SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Modular Home drywall cracks - typical?

2ajsmama
15 years ago

Hi, I don't know whether this is the right forum or I should post on Building forum. We had a modular set summer 2007. Reputable company, been in business 25 years, set crew came from factory. 2x6 exterior walls. I hired one of the best concrete guys around for foundation, the foundation has no cracks. But from day 1 we have had cracks that kept coming back along seams in kitchen ceiling, even after repeated patching. After a few months we had cracks in every ceiling in the house except the mudroom (even the half bath and WIC!), downstairs was the worst. We also had a lot of cracks over/under windows. Our builder/dealer cut out some drywall under windows and floated sheetrock over high/low studs, that helped. After a protracted debate with factory and testing of the foam adhesive, they finally came and retaped all the cracks in Feb 2008. I had to pay to retexture and repaint ceilings. Now some of the worst cracks/seam ripples (tape edges? some the paint isn't cracking, but has a thin bulge if that makes sense) are coming back. Plus last night I noticed a nice straight crack (must be a seam) in the mudroom ceiling. The ones under the windows that were just retaped and not cut out and redone are cracking too (esp. the DR, where I had to scarf baseboard b/c the stud was pushed so far out it wouldn't lie flat). Worst crack is along the I beam where master BR spans the front/back modules.

We have found numerous framing issues with interior door and some window headers, have had to cut drywall to get casing to lie flat. Also found downstairs marriage wall stud twisted at edge of cased opening, must have happened during set but short of cutting out drywall, cutting out part of stud and putting in cripple, we can't fix that so will have to cut wall to get casing on there too (all trim tacked in place and I pulled off to paint so didn't notice it wasn't flat to walls). I also have some cracking along the 2x10 main beam in the basement (back module) that a civil engineer looked at (didn't calculate) but said was OK b/c it was sandwiched with main beam in front and overengineered lally column placement.

To get to the point, is this kind of cracking expected as part of settling? DH says wait a few years and then repair/repaint again. How long is long enough to settle? Some cracking may have been due to 1st heating season (we keep it 68 in winter but only 30% RH), but we have had really minimal cracking/checking of pine doors and casings (even the ones I haven't gotten around to finishing yet like closets) so I wouldn't think drywall would be affected this 2nd winter. TIA

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville