SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

HE2+ FL washer & gas dryer for $1014: deal or no deal?

celticmoon
17 years ago

The Maytag repairman pronounced my 19 year old washer dead at 11:10 this morning. Fearing this, I noted over the Christmas weekend a $100 off special until noon today at my nearby Sears scratch n dent emporium. So I scanned this forum, then raced there and picked out a white pair of FL HE2, the larger 3.5 washer and the gas dryer. They say the list is $1850 on the pair. So $1014 is a good deal, yes?

I want to obsess, but I want to get out from under this growing pile of laundry. I want to obsess and redesign my laundry room, but I gotta get a washer in *now*.... I've read here about the HE mildew problem - think I can handle leaving door ajar and wiping and running occasional hot bleach cycle. Laundry room is conditioned air and part of house. Is that the major HE complaint or concern?

The old Maytag was the sudsaver model with the most attractive (and never used) adjacent tub to hold and reuse water. I never did that (here 8 years). Look forward to ditching that in favor of regular sink set into counter and laundry basket storage below. Will need to run gas line to hook up new dryer (open basemnet accessable right below has gas to water heater, furnace, etc.) - seems worth it for long run to switch to gas, yes?

I can pull the trigger and get these delivered right away and the washer hooked up immediately. Deal with the laundry mountain using the old dryer. *then* figure out the laundry room renovation - really like the idea of the switch to gas and a longer counter and more usable sink. Dryer can sit in garage until needed. Good plan, yes?

Please just say yes/yes/yes/yes.

Or would you counsel me to use a laundromat while I research more, or get a stopgap washer and/or find a better deal? This is happening very fast and not at the ideal time of year for me....My preference would be to obsess more - which could be a bad thing....

I'm not seeking laundry nirvana, just a reasonable and fast solution to a growing mountain of laundry.

Thanks!!

Comments (7)