC are the SAME as stick built. I can go into any lumber/hardware store and get parts off the shelf to fix anything in my home. They are not inferior or different in anyway. We do agree that having these types of construction in one forum is benefitial to those having questions or considering purchasing either. HUD codes are performance based and a minimum standard by which all MFG homes are inspected and built. Most better built MFG homes are built way above these standards and yes good enough to pass local building codes, just like their close cousin the modular. Manufactured homes must compete with modular and stick homes and have evolved to meet the demands of consumers especially in the last few years. Anyone who makes a blanket statement that all manufactured homes are inferior to modular or stick, have not visited a quality Mfg Home factory in the last 3 years.

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

The mobile homes use a subfloor product made especially for them. It has some great properties if kept dry but fails very quickly if wet. It is marked for mobile home use only. HUD code homes use 1 1/2" drains for the washer and shower, other codes require 2". No need for me to cite more examples, agreement will not happen. I knew we would not agree, so that is the way it is.

• NVoneAcre
    16 years ago

Agreement is not necessary. I respect that others have their opinions. Again this is not about code but what is actually used in the construction. I believe our subfloor is CresDek (sp?). I know it has greenboard in the wet areas. I'm not sure about the drain size but they work flawlessly. Informed consumers are driving a lot of the innovation in all housing markets. My biggest problem is the blanket statements that ALL manufactured homes use this or that, without it being true in today's market. I will say it once more, quality manufactured homes are built on par with modular (often in the same factories with the same building materials) and yes even stick built. I also think we can agree that visiting the factories is a great way to see how various modular and manufactured homes are actually built, and with what. No-one has to believe you or me, they can and should, go see for themselves.

• bigdee
    16 years ago

I totally agree with bus driver. There should be a separate forum for modular home owners. It is sad that people confuse manufactured with modular. They are not similar in any way, a modular home is NOT a manufactured home. I guess some of the confusion comes from mobile home dealers (manufactured) who pass off their product as modular. A true "systems built" home is not produced in a mobile home factory; however some mobile home factories have re-tooled to build modular..because manufactured home sales are declining.
    Do you want to know the difference between a modular and manufactured home?.....if you buy it from a salesman on a lot it is probably manufacturedÂ.if you negotiate with a licensed building contractor it is modular. If it is manufactured it will have a metal frame and wheels along with a metal registration tag stating that it is a HUD home.
    No matter what these two guys on this forum say, manufactured homes do not compare to "system built" homes, you can not make a silk purse out of a sowÂs ear. Modular does not belong in this forum.

• JoanM
    16 years ago

I recently bought a piece of property in FL that is zoned for HUD manufactured (mobile homes) or DCA modular homes so I have been researching this issue. No site built homes are allowed just yet.

So far I have only visited one factory in FL and the tour was more of a movie and a quick walk through the factory to get to the movie screening/lecture area. I was able to see a HUD home being built but did not get the chance to see a modular being assembled at this factory. I was very surprised to see that everything was stapled together rather than nailed. I am determined to find out if the FL building code allows the DCA inspected modular home to be stapled together or if that is only HUD. Anyway, the reason for this post is that I found a real clear article explaining the differences as it relates to the state of FL. Here it is:

Mobile vs. Modular Homes:
    What Are The Differences?

Both types of houses are built in a factory and transported to the site of installation; but differ significantly in the code/standard to which they are constructed, i.e. HUD vs. FBC.
    Mobile homescommonly referred to by the sales industry as "manufactured homes", are built to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) standards; are usually installed on temporary foundations (concrete pads, dry-stacked blocks and tie-downs); are usually not considered real property; and generally depreciate in value similar to an automobile. Insurance rates will generally be higher for mobile homes, especially in Florida. This industry is regulated in Florida by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV). Upon installation, a mobile homes wheels and axles may be removed, but the integral chassis must stay in place. To be acceptable in Florida, a mobile home must bear the HUD label and be installed by a mobile home installer licensed by DHSMV.
    Modular homesare designed, built, permitted and inspected to the Florida Building Code (FBC), and must be installed on permanent foundations (e.g., poured footers, stem walls & poured piers or engineered slabs, just like site built homes) that are designed and built specifically for that home by a contractor licensed by the Department of Business & Professional Regulation (DBPR). It is a violation of Florida Statutes for a mobile home installer to install a modular home. To be acceptable in Florida, a modular home must bear the insignia of the Florida Department of Community Affairs (DCA) on the inside of the cover of the homes electrical panel. They are considered real property when installed on a permanent foundation, and insured as such.
    NOTE: A few modular manufacturers continue to produce their homes on a mobile home type chassis (called "on-frame" construction, which is allowed in the FBC) and transport them on wheels and axles just like mobile homes; as opposed to most who construct [without the chassis] on typical floor joist type construction and transport the modules on a flat bed trailer, lifting them into place onsite with a crane. No matter the method of construction, the modular home must be installed by a licensed contractor on a permanent foundation, as specified in chapter 428.4 FBC.

Florida Facts for Customers

A modular dwelling bearing a department insignia of approval can be installed in a subdivision of conventionally constructed homes.
    The Factory Built Housing Act was amended in 1979 to include commercial buildings produced in manufacturing facilities.
    Upon receipt of consumer complaints alleging that a building is deficient in the codes, staff investigates the complaint; identifies the code deficiencies and establishes a timetable to complete correction of the deficiencies.
    Frequently Asked Questions about Manufactured Buildings

Can a modular dwelling be installed in a subdivision of conventional, site-built homes?

Yes, provided it is compatible with the existing, conventional dwellings.

• NVoneAcre
    16 years ago

BigDee, Once again you are painting ALL manufactured homes with a 30 year old brush that no longer applies. I will not rehash the former postings - I would encourage new readers to this forum to go back and read them. You and I will never agree on this, and that's OK. I will absolutely concede that there are crappy built manufactured homes (that are stapled together) just like there are poorly constructed modular and stick built homes (that are stapled together). No matter what you buy it's important to see how and with what, they are built. I live in a well built manufactured home, built with standard construction grade lumber and materials (better than what I've seen in some big box stores). It is well insulated, 2x6 walls, 40 lb roof, solid oak cabinets, tape/textured walls, 6 panel doors, low-e windows, etc. It sits on and is attached to (via code) a poured foundation and stem wall. The "so called" metal frame consists of 4 giganic "I" beams which support the house. All I am saying here is that there ARE quality manufactured homes built on par with modular. While the code requirements for building are different for MFG & Modular homes, that does NOT mean the construction or materials are necessarily different in any way. HUD codes are a minimum standard and are performance based not materials based. The factory that built my house also builds modulars. No, my house was not sold to me as a modular, in fact it would have cost thousands more to be certified, set and finished as such with NO difference in the home itself (we asked about that specifically). They use the same building materials and methods of construction at the factory. We ordered our house custom, not off a lot but I don't see that as a major point, since I've heard that Modular homes also have lot models which can be purchased. As stated by JoanM, the reason one would buy a modular is that it can be placed most anywhere a stick built can be built because of zoning restrictions. Modulars require extra certification and usually cranes to be set and local building contractors to finish the construction, thus pushing up the price significantly. I would steer clear of factories (modular or mfg) where one could not view the actual construction process and materials used. Manufactured homes NOW being installed are increasingly (and maybe predominately) being put on permanent foundations (not temporary as stated above) so they can easily qualify for 30 yr financing. JoanM, I'll be interested in hearing if the Modulars were constructed differently than the Mfged homes in the factory you visited. The specs for our foundation came from the factory and were engineered for the loads and load points of our house. A local contractor used those specs to dig and pour the foundation (just like modular I suspect). The market is pushing the manufactured housing industry towards better built homes, in part because consumers are becoming more informed and demanding that. Visit the factory and decide for yourself, surely we can at least agree on that point?

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Nvoneacre, would you mind sharing which brand you went with, you sound very happy with your home.

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

There is nothing inherently inferior in the use of staples. Staples are more easily collated (by their manufacturer) for loading in the guns. Nails present special problems with collating, but most of the types in use work well. Recently I wanted to replace the shower base in a double wide, 1 1/2" drain. I did not like the very limited selection available at the mobile home supply place. So I went to Lowes and bought one I liked. The new one had 2" drain (no other size at Lowes) and NO standard fitting would adapt the size difference within the limited joist depth of the double wide- the trap had to be freeze protected within the insulation envelope- and the outlet of the trap had to be at the same level as the previous one. So I made a fitting on the lathe in my shop- from ABS. It does not have the NSF label, but works perfectly. I am glad the NV is pleased and am certain that the satisfaction is justified. But the differences are many and significant. But no evidence will be persuasive for NV. Luke16:31.

• christopherh
    16 years ago

?.....if you buy it from a salesman on a lot it is probably manufactured.if you negotiate with a licensed building contractor it is modular...."

NOTHING could be farther from the truth!

I purchased my MODULAR from a salesman on a lot that sold BOTH modular AND manufactured housing. In PA where I lived previously you also could purchase either manufactured OR modular.

In MASS there's a company that just sells modulars. And they have salesmen on a lot. But they do NOTHING else! You are responsible for EVERYTHING else! Cellar, crane, set, finish carpentry, everything. You hand the driver a check for the modular when he shows up and their part is finished. And they sell a LOT of houses! Because real Yankees in New England are a "can do" type. And many act as their own general contractor and save a boatload of money.

In PA you could get a modular built to the same specs as a manufactured home. 2x4 exterior walls 24" on center, no Tyvec housewrap, shingles right on the roof sheathing with no tar paper or ice dam prevent. That's because PA at that time had NO state building codes. (1980s)

Up here those homes (either manufactured OR modular) would not be permitted. Period. No federal laws are "compromised" as "compromise" means lessen. The state codes are much stricter here. You can ADD TO the Federal standards, but you may NOT lessen them. Just as California has stricter auto pollution laws than other states. They ADDED TO the Federal regulations.

Florida requires tie downs. That is not a Federal requirement. Vermont does not require tiedowns as we don't get windy enough to blow a home over. But we DO require snow loads higher than Florida.

• lynxville
    16 years ago

I own neither manufactured or modular home. I have been to many dealers and a couple of factories to see how modulars were built. They are perfectly square and everything is glued and nailed. Yes they were on lots for sale and they had salesman.

Some of the information in this discussion I think is old news. The new manufactured homes I have seen lately are gorgeous inside, with sun rooms, bump outs, and attached decks and front porches. These also met all my state codes, so you could put them anywhere. Put one of these on a basement and it will not depreciate in value at all. The prices are lower than modular. They also came with china cabinets, with lights, appliances, whirlpool tub, sit down shower, furnace, and water heater. I would say they a quite a value. They also were decorated very nice. I would say keep an open mind, visit the factory, ask for references.

• adirondackgardener
    16 years ago

If any confusion exists, it may be a result of threads like this that offer misleading or untrue opinions.

>.....if you buy it from a salesman on a lot it is probably manufactured?

The modular manufacturers I've worked with sell through builder-dealers, many who operate from model centers staffed by sales representatives.

>I guess some of the confusion comes from mobile home dealers (manufactured) who pass off their product as modular.

That is fraud. If you do have actual and not the usual anecdotal or hearsay evidence of that, you should report them to local authorities.

>I totally agree with bus driver. There should be a separate forum for modular home owners. It is sad that people confuse manufactured with modular.

That might be true, bigdee, but in my 17 years in the modular industry, I haven't come across a single person that didn't know the difference between the two. You may know of people that are so easily confused, but I don't think having separate forums will do much to help those folk, nor do I think combining these two types of factory built homes into this single forum adds to their confusion.

Separate the two and you've eliminated about the only aspect of the subject that gets any traffic: threads like this "us vs. them" topic that is just about the main sign of life here.

Expect to see this thread repeated again a couple of months.

Wayne

• markjames
    16 years ago

As a builder/developer/investor I see confusion simply from the appearance of some of the homes. I owned a stick built ranch built in 2001 that people thought was either a doublewide or modular because of the vinyl siding, low pitch roof and block foundation. I had driven by it dozens of times and thought the same thing until I bought the neighboring properties as well as the property with the ranch home. The owner was quite upset that many people thought it was a doublewide trailer.

• NVoneAcre
    16 years ago

Joamn,
    We purchased a Nashua, built in Boise ID. It is a wonderful home and we are thrilled with it. I don't think they ship to FL, but there are surely manufactured homes built near you that are quality built (expect to pay more). One of the main advantages of manufactured homes vs modular is that they are usually more complete and ready to occupy than modulars upon arrival. Upper end manufactured homes are often indistinguishable in appearance from stick. Some now have 6/12 pitch roofs, add-on porches, log or cementboard siding, and loads of interior options, room sized house pantries, etc.

In terms of comparison: manufactured homes are just that. Homes which are manufactured off site usually in sections (or modules) under climate controlled conditions. Nashua uses jigs to build the walls square, presumably like modulars. There are lots of advantages to this type of construction over stick build. To say that manufactured and modular homes are vastly different is simply untrue. I am amazed that some modular home owners can't seem to let go of the fact that there are indeed quality manufactured homes that could even possibly rival THEIR modulars in appearance, and construction quality. Again I would encourage prospective buyers to visit several factories and examine the specs carefully so they know what they are buying from the guts out. You don't need to believe me or anyone else on this forum, just do smart comparison shopping. We visited 2 before buying (Nashua & Guerdon). I've heard that Guerdon in Boise now only makes modulars but previously made both manufactured and modular. We thought the Nashuas were slightly better for our needs, but they are very competitive in terms of quality.

• christopherh
    16 years ago

Manufactured homes have come a loooong way in just a few short years. Why? Becaust the customer drives th eindustry and the customer wants more in their home. Not just bells and whistles but more in the basics.
    The manufactured/modular dealer where I purchased my home has a cape cod manufactured home on the lot. Complete with a second story and dormers. Once this house is set on a foundation I challenge people like Bigdee to find it among the other homes in the community. It will look JUST like all the other capes. And it WILL appreciate in value just like a "normal" home.

• markjames
    16 years ago

Some modular homes here in upstate New York have been well built for many years. There are some nice two story models, but most people in the market for the larger high end homes build stick built homes, buy existing new construction stick built homes or buy older stick built homes.

I looked into using modular homes for a small building development. They had models that met the square footage requirements, but there were deed restrictions prohibiting them, and the pricing wasn't a bargain. (More of a speed factor)

As far as appreciating in value, it's just like many other homes. It depends on the region of the country, location, construction quality, foundation, mechanical systems, size, style, garage, deck(s), exterior/interior finishes, luxury features, lot size, acreage, landscaping.....

Regardless of construction quality, there's still a stigma attached to manufactured & modular housing. I think some of the deed restrictions, and much of the prejudice are due to the size, style & exterior finishes rather than structural integrity.

If I drive by a home, and my builder's eye can't tell it's a modular, or suspect it's a modular home, then they've done a good job designing the home.

• christopherh
    16 years ago

What are the deed restrictions? I live in a community that has a deed restriction not allowing manufactured homes. But 50% of the homes are indeed modular. So the restrictions are not violated.

There's an entire community nearby where ALL the homes are modular. If you want to see one of the designs look at the link below.

But there IS a misconception about the costs involved in modulars. They cost the SAME when finished as a site biult home. The land costs the same, the septic and well costs are the same, lot clearing is the same, cellar is the came, driveway, landscaping, etc are all the same as a site built home. The ONLY advantage is TIME. And in the northern climates where the first snow is around Columbus Day and the last snow is around Mother's Day, modulars are a great way to have a good home in a short time.

But they cost the same as a site built home unless you are acting as the general contractor.

• markjames
    16 years ago

Deed restrictions, (restrictive covenants) are different than zoning restrictions. Deed restrictions are used to protect the quality of life, and value of surrounding land and homes. Many of the building lots, acreage and farm land I've purcahsed for building and development have various deed restrictions.

I agree that there's a misconception concerning pricing when you add the cost of land, surveys, plans, permits, excavation, foundation/basement, well, septic (gas/water/sewer connections), power, driveway, sidewalk, lansdscaping, extras etc.

Some people assume since the homes are manufactured in a factory that cheap labor, assembly lines, quantity material discounts etc will translate into substantial savings.

When there were fewer zoning restrictions, fewer deed restrictions and when acreage and building lots in nice areas were cheaper, mobile homes were a very inexpensive way to live. I've sold quite a few used doublewides cheaply that I aquired when purchasing land.

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

Joanm,
    We bought a modular home from Precision Homes in Ocilla, Georgia a year ago. It was part of a business venture and not a home we were planning to live in. I won't go into details as far as the business deal end of it but I will say that we have had a number of people who are familiar with modulars say that it is the best built modular they have ever seen, the materials used and the construction of it.
    The one we bought is a 2 story, 2200 sq ft - 3 bedrooms, 2 bath on the bottom floor and a bath, bedroom and a large loft area that could be another bedroom, playroom, office, etc. It is called The Yorkshire Cape. They have many plans, several 2 stories and they build to the Codes for Florida as far as wind loads, etc.
    Do you mind my asking where you are located? I think there is a dealer for Precision in Gainesville.

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Thanks Mboston, I did not catch that company in any of my searches and it looks like they do modulars in FL. My land is in Martin county. Maybe I should start a new thread looking for recommendations.

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

If I remember correctly from our visit to their factory, they said they have been building modulars for people in the Keyes for years. We are in Central Florida and we do have different wind load requirements than South Florida would and so some models might not be able to be located there. When I mentioned people thought it was the best they had seen constrcuted, those people were people who had worked on finishing the interiors, putting them together etc so they should know what is usually used.

Did you find their website? As I said you can go and visit their factory, which I would recommend.

• member_name
    16 years ago

I don't understand why there is any resistance to having a seperate thread or forum for modular homes.
    Modular homes and mobile homes are completely different animals.

If you want proof of the need for a seperate forum, I just spent close to an hour perusing this forum looking for information on Modular homes and 99% of that time was wasted as I kept reading about mobile homes.

If anyone knows of a good place to go (here or somewhere else) for recommendations and real-life experiences with MODULAR homes, I would appreciate the lead.
    We are trying to decide, based on cost and other fators, whether to go modular or to do a stick built home.

Thank you kindly.

• bigdee
    16 years ago

I totally agree that there should be a separate forum.....modular home discussions do not fit into this forum. I would love to share my experiences with modular, but all I get are rebuttals from mobile home owners who have no idea of what a modular home is.

• adirondackgardener
    16 years ago

"I totally agree that there should be a separate forum.....modular home discussions do not fit into this forum. I would love to share my experiences with modular, but all I get are rebuttals from mobile home owners who have no idea of what a modular home is."

It's possible that I may have sent a rebuttal or two your way and I am not a mobile home owner. In fact, I think I criticised some of your statements earlier in this thread though I am not a "mobile home owner." I've worked in the modular home industry for over 17 years. I know of many other contributers here who are also modular fans.

Are there any specific things that can't be said in front of the mobile home folks? The "us vs. them" thing is getting a bit worn.

Wayne

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

I am completely sold on the modular concept. But I have seen problems in the execution of the concept. In some cases, employees were rushed so that quality work was not possible or there was no supervision and shoddy work was not noticed until after the units were in place at the final site. The situations were at least one of the above, perhaps both. Modular manufacturers insulate themselves from the final purchaser, perhaps on the advice of the lawyers. But the broken lines of communication do not help the consumer and do serve as the basis of many of the complaints. This especially true when custom plans or modifications to standard designs are being done.

• lolitta1223
    16 years ago

If you get a title to the home it is a mobile/manufactured. Maybe change the forum to System Built Housing and include panelized, ICF's etc. They are all built unconventionally or off site. I agree that mobiles are way different from modulars and that is why many banks will not lend on mobiles/doublewides older than 1976. You can also get values on them on NADA just like cars, boats, etc. I live in a 3400 sq. ft modular and with the basement, garage, and third floor walk up attic it is over 6600 sq ft total. 9/12 roof pitch. I doubt that could have been built with stacked mobiles. Anyone saying they are the same probably are defensive to what they may own or have owned. Permanent foundation or not the differences are drastic. Mobiles - single or double are fine homes and as long as the sales guy did not rip you off they can serve as a quality dwelling for many years.

• black-thumb
    16 years ago

I'm not here to argue either side but I did have a question and this question isn't to say anyone should do this or anything but I was just curious.

Has anyone who wishes to discuss Modular homes ever opened a thread in the Building a Home section? Just curious as to why not?

• black-thumb
    16 years ago

I just wanted to say hope my question doesn't offend anyone it was just something that crossed my mind when I saw the thread was still alive and kicking. It just crossed my mind that since Modulars are considered the same as Stick Built then it might fare better in the Building a Home section.

Anyways just something htat popped into my head. Has it popped into anyone elses head? Hope it isn't taken the wrong way. :)

• love2gardenn
    16 years ago

Well, I'm living in a modular and do think its much better made than a mobile home but I still have my old mobile and still like it too.

If you want to make suggestions to get a different forum
    going here is the place to do it.

• bigdee
    16 years ago

Good question. Ive always wondered about this myself since modular has an obvious distinction from "manufactured" homes (they are entirely two different animals). Modular buildings are constructed, taxed, zoned, financed and insured the same as site built..the only difference is site built homes ARE 60 to 70 percent manufactured whereas modular is 80 to 90 percent manufactured (maybe the "building a home" forum needs to move to this forum. The word manufactured is insignificant, anything can be classed as manufactured; mobile homes, bridges, space shuttles, tin cans. It is in knowing what the product is and how it is manufactured that is important. You can find manufactured fine china or manufactured paper plates. This is a great country but the American public is slow to educate themselves and slow to give up old myths and paradigms. A modular home is NOT a mobile home and does not fit this forum.

• NVoneAcre
    16 years ago

I can't help but wonder why some modular owners even post here? This surely must be beneath them to even have modular and manufactured spoken in the same sentence. This forum is named "Manufactured Homes", if modulars don't fit the category why on earth do you even visit, let alone post here? The reason is simple you want to put down those of us who have chosen quality and value over snootiness. Here's a news flash - your modular house is NOT better than mine, in fact they share the same gene pool. I'd be pleased to stack mine up next to yours, board by board and nail by nail any day of the week. I am so tired of modular owners saying things that are simply lies about todays quality manufactured homes. If you need to talk about 1976 mobile homes compared to your McModular to make you feel good you are way out of touch with reality.

Lolitta - Actually today's manufactured homes do qualify for 30 year financing when placed on a foundation JUST like your modular. Please do tell me how your home is better than mine? Actually I think Nashua or Guerdon have built stacked manufactured homes, so you are wrong about that too. And guess what, my house will last just as long as yours since it was built with the same components as yours, standard grade lumber, wiring, plumbing, HVAC, etc. And like yours it was manufactured in a factory. Wow would that mean that your MODULAR is a manufactured home? Oh sorry, I didn't mean to call your house a dirty name. Am I defensive about the quality of my home - you bet I am. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

BigDee- We agree at last. "This is a great country but the American public is slow to educate themselves and slow to give up old myths and paradigms". NEWS FLASH - YOU are the one who needs to give up the old myths and paradigms re: manufactured homes. You need to realize that the quality M/Homes of today are far and away better than even 5 years ago, and YES even as good as your modular. Modulars and Manufactured Homes are way more alike than they are different. Many are built in the same factories using the same components, lumber, and construction techniques. My suggestion for those who don't think their McModulars fit in this category, stay away from this "trailer trash" forum.

• christopherh
    16 years ago

As a modular owner I agree with Nvoneacre 100%.

The snobs that think as they do, cannot be changed, so why try? After all the discussions here about how manufactured housing has changed through the years, I guess some refuse to see the facts.

They talk about starting a thread on the building a home forum. But did they do it? No, I did, just to see the reaction. And the reaction was positive. But over there they post about whether or not they should have glass doorknobs or brass doorknobs, not on how good certain types of construction is.

So let's review. If you put it on a foundation on your own property, just like a "real" house, you CAN finance a manufactured home for 30 years. They WILL appreciate in value just like a "real" house. You can get many styles including multi level homes. You can get different looks including log siding. You can get different roof pitches, not just 3/12 like it was 30 years ago.

Yes, you can get a basic model to set in a park, and that's still the main style beinng sold today. That means many people that otherwise cannot afford housing can live with dignity. But not all manufactured housing is like that. Oh, and again, there is that park in Florida where the prices start at $1,000,000.

And those that look down their noses at manufactured housing, well that's THEIR problem. But the biggest insult is where someone says modular home dicsussions shouldn't even be here! But s/he comes here on a regular basis.

• alex johnson
    3 years ago

If you are not going to build a basement, the prefabricated building ground concrete is very easy and has a high tolerance to workmanship defects.

The perimeter of the seating surface of your building is dug with a depth of 50 cm and a width of 50-60 cm, gravel of 15 cm is thrown, and a concrete concrete is placed on it. You turn a reinforced concrete wall with a height of about 1m and a width of 25cm on the shoe.

You fill the pool-like structure with excavation and squeeze it. A deck of concrete is poured on it by placing 15 cm stone chips.

The prefabricated company gives you the measurements of the places of this concrete and the waste water clean water drain on the concrete. (It would be good if you do heat insulation to the floor.)

https://karmod.us/modular-homes/ 

If the land correction and excavation works continue for 1 day, we say gravel and concrete lugs for 1 day. Let's say 5 days for the walls to be cast iron and concrete and the concrete to shrink a little. If top concrete is poured for 2 days, it can be ready in 9 days in total. If you bring the prefabricants after a week and ten days, they will set up in 3 days.

Afterwards, a thin concrete is poured into the prefabricate, just outside the screed, at the bottom of the wall and waterproofing is made for 1 day.

If floors, kitchen bathroom takes 5-6 days. And if you can match the arrival and departure of these masters and materials, finally, the paint team of the prefabricants will finish their work in 2 days.

You can enter the house within 30 days.

• Alex Kr
    last year

Modular houses also differ significantly in price and in their parameters. But I want to say that even up to $ 130,000 you can find a good solid house. If you evaluate, for example, the page, modular homes for sale https://www.thehomesdirect.com/homes/, then you can see that there is such an option, but the house is not new, but very well maintained, 3 bedrooms, good area. However, this is without a deeper market analysis.

• Владислава Гороховская
    6 months ago

I recently purchased a modular home from Unitbud, and I can relate to your observations regarding their cost-effectiveness and customization options. The initial sticker price of modular homes can be quite attractive when compared to traditional stick-built homes, but as you rightly mentioned, it's essential to consider additional costs like land, permits, and utility connections.

• Владислава Гороховская
    6 months ago

In my experience, the overall cost savings were significant. The efficiency of the modular construction process, along with the ability to customize various aspects of the home, allowed me to get the house I wanted at a price that suited my budget. I also prefer a more compact living space, so the option for smaller homes was a plus.

Dealing with permits, finding suitable land, and getting connected to utilities can be a bit of a challenge, but I found that many modular home companies, including Unitbud, offer assistance in navigating these aspects. They often have established networks and expertise to streamline the process. It's worth noting that the specific requirements can vary by location, so it's important to research local regulations and consult with the company to ensure a smooth transition.

Sponsored