SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fran1523

Antarctic Trip Report - Part 2

fran1523
13 years ago

Wednesday, Jan. 19 found the Polar Star in the South Shetland Islands where we are eager to make our first landing. The wake-up call came at 4 a.m. and by 4:30 we were dressed and lining up on deck to board the zodiacs. Dressing includes a thermal layer, a fleece layer, a quilted down jacket, waterproof pants and waterproof shell jacket. Then one dons wellington boots, hats, gloves, a life jacket, and a back pack for cameras and extra gloves or mittens in case the first pair gets wet. I was a little bit nervous about getting in and out of the zodiacs but tit was not a problem. Once on shore at Half Moon Island, I get my first look at chinstrap penguins in their own environment. They are noisy creatures and hang out in large groups on rocky slopes.

By 7:30 a.m. we are back on board for breakfast and the Polar Star is underway. By this time we are seeing occasional icebergs and more and different birds, so we spend a lot of time on deck taking pictures and anticipating what is to come. The afternoon landing at Hannah Point is home to chinstrap and gentoo penguins. The gentoo penguin chicks are only half grown and always hungry. They literally chase their mothers up and down the rocky slopes looking for food and are very entertaining to watch. There are some plant fossils up a short slope and a pile of 8 or 9 elephant seals lies together moulting. On this day we actually make a third landing after dinner at Deception Island. This is an old whaling station and home to more penguins. Because of its protected location and gentle slope, a few brave passengers are allowed to take a polar dip in the chilly waters. I was not one of them. The lounge and the bar this evening are full of the excitement we all feel after our first day of exploring these islands. Here's a shot of a zodiac with the ship in the distance.

Comments (4)